Can't figure out deer limit

Hello, this is my first time hunting and I'm trying to make sure I read the regulations correctly and appreciate any help.  

I'm planning to hunt on Catoosa WMA tomorrow morning.   I thought the bag limit regulations were pretty straight forward, but upon double checking to confirm them, I'm confused.

Based on pages 25-26 (of the guide, not the PDF)  of the 2015-2016 guide, it looks like Catoosa spans Units A and B  (counties Cumberland, Morgan, and Fentress).   http://issuu.com/thebinghamgroup/docs/hunt_trap_guide_2015-2016?e=18073349/14694585 

So for Bucks, we still have the max of 1 buck per day, and two total per year.  

Does are more confusing (says to consult table on page 26).  Cumberland and Fentress are not in the table at all, and Morgan doesn't allow any Does until near the end of the season.   

So am I interpreting this correctly that if I hunt at Catoosa, I can only harvest a buck?

Thank you!

P.S. I'm a little south of Nashville so if anyone has tips on WMAs that are closer and won't be over-crowded with hunters, I'd appreciate that too!   Thanks

I'm sorry I don't have time to go look at the book before work but from what you are saying it sounds like a buck is your only option.  I know Catoosa used to have a minimum spread requirement as well.  There is much better hunting to be had IMO, much closer to you as well.  There is some good public land out there.  I've spent the last 20 years figuring out how and where to hunt public land and be successfull, there is good public land out there access is the issue.  But if it was easy it would be full of people.

Sometimes state zones aren't applicable within the WMA. From what I found on Catoosa in the book, page 56, it looks like those are drawn hunts and it defines what may be taken. The only thing I see open this weekend is a ML hunt for the 19-22nd and its 1 bonus buck which means it doesn't count against your state 2 buck limit. 

I'm not worried about the limit, I'm worried about just 1.

Same here, and if the limit is zero (does) or has restrictions (buck size), then the limit is pretty relevant.

I abandoned catoosa and am going to try another site with simpler rules. It's a shame it needs to be so complicated...
Thank you to everyone for your help figuring out the situation at catoosa. Edited by Guest
I think I'll try Bark Camp Barrens on Sunday morning. Normandy is also nearby. Anyone been to either of these WMAs?

Coffee and Bedford counties are both in zone L and don't list special restrictions so it looks like any buck or doe is fair game (no pun intended).

Hello, this is my first time hunting and I'm trying to make sure I read the regulations correctly and appreciate any help.  

I'm planning to hunt on Catoosa WMA tomorrow morning.   I thought the bag limit regulations were pretty straight forward, but upon double checking to confirm them, I'm confused.

Based on pages 25-26 (of the guide, not the PDF)  of the 2015-2016 guide, it looks like Catoosa spans Units A and B  (counties Cumberland, Morgan, and Fentress).   http://issuu.com/thebinghamgroup/docs/hunt_trap_guide_2015-2016?e=18073349/14694585 

So for Bucks, we still have the max of 1 buck per day, and two total per year.  

Does are more confusing (says to consult table on page 26).  Cumberland and Fentress are not in the table at all, and Morgan doesn't allow any Does until near the end of the season.   

So am I interpreting this correctly that if I hunt at Catoosa, I can only harvest a buck?

Thank you!

P.S. I'm a little south of Nashville so if anyone has tips on WMAs that are closer and won't be over-crowded with hunters, I'd appreciate that too!   Thanks

Catoosa WMA sure is a long way away from south of Nashville.  Have you checked into Yanahli WMA in Maury County or Cheatham Wildlife Management Area? 

I think I'll try Bark Camp Barrens on Sunday morning. Normandy is also nearby. Anyone been to either of these WMAs?

Coffee and Bedford counties are both in zone L and don't list special restrictions so it looks like any buck or doe is fair game (no pun intended).

Your better bet would be Bear Hollow WMA. Bark Camp is pretty small. Never Hunted Normandy. There is another one in Wichester, maybe Owl Hollow? It's along Tims Ford lake. There is decent hunting at AEDC, worth trying for the draw next year. I think they have non quota archery hunts too, that's how I used to hunt it. LBL is worth researching too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was at bark camp from about 0600 to 1000 this morning. Didn't see a thing though I did hear quite a number of shots from the area closer to the entrance (were all the other trucks were parked) been 0630 and about 0900.

Not sure if I picked the wrong type of area, or just luck of the draw. Anywho, this is what it's all about (getting out, enjoying creation, and learning). Looking forward to getting out again soon. Maybe at one of the other locales.

You can hunt Cedars of Lebanon State forest as well. Same as statewide rules. Nothing special, same for Franklin State forest.

Been several years since I hunted Cedars of Lebanon but heard they changed it to no centerfire on Tennessee Deer Hunters Facebook page. Haven't looked into it so 2nd hand info is what I'm going on.

Been several years since I hunted Cedars of Lebanon but heard they changed it to no centerfire on Tennessee Deer Hunters Facebook page. Haven't looked into it so 2nd hand info is what I'm going on.

Wonder what the reasoning behind that was?  I do know that the tree huggers have been trying to protect that place from everyone else for as long as I can remember.  It's been 15 years since I've tried to hunt out there but back then the deer were few and far between.

Not true to my knowledge. I will find out 100% tomorrow when I go to the office.
  • Like 1

TWRA hunting regulations PDF on Page 37 lists Cedars of Lebanon as 'other hunting lands" managed by Tennessee Division of Forest y (thats us) and we have made no such regulations.  The hunting regs point to our website which points to no ATVs but says hunting is allowed.  Nothing more nothing less.  Regulations are same as statewide for this forest.  Not all state forests are that way, some are managed by TWRA and a few are not.  They are all listed in the hunting regulations for 2015.  

If you're planning on coming back down this way to hunt Bear Hole, the best advice I can give you is wear GOOD walking boots, bring a big pack & make sure you know how to quarter a deer on the ground.
It's super steep & it's all downhill to get in. Meaning: if you kill something, it's all UPhill to get it back out.
If you want to pm me your number, I can put you on a really productive, although tiny, patch of TVA land in Franklin County.
I've not hunted it yet this year without seeing deer.
It's right next to a road & you'll be able to hear people's tvs, but it's a great spot!

TWRA hunting regulations PDF on Page 37 lists Cedars of Lebanon as 'other hunting lands" managed by Tennessee Division of Forest y (thats us) and we have made no such regulations.  The hunting regs point to our website which points to no ATVs but says hunting is allowed.  Nothing more nothing less.  Regulations are same as statewide for this forest.  Not all state forests are that way, some are managed by TWRA and a few are not.  They are all listed in the hunting regulations for 2015.  

Good deal, thanks for checking on that!