Home distillers

Spots

Are there any home distillers here? I've been giving some thought to setting up a small 10 gallon setup, after securing the appropriate and free Federal Fuel Alchol permit of course. I would like to do a 10 gallon copper setup using a traditional pot still with a thump keg. I have found the still I like, now I'd just like to talk to someone who has distilled to find out about heat sources (propane, and wood if shtf) and other information.

This is the still I'm looking at

http://www.hillbillystills.com/product/traditional-moonshine-still-sizes/

Disclaimer
I have no intentions of performing illegal activities by distilling drinkable alchol.

Sent from the backwoods

Guys... one of the members shared this with me. From what I am reading here, the ATF says that there are *zero* provisions for legal home distillation of alcohol.

image.jpg1_zpszw6nibkp.jpg

Yep, that's why I made sure to mention that I would be obtaining a fuel permit before distilling anything other than water or essential oils, and why even after getting the permit I would never drink the lawn mower fuel.

Sent from behind the anvil

Good follow on post TGO David. I knew about that restriction and honestly took it for granted everyone else here did too. It's the primary reason I'm playing around with home beer brewing and gearing up to do some wine making. Both of those are reasonable cost effective hobbies and worth knowing how to do. Contrary to a lot of reports and running into an occasional personality all of my experences with ATF personnel have been really good. So with that if I ever do try distilling sprits it'll be in full compliance with legal specifications. I do however, intend to learn more about distilling sprits and will probably be visiting a local start up distillery as well as another just across the state line. One of them does a full "how to" seminar that takes about a day and has a required fee. One of the things Spot's and some others have already mentioned is a still can also be used to produce distilled water, that's a pretty good foundational primer right there and perfectly legal.

Good follow on post TGO David. I knew about that restriction and honestly took it for granted everyone else here did too. It's the primary reason I'm playing around with home beer brewing and gearing up to do some wine making. Both of those are reasonable cost effective hobbies and worth knowing how to do. Contrary to a lot of reports and running into an occasional personality all of my experences with ATF personnel have been really good. So with that if I ever do try distilling sprits it'll be in full compliance with legal specifications. I do however, intend to learn more about distilling sprits and will probably be visiting a local start up distillery as well as another just across the state line. One of them does a full "how to" seminar that takes about a day and has a required fee. One of the things Spot's and some others have already mentioned is a still can also be used to produce distilled water, that's a pretty good foundational primer right there and perfectly legal.

I started on wine making before I moved to beer.  It takes more time, but it's actually a lot easier.  I have some recipes for cheapo wine that turns out really, really well.  Just takes about 5-6 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my first piece in today. I decided to spread the purchases out over a few paychecks. Gonna do the parrot and mash tun next check, then the still, and finally the hot plate. This is the column thermometer from Clawhammer Supply.

20160119_164357_zpsxtsxqlor.jpg

I started on wine making before I moved to beer.  It takes more time, but it's actually a lot easier.  I have some recipes for cheapo wine that turns out really, really well.  Just takes about 5-6 weeks.

Takes a bit more for it to age though. If you want to talk recipes pm me

Takes a bit more for it to age though. If you want to talk recipes pm me

Meh, my cheapo wine is drinkable at bottling. It does taste better after 6 months, but it's just fine 6 hours after bottling. With the cheap stuff, aging will only go so far to make an improvement in taste that can be noticed. I make this stuff out of Welch's frozen concentrate.

Meh, my cheapo wine is drinkable at bottling. It does taste better after 6 months, but it's just fine 6 hours after bottling. With the cheap stuff, aging will only go so far to make an improvement in taste that can be noticed. I make this stuff out of Welch's frozen concentrate.

I make some great stuff out of welches. Nothing wrong with that. However, I know some place to get almost any juice you want to try.

I make some great stuff out of welches. Nothing wrong with that. However, I know some place to get almost any juice you want to try.

Right now I'm ordering my juice from Amazon. They have these Frontera kits which are eligible for Amazon Prime, so I get free shipping. Only $45 for a 6 gallon kit, which is the cheapest I've found shipped. This past year I've made their Pinot Noir, Pinot Grigio, and Cabernet Sauvignon. I was amazed at the quality at bottling, so time should improve it. I've made a couple of Winexpert kits and these all turned out better. I'm going to stack these deep this year in case the prices go up or it comes off of Prime.

Right now I'm ordering my juice from Amazon. They have these Frontera kits which are eligible for Amazon Prime, so I get free shipping. Only $45 for a 6 gallon kit, which is the cheapest I've found shipped. This past year I've made their Pinot Noir, Pinot Grigio, and Cabernet Sauvignon. I was amazed at the quality at bottling, so time should improve it. I've made a couple of Winexpert kits and these all turned out better. I'm going to stack these deep this year in case the prices go up or it comes off of Prime.

Sent you a pm

I've been receiving a bunch of e-mail flyers lately on Mead kits... then I found plans in e-how for a vodka still...it'd be easy to lose every bit of free time just tinkering

Yeah I'm learning that this is a deep rabbit hole to jump in to.

Would be more than happy to... bring my lawnmower over, and offer it's opinion of your fuel once ready. :D

I still have fond memories of a dear family friend in Germany INSISTING I have a hit of Apfelwein he made before turning in. Nightly.

Man, that stuff was triple distilled, could clean the varnish off your carburetor! I'd bitch about a sore stomach, he swore it'd help. Headache? Old Jupp's got the cure, come with me into the basement.... LOL!

- K

Edited by ReeferMac
  • Like 1