M&P 45C advice wanted

Rhodewarrior

My advice? Yea... get one, haha!

But seriously, though I'm a huge M&P fan, I admith the trigger feel is all over the place... every gun is different. From what I understand they have become a little more consistent/better recently. However, my oldest M&P is about 4 yrs old, and my newest is about 2 yrs old. All of mine happen to have pretty crisp, clean triggers. Oddly enough, my Pro has a little grit on takeup, but the cleanest break and best reset of the bunch.

None of mine have external safeties.

Happy Shootin'!

I'd recommend you get one and shoot it a few times before deciding if you really need the Apex trigger.  My M&P 45 didn't need the Apex trigger, unlike my M&P 9mm.  The 45 had a pretty darn good one right out of the box.

Yeah. The 9c and 45c M&P's I borrowed and ran some rounds through both had suprisingly good triggers. Enough so I wouldn;t have considered changing anything on them if they'd been my own guns.

I’ve had several M&P’s and have two now; I’ve never needed to upgrade a trigger. The safety is just a personal call. I wouldn’t use it, so I wouldn’t want it. But I want a magazine disconnect on every gun I can get it on.

Magazine disconnect?  Is that what is needed for the gun to fire with the mag removed?  Is that an add-on?

Backwards. If the gun is equipped with a magazine disconnect safety, the gun will not fire WITHOUT a magazine in it. Optional on most M&Ps, and removable, I believe. I have one gun with it, and 3 without. I prefer without. Sometimes I want to pop off a single round. With a mag disconnect you have to throw an empty mag in. (Ever see that one last hot round as you're about to leave the range?) Some may argue it makes dry fire practice easier if you are working on trigger control, or "breaking in" a trigger by dry firing while watching TV, etc, if you don't have to fool with a mag as well.

I personally haven't broken a trigger that way, but have heard of folks doing that, and I will say my full size M&P, which is my oldest and has been shot the most, has an excellent trigger now, much better than when it was new, but not that it was bad to start with. All of my M&Ps are stock, but my full size is the one, that when someone who is familiar with M&Ps shoots it, they always ask "what did you do to this trigger? It's great!" Edited by musicman

I’ve had several M&P’s and have two now; I’ve never needed to upgrade a trigger. The safety is just a personal call. I wouldn’t use it, so I wouldn’t want it. But I want a magazine disconnect on every gun I can get it on.

I'm not asking to disagree or anything, but I'm curious as to your desire for lack of an external safety but WANTING a mag disconnect. Would you mind sharing your feelings/reasoning on that issue? Usually I hear folks want both a safety and disconnect, or neither. Personally I don't want either. I want to be in control of the weapon and it go boom when I pull the trigger. For purposes of dropping the mag to take the gun out of the fight in a close physical tussle... well... let's just say if it gets that bad I'm most likely going to be dead anyway, regardless of whether they will take and shoot me with my own gun. I'm interested to hear your ideas. Thanks!

I'm not asking to disagree or anything, but I'm curious as to your desire for lack of an external safety but WANTING a mag disconnect. Would you mind sharing your feelings/reasoning on that issue? Usually I hear folks want both a safety and disconnect, or neither. Personally I don't want either. I want to be in control of the weapon and it go boom when I pull the trigger. For purposes of dropping the mag to take the gun out of the fight in a close physical tussle... well... let's just say if it gets that bad I'm most likely going to be dead anyway, regardless of whether they will take and shoot me with my own gun. I'm interested to hear your ideas. Thanks!

Personal reasons. I have been in a fight for control of my weapon. Mine was a revolver and had nothing to do with a magazine disconnect, but I had to hold the hammer down on my weapon to keep the guy from pulling the trigger. I could have gone hands on with the guy, but I couldn’t let go of the gun. Luckily my backup was close and I dealt with it until he arrived.

Around the same time a Trooper friend of mine was telling me about another trooper that got in a fight on the interstate, the perp got his gun, but as they were fighting for control the Trooper hit the mag release. The guy knocked the trooper to the ground and was standing over him trying to shoot him but the gun would not fire. As his backup approached from the other direction and saw what was going on, he knew he had little time to act, he fired out the window of his moving squad and dropped the perp dead. The Trooper’s life was saved by a magazine disconnect and incredible luck on an almost impossible shot.

Now, my chances of having a hands on encounter as a private citizen are slim. But so are needing a gun and I carry one. You can run through scenarios in your head of what you think you would do, but I have experienced it and seen other Officers experience it; one incident (family fight) ended with two Officers wounded and the perp dead.

So to me a magazine disconnect is not a “safety” it is a “feature”. My personal experience makes me want one on any handgun that offers it. I have never had an experience or know anyone that has where a disconnect caused a problem. I have never had the need to pop off a single round that wasn’t loaded from a magazine and I would never continually dry fire a weapon; so that’s not an issue with me.

As far as the safety, I wouldn’t want it because I wouldn’t use it. My Shield has one but I don’t use it. I’m not going to remove it as I doubt it would ever be an issue; I just check it every time I put the gun on.

