Your Go bag

Guest dwrd

Guest RISC777

I appreciated the article on self defense for younger kids / teenagers. I was thinking about my youngest, but he's about at the point that he might break my wrist or such with too much 'practice.' ROFL

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see alot of responses here with items more attuned to basic survival and/or camping scenarios. If that's what you're into, great, (and hey, this forum is about survival) but I think if I ever have to get out of the house it'll more than likely be one of these scenarios:

-earthquake

-tornado

-chemical spill

-fire

If my house burns down, I'm not going to need rope and a knife. I'm going to need my insurance information and a change of socks. None of these events are global, national or even regional. They're all local, with the possible exception of earthquake. So if I have to leave my home and maybe even my city because of them, I'll still be within a close drive of hotels and restaurants. That's why I don't pack any food in my bag, though I do keep plenty stored at home and some in the cars. I guess my point is that there are different types of emergency situations, and the ones most likely to affect me are simply not going to require me taking to the woods and living off the land. The more I think about this, the more I wonder how well a bag would really serve me. I guess it's better to have one than not, but I think that it's much more important to have things like a large, readily available sum of money (for staying at a hotel, buying new clothes, etc.), gas for your car, and a network of people you trust who can help. If you have all of these and nothing else, you should pretty well get through any situation that requires you to leave your home on short notice.

Keeping your records and info is important! The purpose of a go bag though, is to be prepared for ANY situation. My survival bag in my car has enough to supply me comfortably should I have to ditch the car and walk home. If the earthquake ever does hit Memphis is rubble and I want to be ale to have what I need to survive in any conditions. Being prepared for only certain scenarios is not really being prepared.

I see alot of responses here with items more attuned to basic survival and/or camping scenarios. If that's what you're into, great, (and hey, this forum is about survival) but I think if I ever have to get out of the house it'll more than likely be one of these scenarios:

-earthquake

-tornado

-chemical spill

-fire

If my house burns down, I'm not going to need rope and a knife. I'm going to need my insurance information and a change of socks...

As far as insurance, birth certificate, driver's license, social security card, etc. keep copies in a safety deposit box, maybe in another city. Keep electronic copies on a thumb drive. I remember reading somewhere that following Katrina people had trouble proving who they were to insurance companies.

Guest colrmccoll

I am in a tough spot, as I could not leave. I have three kids and 5 grand kids in the area. I could not leave them. We would just hunker down in what is left and ride it out.

I have all the stuff mentioned here and it is readily available but this is the Alamo.

Guest RISC777

Any neighbors to share the Alamo with? Have 'em rally to you, should make it an easier time especially if they bring things needed for themselves.

edit:

thread jacked, apologies

perhaps a new thread on rally points, shared/mutual bunker position, whatever would be a good title

Edited by RISC777
Guest colrmccoll

Haven't discussed it with any but I am sure if the time comes we would have unexpected company. They already come over when they need some "protection."

One of my neighbors had a daughter who was stalked for a while. I rode shotgun with her several times after he threatened to kill her. He is in jail now.

Any neighbors to share the Alamo with? Have 'em rally to you, should make it an easier time especially if they bring things needed for themselves.

edit:

thread jacked, apologies

perhaps a new thread on rally points, shared/mutual bunker position, whatever would be a good title

Isn't this topic how this whole Survival Sub-forum got started?

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13830

Guest RISC777
Isn't this topic how this whole Survival Sub-forum got started?

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13830

I saw the "Your Go Bag" title and didn't know if hunkering down with neighbors, friends, etc. fit the thread. Though, grabbing a go bag to go next door or such would fit I reckon. I'd be looking for someone who had ranged their fields of fire so that the shed and fence and gate or such are all known distances so there's no time messing with range finding. :confused:

I saw the "Your Go Bag" title and didn't know if hunkering down with neighbors, friends, etc. fit the thread. Though, grabbing a go bag to go next door or such would fit I reckon. I'd be looking for someone who had ranged their fields of fire so that the shed and fence and gate or such are all known distances so there's no time messing with range finding. :confused:

:screwy:

• 2 months later...
Guest ridge rover

Let me tell you about those bags, kits or whatever you want to call them! Do it now, do it often, and if ya don't know what you are doing, you will learn by doing!

Definitions of these things are many and varied, and they are all good! And whats good for you, may suck for me! But remember you are better than the man with out any form of kit!

Some kits/bags are primary stationary for home, but can be quickly moved to your vehicle like mine. If I put my empty backpack in my truck, I can really extend my range!

Grab and go fast or grab and go slow? At least you're going! My highest priority is to have my mini kit in my pocket, everything else is just icing on the cake! But don't forget skills and experience. What good is it to have stuff, yet not have the ability to use it! And thats the truth!

And ya don't need no stinkin' toilet paper! Why the Long Hunters of our area used Ass Rags! It worked for them and works for us today! I've stinked up a rag or two in my time! Better than dem muslims, etc and their fingers!

Edited by ridge rover
additional info

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/index.html

Interesting website along the same lines from someone who went through Katrina. Speaks of not only a BOB (bug out bag) as most people see it but also of protecting your identity, health, and wealth (deeds, car titles, etc). Beware its apretty long read but was totally worth it when I read it. Now just to start putting it in practice.

• 1 month later...

Here is mine, right now I'm building it towards a 3-4 day GHB/BOB.

Camelbak Talon 1820 cu In, 3L water

Nalgene 1L

Water purification tablets

Mini Mag light

Disposable poncho

Scanner (radio shack Pro-82)

zip-ties

Altoids tin Fishing kit

sewing kit

spare AAs

Pace counting beads

compass

deck of cards

3 heavy duty trash bags

GPS (for back up purposes)

150 .22 rounds

6 power bars

a handful of MRE entrees

a modular 3-in-1 jacket "system"

spare .45 mag

FAK

Disposable lighters in most of the pockets

rite in rain notepad

kabar fixed blade

small red light

Short list of things to buy:

multi-tool

detailed area map

I know I've got some weak spots but I'm building this on a budget, so far I'm pretty pleased. I'm planning on getting a tarp but haven't really found one yet. I've got a sleeping bag but it is really old, and is very bulky. I also have an old hand held CB but it takes a lot of batteries and I'm not sure it would be worth the extra weight.

Guest Rando

[quote=ridge rover

Some kits/bags are primary stationary for home, but can be quickly moved to your vehicle like mine. If I put my empty backpack in my truck, I can really extend my range!

OK question why put an empty backpack in your truck yes it wont be heavy and you can travel a lot better but there is nothing there to help you when you get to where your going, YEA I know brain fart on your part but I couldnt help myself:D I picked up a very nice mollie rig at the last Kingsport show with frame, I also got a load bearing vest and as it comes apart I am combining the two for more capacity on ammo and small items in the pineapple pockets seing as how uncle sam wont let me have any real eggs dad- frig -it and it will still strap on to the holster belt for more carrying and load support hope to pick up a few more items this weekend at the show in K-town.

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/index.html

Interesting website along the same lines from someone who went through Katrina. Speaks of not only a BOB (bug out bag) as most people see it but also of protecting your identity, health, and wealth (deeds, car titles, etc). Beware its apretty long read but was totally worth it when I read it. Now just to start putting it in practice.

Read through a good bit of that. Really good stuff!!! Thanks for posting.

I've got a sleeping bag but it is really old, and is very bulky.

I highly recommend shopping around for a Snugpak. While not cheap, they are EXTREMELY compact. I splurged for one because it was so easy to toss in a pack or my saddle bags when I go camping, backpacking, or bike tripping. This is a random pic of one I found on the web. Their size goes up and down with the temperature rating, as well as the price. Plus, fleece liners are pretty affordable too.

9443158447db1ff30174a.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've humped one. They are decent for the price you usually can get them at, but there are more comfortable and better packs out there. Just depends on what you want. One thing an ALICE has that most other packs don't, is a quick release. Don't know if that matters to you much. And also you sure can stick a lot of crap on them though!

Guest SUNTZU

I've never been in the military, but I use a large ALICE pack for backpacking and as my BOB. Get the reinforced shoulder straps, worth every freaking penny. I need to get reinforced stitching done at the local Vietnamese alteration shop. I can carry a heck of a lot more than I need to for a long time when I'm backpacking. The BOB is parsed down, though, so I can move my fat butt as fast as I can. If I didn't use the ALICE for a BOB, then I was going to get a Maxpedition pack, since they seem to be bulletproof. I prefer my pack to be able to stand up to abuse. I've seen some of the regular backpacking gear bust wide open seven miles from the truck. Sucked to be that guy. There are some modifications other than the reinforced shoulders that I've seen people make to ALICE packs that seemed to be pretty good ideas, like adding a heavy duty YKK zipper to the bottom to access your sleeping bag. I say go for it.

I use a modular pack system - I like bags.

Must've been a cross-dresser in a past life. Not this life, though, except perhaps when I wear my lycra bike shorts (on my bicycle, of course, not to the bars) I do get some odd comments from the rodeo crowd in chaps and those gay dudes cruising around in their big pickup trucks. Or is it the gay dudes who are wearing the chaps and the rodeo guys who are in the trucks? I get them so confused... They all have those colored handkerchiefs, you know. Hard to tell 'em apart.

Anyway, back to go bags- At this point my wife and I each use 2 different packs, depending on whats going on.

We each have our 'tornado' backpacks, daypacks, for those times we hunker down avoiding the bad storms with just a few items like guns ammo money food lights a jacket and minor first aid stuff-- those bags stay basically packed and ready to go. We each have another big backpack bigger than an Alice, that can hold lots and lots. It would need to be packed a bit but critical stuff like MRE's and first aid stays packed, we would plan on needing to be gone perhaps a few days if we have the big bags. Got 'em on sale through REI outlet online. $180 decent quality big 3-4 day backpack got it for $79.

And then there is the "2 am bag" - a couple of extra loaded magazines for the G17, knife, flashlight, and pepper spray to accompany me & the cell & the G17 if I have to do any 2 am recon from hearing odd noises made by intrusive crack heads brain-eating Zombies, stray aggressive pit bulls or drunken college students, all which are distinct possibilities for us living just a rifle shot away from Orange Mound and even closer to the U of Memphis campus.

My current bag hold most everything but I have never carried it any significant distance and I really think it would SUCK for more that a couple miles. Like drag it instead of carry it. Any good sources? Seems like the ALICE packs are drying up. I bought a surplus one from a shop on HWY 72 in Alabama but got it home and the frame is treaked and the straps are to support a belt, not made for a pack at all.

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA

I don't have a "go bag", but this topic has gotten me thinking about it. Biggest problem is I have two small boys (9 months and 3 years). It is amazing the amount of stuff that goes with us normally. Yeah, 95% of this stuff wouldn't need to go in an emergency. But some infant related stuff is required.

Anyone have very small kids and a go bag, and if so, any suggestions about handling necessities for the little ones?

I don't have little ones but I know several people that do. The have 2 bags. One basic and most of the second is for the kids. Second bag has the necessities that the children must have plus some additional items to make the situation more comfortable. Games, coloring books, etc.

I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old. The bug out bag issue, at least for me, comes down to the length of time our journey will last. My wife and I both have smaller packs in our cars. For the kids, we also have a very lightweight double stroller. So, if something happens and we need to get home, the packs have several food items (M&Ms, goldfish, etc.) in a large ziplock bag. We also have ponchos for the kids and a bottle with water filter. That should get us home.

From home, we both have larger packs. I have a plan for leaving the house within 20 minutes and a plan for leaving within 45 minutes or longer. Both plans involve packing the vehicles, or bicycles (with bike trailers) if we can't use the vehicles. If we have to go on foot, the cargo trailer for the bike can be pulled by hand.

If we really had to leave the house quickly, the diaper bag is already packed for about a day for the 2 year old and the food in my larger packs will last 3 to 5 days for all four of us. Other than shelter (we have tube tents), water (bottle with filter), food, a few items of clothing (socks, underwear, rain gear), and (of course) firearms, we would have to leave everything else if the bug out had to happen in less than 10 minutes.

For my part, pack the absolute necessities for the kids in larger packs for you and spouse. If you have time, you should have a list of things by priority to add to your vehicle (or whatever else you will carry).