Bye Bye Bersa

none

Sorry to hear about the Bersa. I've been a big fan of them since I bought their .380 about 10+ years ago. I know i'll likely get berated for this, but my current mouse gun is the Taurus TCP, and it's great. Never had a misfire, and it's a great size when you absolutely have to stay concealed. That being said, you might consider the Ruger LC9. Almost as small, and you get a boost in ammo size.

Berated? Never; I've met more than one gun shop owner who would gladly show you their pocket carry gun and it was a KELTEC 32 caliber.... Whatever works for you is what works best! 

Edited by teecro
  • Like 1

Well, I would not want to be bias but I think my name tells what I think of Bersa's. With that said I have not seen anyone mention the S&W 380 Bodyguard. I have one and love it and have never had a single issue with it. I do have the laser on mine and love that also............just my :2cents:

Well, I would not want to be bias but I think my name tells what I think of Bersa's. With that said I have not seen anyone mention the S&W 380 Bodyguard. I have one and love it and have never had a single issue with it. I do have the laser on mine and love that also............just my :2cents:

I tried out my buddies and the trigger was so heavy it was unmanageable for me at least, probably compounded by the fact I could barely hold onto it. I bet that trigger had to be 12 lbs or more

How is the 238 at the range? Seems like the weight would manage the recoil? What I really need is something that can be shot frequently and not make me regret it when it comes to practice time.

It is a dream at the range.  It might be a tough sell to someone who's hands look like a bunch of bananas but if you can hold it comfortably, it feels great, very low felt recoil.  

And the 938 is only marginally bigger.  Might not quite do ankle carry, but I dunno... its fractions of an inch larger for the exact same thing in 9mm.  The 9, however, has a moderate recoil and is not fun for box after box.  50 rounds in that 9 and I am about done for the day.  The 380 I could shoot 500 without any pain.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

Lots of people had great luck with them that's initially why I purchased it. For me I just could not get past the fact if failed first time out of the box. Maybe I made the wrong call moving on but when you need it failure is not an option nor is having it in the back of your mind that you had issues with it in the past.

Again I should say that Bersa stood behind it and it was the warranty shop that took forever and a day.
so I am not bashing Bersa.

How is the Bodyguard for recoil? Follow up shots?

Thanks

Lots of people had great luck with them that's initially why I purchased it. For me I just could not get past the fact if failed first time out of the box. Maybe I made the wrong call moving on but when you need it failure is not an option nor is having it in the back of your mind that you had issues with it in the past.

Again I should say that Bersa stood behind it and it was the warranty shop that took forever and a day.
so I am not bashing Bersa.

How is the Bodyguard for recoil? Follow up shots?

Thanks

anyone can make a lemon.  My 238 was broken out of the box.  I got it fixed.  I shot it hundreds of times.  It stayed fixed.  I trusted it after testing it thoroughly.  Your choices are your own... we sold a S&W at a loss after a repair when it cracked (revolver) ... didn't trust it.  When you get that "cant trust it" vibe, you sell it and move on, it happens.

• Like 1

Ive owned a Keltec P-380, a Bersa .380, a Taurus .380, at present Ive got 2 .380s, a Sig P-232 and a S&W Bodyguard w/laser.  Although I actually like the Sig better overall as a gun, I carry the Bodyguard more due to its pocketabibility.  I prefer a bigger round, but as a compromise, there are many times I caryy the S&W as primary and always as a backup.  Dont like shooting it, but in the pocket, its damn near invisible.

Based on the last question about felt recoil, I would recommend renting the bodyguard and shoot about 50 rounds through it to see if you can handle it. I for one don't like the gun. 50 rounds and my trigger finger was raw. I do have fairly long fingers that may account for my problem. Also I found the trigger was very long and heavy. Hope this helps.

Based on the last question about felt recoil, I would recommend renting the bodyguard and shoot about 50 rounds through it to see if you can handle it. I for one don't like the gun. 50 rounds and my trigger finger was raw. I do have fairly long fingers that may account for my problem. Also I found the trigger was very long and heavy. Hope this helps.

I handled a Sig too small. Seems like most are saying its a good carry gun carried often shot very little which wont fit the need for me. Thinking I may need to make the switch to 9mm. I am considering a New Agent or Defender. Realistically they are not that much bulkier than the Bersa 380 cc model and the sights would be an improvement.

I handled a Sig too small. Seems like most are saying its a good carry gun carried often shot very little which wont fit the need for me. Thinking I may need to make the switch to 9mm. I am considering a New Agent or Defender. Realistically they are not that much bulkier than the Bersa 380 cc model and the sights would be an improvement.

Before you write off the Sigs, I'd suggest trying the Sig 938 (9mm) with their OEM rubber grip. It is a bit larger but very pocketable. In my experience, the rubber grip has not hindered retrieval from a Galco leather pocket holster. In my opinion, the recoil is very manageable, and, of course, the 238 version is a pussy cat.

Good luck in your search.
  • Like 1