Guitars

Our son has recently picked up the guitar we got him 10 or so years ago, and now, he would like to get a better one. A big issue is that he plays left handed and apparently there is not a big selection of lefty models to choose from in the guitar center in Knoxville. I would think we might find a better selection in Nashville? Maybe people searching for a lefty gun Have a similar issue. Would we have more luck making a road trip to Nashville?

TIA

I would imagine that Nashville would have a better selection, given the impact the city has on the music scene.

I know that Guitar Center normally has a large selection, and the one up here in Louisville has several lefty model Stratocaster, Telecaster and Les Paul models in stock.

The downside to being a lefty (which I am, but I play right handed) is that the selection is limited as it is. I can't think of that many models that actually come in a reverse orientation. Amazon might be a better friend in this aspect, though the hands of on of a brick and mortar is very nice.

A lot of leftys learn to play right handed, and are incredible players. The fingers of their dominant hand doing the fretting gives them great dexterity. Consider having him switch over.

This was a large part of my logic.

And well, it worked/s for Duane Allman, Mark Knopfler and Billy Corgan, so it can't be all bad.

Edited by Murgatroy
Introduce him to Hendrix and buy him a right handed Stratocaster and play it backwards like Hendrix! A new Mexican Strat by Fender is like 450 and the set up and nut job is like 75 for something like that.

Guitar Center has lots to offer in Nashville. Sam Ash too. It's worth looking into the other shops around here too.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't know if he has tried playing right handed, I will suggest that to him, he plays with his uncle who is right handed so he access. He has his eyes on one online, BF deal discounted and and a 15% coupon on top of that, have to order today though. Will guitar center let you return if he doesn't like it out of the box?

Guitar center has a no questions asked 30 day return policy. Keep it clean and you shouldn't have any issues with an exchange/refund even if you buy online. My suggestion if you do that is to have the guitar shipped into your local store if possible. That way if it doesn't pass muster at first glance the process is pretty easy.

I don't have the best track record with getting great service or answers in store, but the people on their phone line have always been great, give them a call and they will help you out.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions, the hunt ended yesterday after a trip to Guitar Center!  Being a novice playing right handed is intriguing to him, but at this point he in does not want to back the learning curve up after the progress he has made playing lefty.

Dale Sellers, no clue for this old boy!

Good question, I was there for moral support and green. I can tell you it was a Taylor, acoustic/electric. I will find out more and report back. I have discovered there is as many disagreements  over "what you should have gotten"  as there is about brands of guns!

Indeed.  Taylor's are nice. 

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions, the hunt ended yesterday after a trip to Guitar Center!  Being a novice playing right handed is intriguing to him, but at this point he in does not want to back the learning curve up after the progress he has made playing lefty.

Dale Sellers, no clue for this old boy!

Dale was the lefty on Hee Haw, played on a bunch of records over the years... one of Nashville's most famous pickers and characters. I think if you search him, you'll find out...

This is him now... http://sellerscustomlures.com/

And on Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/dale.sellers.35

Edited by Steelharp