Handgun training drills that you can do by yourself

• Administrator

Here is an Adobe PDF document that contains some good handgun training drills that you can do at the range with only your brains, your handgun, targets, stopwatch and plenty of ammunition.

Tennessee Gun Owners makes no claims to the accuracy of the information provided in this document. We did not produce it, I am just redistributing it here because I think that it has tangible educational value.

Shoot safe!!!

HandgunDrills.pdf

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Useful. Thanks.

Only drawback: Did not allow me to get on one of my rants about how so many so-called "drills" are useless because they do not resemble real life in any way, shape or form. Oh well, I'm sure I can find something else to rant about elsewhere...:stare:

-L

• Administrator

Thankfully the range I go to doesn't mind me practicing shooting from a draw so long as the range isn't crowded. I'd rather do this kind of target shooting any day versus seeing how many times you can put bullets through the same hole at 7, 15, 25 yds and the fear of reprisal should a holster be anywhere on your person at that time.

:)

• Administrator
IMHO, the fewer range rules, the better.

What I need is a place to practice USPSA stages. I'd love to have a place outdoors where I could set up targets and barricades and practice. Maybe one of these days I'll own a couple of acres of land outside the city limits somewhere. :)

I have three acres out in the county, but it's not flat and anywhere I shoot would go into the neighboring land. Now my drunken former neighbor did shoot that way into the field where the horses are. I think he's on the run in Las Vegas these days.

Of course I do have the tree house on top of the ridge overlooking the Interstate that has the nice gun mounts. JUST KIDDING!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Administrator

I had a chance to do some shooting at an unsupervised facility this afternoon. There were full-auto and suppressed weapons in use and people were trading up firearms quite a bit to shoot whatever struck their fancy.

Amazingly... none of us shot each other. No RSO and yet no one assumed room temperature! :taser:

Thankfully we all knew enough about each other to trust each other's abilities and gun handling etiquette. But I think that's the key. If you don't play well with others or don't know how to, then having RSOs on hand is a good idea.

• Administrator

I will say this, Mars. There are some seriously dumb people in this world and a few of them own firearms and don't have any business doing so. For those people, RSOs are a necessity on public ranges.

One guy came into Joe's shop yesterday and proceeded to muzzle rake Joe and everyone else in the room with what ended up being a loaded firearm that he had brought in to trade. Hornet Handler and I immediately went to the other side of the building and put a few walls between us and this bozo.

Gun shop owners should wear kevlar just because of the Stupid People Factor. :taser:

Guest Phantom6

While there is no doubt that some ranges have rules that are to say the least, onerous, IMHO if you don't like the range rules then find another range. Either that or talk to the range owner and see about getting the rules changed or at least modified or partially suspended at certain particular times.

Every range must have some rules but they should be simple and based on the three basic rules of firearms safety:

1. Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction
  2. Keep your finger off the trigger until your target is in your sights and
  3. keep it unloaded until ready to use it

and of course include a few common sense (because it is not as common as some would have you believe) rules pertaining to times of use, no shooting at glass items, no handling of firearms while range is in cold condition, clean up after yourself and personal safety items like eye and ear protection requirements.

I have no problem with the concept of a range using RSO's as I am an NRA certified RSO. After all, not everyone keeps safety on the front burner when they are handling firearms. Folks occasionaly have a brain fart i.e. Lee Paige, the DEA agent that shot himself in the foot in front of a class of third graders while doing a firearms safety talk.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

The problems arise however when either the range owner or his/her insurance company tries to over regulate the activities on their range or the RSO puts his own interpretation of the range rules into play.

sniper.gif

Guest Phantom6
I've heard that pointing a loaded gun at a gun-shop owner is the fastest way to lower the value of your trade-in... if not your life.

I saw a dumb ass actually run out of a gunshop- no questions asked- for waving a gun around in a shop. The offender cursed and swore that he'd never be back. The rest of us gave the clerk an ovation. :D:taser::clap::mad:

• 1 month later...
Guest sbrooks

What about carry pistols (concealed or otherwise) at a shooting range ?

I wouldn't want an RSO telling me I have to unload my pistol if it's my carry weapon.

What about carry pistols (concealed or otherwise) at a shooting range ?

I wouldn't want an RSO telling me I have to unload my pistol if it's my carry weapon.

I routinely carry into/onto the ranges which I frequent, and fire the rounds which are in the gun, to rotate my carry ammo... I reload with fresh cartridges and re-holster before leaving the range. Never had anyone make a sideways comment about it, and never saw a rule about it.

If having a loaded gun holstered was against the rule of any business (range or otherwise) I'd find another place to spend my money, no questions asked. OTOH, I wouldn't shrink from admonishing mis-stated opinions against my practice... if they weren't based on clearly authoritative rules.

I had a chance to do some shooting at an unsupervised facility this afternoon. There were full-auto and suppressed weapons in use and people were trading up firearms quite a bit to shoot whatever struck their fancy.

Amazingly... none of us shot each other. No RSO and yet no one assumed room temperature! :D

Thankfully we all knew enough about each other to trust each other's abilities and gun handling etiquette. But I think that's the key. If you don't play well with others or don't know how to, then having RSOs on hand is a good idea.

Share the location why don't cha!:taunt: