Coyote problem

I see there's a thread on predators, but since I have a very specific question, I'll start a new thread.

Last night at dusk, a coyote came out of the woods beside our house. My wife had been grinding turkey for the dogs and throwing the fat over the side of our 2nd story deck. At midnight, the rest of the fat was gone, so I'm sure it came back between 8:30 and midnight.

First, I can shoot this coyote right now, right? I live in the country outside city limits. I have a cat and all the neighbors have a cat... so far. I'd like to keep it that way.

I'm not a hunter, so I need some advice here. I believe it will come back tonight after dark.  We tossed out a bit more turkey fat today. The tree line is only 100 feet away, so it will be a close shot. I doubt if I will get a stationary shot, but since I'm elevated the movement won't be too extreme. I'm likely to get only one shot.

Here are my best gun choices in descending order, I think.... 20 gauge w/#3 buckshot, 410 with PDX1 defender ammo, 223 AR-style rifle, 9mm carbine.

I have a motion sensor light that I can set up. I also have a red filter flashlight, but it won't light up much of the yard. I could also just leave the deck floodlight on. I have no idea if a light suddenly coming on would scare it off. Probably yes, right?  

I plan to set up a "blind" on the upper deck, toss out some more fat at dusk, and wait for it to show up. 

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm not adverse to the idea of getting a 12 gauge... I even looked at one today at Academy Sports... but the guy there assured me that 20 gauge #3 shot would be enough to take it down. It does say "Deer and predators" on the box.

Edited by jgradyc

From what I'm reading, hunting either at night or over bait is a no-no.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/huntweapons.html

It is illegal to use rifles & handguns using centerfire ammunition from 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise.

No person shall make use of bait to take wildlife unless the bait has been removed and any electronic feeder disabled at least 10 days prior to hunting.

All big game and small game species (except bullfrogs, raccoons, opossums, migratory birds, and the chasing of foxes and rabbits) daylight hours only (30 minutes before official sunrise and until 30 minutes after official sunset) except turkey open only until official sunset.

Under 100 feet I'd go with the 20 gauge, it will be plenty effective, I'd say more effective than the .223 especially if it's a moving shot as you will have  bigger margin of error.  I can almost promise you that if you sit and wait he will never show.  but, have you patterned the shotgun?  Everyone sights in their rifles but hardly anyone puts their shotgun on paper to see where it hits at 10,20,30, or 40 yards and it's almost never the point of aim.

Since you are not a hunter let me make a suggestion.  Once you get set up and you are waiting go ahead and draw your gun as if the coyote has presented itself.  I can't tell you how many times I have been out in the woods and found that something was in the way when I got ready to draw.  I would also just keep the gun pointed in the general direction that you expect the coyote to come from as you will want to make as little movement as possible once you spot it.  I had a coyote spook on me at about 40 yards once when I clicked my safety off and it wasn't even a particularly loud safety.  Not sure on the legalities of baiting coyote but if it were to stop to eat something that would give you a good still shot.

You'll likely have to trap it if it is only coming around at night.
Just know that once it is trapped, you will have to kill it.
Even if it's not wounded, you'll have to kill it. You can not release it.
I'm only telling you this since you say that you are not a hunter.
For some people this can be a hard thing to do. Is a lot different than just
shooting it under "free range".

I'm by no means trying to tell you "Not to shoot it"
Just get your mind set and do what has to be done.
In your case, It seems it has to done.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/hunting-equipment-methods

Every game animal, wounded or unwounded by hunting and/or trapping and taken into possession by the hunter or trapper shall be immediately slain and become part of the daily bag limit. No person shall, at any time, or by any means, possess or transport live animals taken under the authority of hunting season proclamations.

- See more at: https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/hunting-equipment-methods#sthash.vQcfxOcN.dpuf Edited by TnShooter83

As a retired Wildlife Officer, I am excusing myself from this thread as there is some bad advice here. Good Day.

Dave

Please, if my advice above is not good. I honestly want to know.
I think your opinion would be the best of anyones.
Sometimes people are intimadated or afraid to ask a wildlife officer.

I guess, the best advice wold be to call TWRA and find out what
your legal options are?
  • Like 1

I'd call my local game warden and express my concerns.  I'd bet he will give you permission to shoot it on site.  A simple and polite phone call could mean the difference of getting it taken care of legally versus facing legal repercussions.

I'm not going to give any advice or opinion.
But you can read the response from the TN Attorney General.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://attorneygeneral.tn.gov/op/2010/op/op10-102.pdf&ved=0CB8QFjAAahUKEwjYlIKP2MXHAhUFHx4KHQl8Dck&usg=AFQjCNGrQVPaM_ErwLP_A3vqBCqU4HkQfw&sig2=cu5P7mkvmo8rEQV1UDYZVg

Again, it would be best to contact TWRA
http://www.state.tn.us/twra/contact.html Edited by TnShooter83
  • Like 1

Can anyone here answer this? I really want to know what the current regs are.