Whether you like a particular “feature” or “Safety” or don’t is irrelevant with the M&P line; they let you have it “your way” instead of telling you what you do and do not need.
  • Like 1

Can't speak to the 45C, though I have two M&P 9's and really like them.

I'm left handed.  The M&P has been great for me as a left hander.  It's easy to reverse the magazine release.

Now, if they would just remove that dumb safety warning from the frame which makes me aware that it doesn't have a magazine release safety.... :)

Personal reasons. I have been in a fight for control of my weapon. Mine was a revolver and had nothing to do with a magazine disconnect, but I had to hold the hammer down on my weapon to keep the guy from pulling the trigger. I could have gone hands on with the guy, but I couldn’t let go of the gun. Luckily my backup was close and I dealt with it until he arrived.

Around the same time a Trooper friend of mine was telling me about another trooper that got in a fight on the interstate, the perp got his gun, but as they were fighting for control the Trooper hit the mag release. The guy knocked the trooper to the ground and was standing over him trying to shoot him but the gun would not fire. As his backup approached from the other direction and saw what was going on, he knew he had little time to act, he fired out the window of his moving squad and dropped the perp dead. The Trooper’s life was saved by a magazine disconnect and incredible luck on an almost impossible shot.

Now, my chances of having a hands on encounter as a private citizen are slim. But so are needing a gun and I carry one. You can run through scenarios in your head of what you think you would do, but I have experienced it and seen other Officers experience it; one incident (family fight) ended with two Officers wounded and the perp dead.

So to me a magazine disconnect is not a “safety” it is a “feature”. My personal experience makes me want one on any handgun that offers it. I have never had an experience or know anyone that has where a disconnect caused a problem. I have never had the need to pop off a single round that wasn’t loaded from a magazine and I would never continually dry fire a weapon; so that’s not an issue with me.

As far as the safety, I wouldn’t want it because I wouldn’t use it. My Shield has one but I don’t use it. I’m not going to remove it as I doubt it would ever be an issue; I just check it every time I put the gun on.

Whether you like a particular “feature” or “Safety” or don’t is irrelevant with the M&P line; they let you have it “your way” instead of telling you what you do and do not need.

Yep. BTDT with an LA gangbanger who thought he knew more about disarming police officers then some officer in Tennessee. I was wearing a Bianchi Hurricane Level II holster at the time and also carrying a revolver. I had to do weapons retention and fight with one hand while he used two hands at the holster and grip. So no, I won't remove a magazine disconnect or any other integral safety device. I'm also very leery of a lot of the trigger kits and such which proliferate the polymer pistol field now from a litigious standpoint.

Yep. BTDT with an LA gangbanger who thought he knew more about disarming police officers then some officer in Tennessee. I was wearing a Bianchi Hurricane Level II holster at the time and also carrying a revolver. I had to do weapons retention and fight with one hand while he used two hands at the holster and grip. So no, I won't remove a magazine disconnect or any other integral safety device. I'm also very leery of a lot of the trigger kits and such which proliferate the polymer pistol field now from a litigious standpoint.

TNWNGR makes a great point on the issue of changing the trigger.  I won't make any changes to a gun I use for defense.  It has become an issue from a litigation point of view.

TNWNGR makes a great point on the issue of changing the trigger. I won't make any changes to a gun I use for defense. It has become an issue from a litigation point of view.

Has it? I'm not being critical....I was a Mas Ayoob fan for years. Honestly though, I got to the point that I never found evidence of a modified firearm causing legal issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has it? I'm not being critical....I was a Mas Ayoob fan for years. Honestly though, I got to the point that I never found evidence of a modified firearm causing legal issues...

I encourage you to do so as you see fit but I've testified on the witness stand and was even once deemed an expert witness. One of the benefits of that experience was to never provide an instrument of challenge to a prosecuting or defense attorney or legal support team. Respectfully if you haven't been involved in a use of physical force or lethal force investigation or trial your perceptions are limited. I respect Mas Ayoob in many respects but am annoyed by him in others. 

I encourage you to do so as you see fit but I've testified on the witness stand and was even once deemed an expert witness. One of the benefits of that experience was to never provide an instrument of challenge to a prosecuting or defense attorney or legal support team. Respectfully if you haven't been involved in a use of physical force or lethal force investigation or trial your perceptions are limited. I respect Mas Ayoob in many respects but am annoyed by him in others.

I have been involved in a self defense shooting with a "modjfied" handgun....

So, was your courtroom experience directly involving modified weapons as used in an otherwise legal self defense shooting?

I have been involved in a self defense shooting with a "modjfied" handgun....

So, was your courtroom experience directly involving modified weapons as used in an otherwise legal self defense shooting?

Aggravated Assault case where some basic untruthfulness by the defendant faired poorly and the weapon had been modified. Other experience in supervised officers involved in LF shootings. IOW I've investigated, testified, witnessed and been subject of investigation.