Thinking of buying pocket 380/9mm

espacef1fan

Just bought my second Shield... wife wanted one and I wasn't giving her mine! She also has a Smith 638 (that's the j frame with the enshrouded trigger) coming that she doesn't know about. Love the Shield, and I'm just a Smith fan in general. Yes. I'm biased. :-)

Just bought my second Shield... wife wanted one and I wasn't giving her mine! She also has a Smith 638 (that's the j frame with the enshrouded trigger) coming that she doesn't know about. Love the Shield, and I'm just a Smith fan in general. Yes. I'm biased. :-)

Santa bought me a shield too, but I don't get to touch it till Christmas.  Looking forward to shooting/carrying it.  Santa went with 9mm...so I hear.

• 2 months later...

Im still in the hunt for one of these guns.

No PPKs to be found at a realistic price.

I can get MIL/LEO discount and I cant find any 238s or 938s used at a price that beats the discount.

Id consider The Colts or Kimbers but cant find those at a price that beats the SIG prices

The Bersa is out due to the magazine disconnect.

The revolvers ARE an idea, BUT I need to go shoot some to be sure they are my thing. They also function quite differently than my carry gun and my work gun.

My work gun is a Beretta 92 and my preferred carry is a 1911.

Im still in the hunt for one of these guns.

No PPKs to be found at a realistic price.

I can get MIL/LEO discount and I cant find any 238s or 938s used at a price that beats the discount.

Id consider The Colts or Kimbers but cant find those at a price that beats the SIG prices

The Bersa is out due to the magazine disconnect.

The revolvers ARE an idea, BUT I need to go shoot some to be sure they are my thing. They also function quite differently than my carry gun and my work gun.

My work gun is a Beretta 92 and my preferred carry is a 1911.

If you like the 1911 style,  and you like the sig micros,  I would just advise you to save up a little longer and get one.   A great price on a gun you don't like is not helpful unless money is your #1 concern, and even then, saving just a little longer might still be the better choice.   Small revolvers tend to have brutal trigger pulls.  Bersa is a lot like a Makarov which does not have a mag disconnect if I remember it right,  its bigger than the 938 while shooting a 380ish round.

There should be a few used 238s out there fairly cheap,  and by now, maybe a few 9s too.   The price on both has fallen too, now that the "new release" has worn off.  

Just can't fathom the rationale of a cocked and locked type pocket gun myself.

Not a matter of safety, just deployment. Hell, even most pocket revolvers have bobbed hammer or no hammer at all, and that's to negate even the uncocked encumbrance of something extra sticking out from the body of the gun to slow down getting the thing out smoothly.

- OS

• Like 1

Just can't fathom the rationale of a cocked and locked type pocket gun myself.

Not a matter of safety, just deployment. Hell, even most pocket revolvers have bobbed hammer or no hammer at all, and that's to negate even the uncocked encumbrance of something extra sticking out from the body of the gun to slow down getting the thing out smoothly.

- OS

the little sigs also have a bobbed hammer,  and its pretty much shielded entirely from snags by the small beavertail.   It would only snag if you tried to draw the gun from a pocket sideways or at a steep angle.  Coming more or less just out, it won't -- theres nothing to catch on.    

The rationale for me is simple enough.   My hands are weak, and I simply can't fire most of the small guns in a defensive manner.   Some I can't fire at all.  Others I can manage but its 3 times slower per shot.   I can empty, reload, and empty again my sig 938 before I could empty a LCP or LCR once.

the little sigs also have a bobbed hammer,  and its pretty much shielded entirely from snags by the small beavertail.   It would only snag if you tried to draw the gun from a pocket sideways or at a steep angle.  Coming more or less just out, it won't -- theres nothing to catch on.    

The rationale for me is simple enough.   My hands are weak, and I simply can't fire most of the small guns in a defensive manner.   Some I can't fire at all.  Others I can manage but its 3 times slower per shot.   I can empty, reload, and empty again my sig 938 before I could empty a LCP or LCR once.

Certainly not trying to talk anyone out of what they like.

For me, just can't imagine any improvement over my Kahr PM9. About as small as any 9mm made with its capacity, all smooth contours, no safeties,  simply pull it out and pull the trigger. Even a J frame feels like a thick slab to me by comparison, plus I get 2 extra rounds and quick reload. And it's not a .380 either. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 4

I can't imagine pocket carrying a pistol over 18oz.  I have a Springfield XDs .45 ACP now and it's on the belt in a holster.  I actually happen to like the little holster that Springfield makes for it.  

Edited by Moped

I can't imagine pocket carrying a pistol over 18oz. I have a Springfield XDs .45 ACP now and it's on the belt in a holster. I actually happen to like the little holster that Springfield makes for it.

I have a pt111 g2 that is close in size to the xds. I want one more step down for deeper concealment