From the 15'-16' hunting guide: 

"Hunting near private dwellings: It is unlawful to
hunt, shoot at, chase or kill with or without dogs
any wild animal, wild birds or waterfowl on public
lands and waters within 100 yards of a visible
dwelling house, without the owner’s permission,
whether or not such a dwelling is on public or
private lands. "

Edit: TNShooter posted as I was editing; Yes, according to TWRA, the distance in the regs is for dwellings while on public land.  I have a house that may or may not be within 100 yards depending on where I hunt and have asked.  Of course I do not shoot in that direction, but if on my far corner I am within 50 yards of the house.  I do have communication with the land owner and have permission to retrieve any deer that may cross over after the shot and they know where I setup my stands.

Edited by Omega

From the 15'-16' hunting guide: 

"Hunting near private dwellings: It is unlawful to
hunt, shoot at, chase or kill with or without dogs
any wild animal, wild birds or waterfowl on public
lands and waters within 100 yards of a visible
dwelling house, without the owner’s permission,
whether or not such a dwelling is on public or
private lands. "

Edit: TNShooter posted as I was editing; Yes, according to TWRA, the distance in the regs is for dwellings while on public land.  I have a house that may or may not be within 100 yards depending on where I hunt and have asked.  Of course I do not shoot in that direction, but if on my far corner I am within 50 yards of the house.  I do have communication with the land owner and have permission to retrieve any deer that may cross over after the shot and they know where I setup my stands.

I interpret the above as "within 100 yds or without the owner's permission"  Given that the OP is the owner, I'd guess it's ok.  :)

A friend's Dad used to deer hunt from the kitchen table (during deer season).  They had a big field behind their house that always had deer in it.  When his wife would go to the grocery store on saturday mornings, he'd open the back door, set his rifle up on a bipod on the table, and if a deer wandered across while he was eating breakfast... BOOOM!   :)

My friend said he'd put the rifle away before she got back, but she could always smell the powder when she got home and would read him the riot act.  He'd just smile and say "yes dear". 

Ok fellows, sometimes you see and read things that cause you to just step back, take a deep breath and forget some things that you've seen. Let me share some things here.

If you live outside the city limits and can safely do so, you may shoot coyotes off your deck with the following restrictions:

1) Shotgun: Loaded with 1 single ball (slug) or #4 shot or smaller (5,6,7,8). "T" shot or smaller (BB). The use of "buckshot" of any size (0,00,000,1,2,3,4) is strictly prohibited.

2) Centerfire: All calibers are legal. Soft nose, Hollow point and SST (polymer tips) are permitted. Full jacket ammo is strictly prohibited.

3) Muzzleloaders (see shotgun above)

4) Archery equipment.

5) The use of any artificial light to locate or aid in the taking of game is prohibited. Night scopes may not be used.

The placing of any food item or bait is strictly prohibited unless removed at least 10 days prior to hunting. IE: If throwing turkey parts in your yard to draw a coyote out of the woods for the purpose of shooting it, that is baiting and prohibited.

Legal hunting hours for coyotes is 1/2 hour before "legal" sunrise, to 1/2 hour after "legal" sunset. Shooting or attempting to shoot coyotes at night under lights is verboten!

A lot of regs boils down to what the officer thinks or believes what your intentions were/are. For example; if your throw out animal parts at night to attract a coyote under lights to shoot it....you may have a problem. If however, that coyote attacks or attempts to attack your pets or live stock, you may shoot to kill with whatever weapon ammo you have handy and day or night. Again, what was your "intent"? You have letter of the law and "intent".

It's published in many resources that the best cure for Coyote, Coon, possum and skunk problems is to keep pet foods inside away from wildlife. I've yet to hear of a coyote coming up on peoples porches to eat dog food. They are way too shy for that.

If you are hunting or shooting the coyote on "your" property, a license is not required. However, all other requirements must be met. If hunting, a Hunters Safety Certificate may be required. If defending your pets or stock no certificate is required.

Pick up a copy of the Tennessee Hunting guide or visit http://tnwildlife.org.

Be safe and happy hunting.

Dave

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 3

I'd call my local game warden and express my concerns.  I'd bet he will give you permission to shoot it on site.  A simple and polite phone call could mean the difference of getting it taken care of legally versus facing legal repercussions.

Most that I know would not advise anyone to "shoot it on sight". That's a liability most are not willing to take. However, some would, even myself. No officer can control the circumstances of your actions and won't do it. That stuff is iffy!

Dave

In closing, if you are concerned about the coyotes, get ahold of a few members here (Shaun Mathews for example) to hunt the yotes. He, as some other members are very good at calling in and hunting coyotes. Let them guys come out, call the dog in for you and let you enjoy a challenging hunt. Just my :2cents: !!!

Dave