Grandfather's WW2 Photo album

bteague2

Before I start, I don't have any pictures to post... yet.

While I was home this weekend helping my dad move furniture, we found my grandfather's old WW2 photo album. I've been told that he was his battalion's photographer, I have the unit info at home; he was a quartermaster with the US Army in the Pacific Theater. I knew we had it but I'd never seen it. My mom wouldn't let my dad show me as there are naked people, dead bodies, and "cannibals" in it.

In addition to all of the photos (his and some of the enemies), there are a ton of newspaper clippings from "Yank", letters he received and a couple that he wrote.

Here is my dilemma, time is ruining this piece of American/family history. The book is falling apart, pages are sticking together because of the tape holding the photos down, the newspaper article's paper is wearing out and ripping, and the photos are fading.

I know some of you are photo enthusiasts, how should I go about saving this before it is too late? And how should it be stored to prevent any further loss before it can be restore? I'll be home again Wednesday so at the very least I should have some pictures soon to share with you guys.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm... This has got me thinking I need to go dig up some of my grandfather's old photos. He was a D-Day vet, and I know he has several photos from his service days. If we all get off our butts and start getting these things digitized, we could have a really awesome thread on our hands.

One thing you might do to have items to show, is take pictures of each page with your digital camera, so that if the originals can't be preserved, you still have a digital copy that you could print out on photo paper so that such history is not lost.

One thing you might do to have items to show, is take pictures of each page with your digital camera, so that if the originals can't be preserved, you still have a digital copy that you could print out on photo paper so that such history is not lost.

That's a VERY good idea. Set up the highest file size camera you can afford on some sort of overhanging stand, cradle, or mount and bring in as much lighting as you can get on it. If necessary, as long as it's done right, you could work out some of the tape, etc with photoshop.

This is something my mom has been working on. Her Dad and Uncles were all in WWII, and she has all of their photos. She has left some of the originals in the old albums because they were basically glued in it by my Grandpa. If the photos are loose or removable, put them in an acid-free photo album or an archival quality box. Don't use scrapbooks with plastic sleeves of course. Use photo corners to hold the pictures in place, no photo hinges.

Make a scan of the photos only once. The light from a copier or scanner will deteriorate the photos. The ones she has framed in her house are the scanned copies printed on photo paper. Sometimes they look better than the originals. When you put them in the scrap book, make sure you label the pictures for your children.

Sadly, my great uncle that was with the fighting IV had all of his pictures destroyed.

btea; I would love to see some pics once you're through!

Mud;My grandfather served during 2,but never really spoke about it.I guess he didn't think us kids would be interested to here about it :)

Actually that is the only regret I have now is not sitting down and talking with him before he passed.

As far as I know he didn't have any photos,or items that made it through the years other then a case full of metals.

Be sure you guys cherish,and protect what you have.

I can't believe what it must have been like to see that in person. My grandfather was a heck of a man and had some cool stories about the war.

I'm assuming he took those photos himself?

Yeah,that is pretty crazy thinking about someone seeing all that first hand!

PS,Thanks for sharing! Got anymore you would like to show?

Edited by strickj
My grandfather served during 2,but never really spoke about it.I guess he didn't think us kids would be interested to here about it :)

My grandfather was kinda the same way, I had to prod at him to get stories out of him. After a few years of getting some of his stories about being inland, he told me about what he saw on D-Day. He only talked about D-Day once, but I remember every single word.

Kinda makes me think of the boot camp scene in Jarhead:

DI: Are you the maggot who's father served in Vietnam?

Swoff: Sir, YES SIR!

DI: Did he ever talk about it?

Swoff: Sir, just once, SIR!

DI: Well then it was true!

I have a few more. He was in Italy for awhile. The stories he told I had to pry out of him too. He passed a few years ago and I regret not sitting and talking about the past and things he could do that I have to learn on my own now. Really don't realize it til their gone. Used to tell me about the gangs in Italy that were more brutal than the enemy soldiers.

Make a scan of the photos only once. The light from a copier or scanner will deteriorate the photos..

Nah...sunlight much worse, but a few passes with flatbed ain't gonna speed up any fading...

I worked in photog for over 20 years at UT, did lots of archival copying with film and digital..then ran my own biz doing similar for several years...I've handled lots of pretty much priceless objects, both flat copy and 3D items.

I still have copystand setup in my digs here, let me know if you want some help; could put everything onto film for additional backup, and then you could do digital over time or whatever...

PMing you copy of this so you see it...

- OS

I would start at your local public library or UT history dept for help.

UT has shut down it's photography department that used to do most of the work for the other dept's around campus (I was part of it).

Only in-house archive copy still there is McClung Museum, unless they farm that out now, too, dunno. I've been gone from UT since '97.

If you have something that either History or the Museum might be interested in having copies of, you might possibly get some work done there, otherwise probably not.

At the Photography Center, we did (billed) work for the public, at the cheapest cost in the state for quality work, but that resource is long gone.

- OS

• 1 month later...
Guest mark_justmark
Heres a blurry digital camera photo of a photo. Musilini and his mistress.After they cut them down from the gas station they hung and shot them at.

100_0823.jpg

I found these on the internet

muss2.jpg

muss1.jpg

Wow....I know almost nothing about photography preservation other that to call an expert. Glad you posted the pics, it reminded me to go look for my grandfathers old photos. I only remember him telling bits and pieces over the years. He did mention that he was at the Eagle's Nest two days after it was captured. I'll have to see if there are any pics.