Internet tech help

Ugly

Hey there folks, I don't have internet on my street but my neighbor does on the cross street, his home is about 1/4 mile away and I'm wondering if there are components I can add to boost his signal and add a receiver at my place to provide wifi at my place.
Any advice is appreciated!
A beam antenna at his end and a repeater bridge at your end might work. Depends on power, height and obstructions in between. You'd have to engineer and build it yourself. I don't know of any cheap, off-the-shelf solutions.

its all about the $$.    We had wireless that would go over 1/2 a mile on the unmanned vehicles I worked on, commercial grade off the shelf stuff not anything special.   You just need to cough up for a bigger antenna, really.   I can find out what we had, but it was a big piece of angle iron (Id say about 3 feet long,  6-8 inches per side, 90 degree angle) on a tripod (like a camera mount).   And a box with an amp for it.  Probably get all you need for under $500 at a guess.

Edited by Jonnin

its all about the $$. We had wireless that would go over 1/2 a mile on the unmanned vehicles I worked on, commercial grade off the shelf stuff not anything special. You just need to cough up for a bigger antenna, really. I can find out what we had, but it was a big piece of angle iron (Id say about 3 feet long, 6-8 inches per side, 90 degree angle) on a tripod (like a camera mount). And a box with an amp for it. Probably get all you need for under $500 at a guess.

Right on (except for the price) worth looking into if you an get the make model # etc.

Using the phone for Internet gobbles up data and Netflix is out of the question.
WIFI runs on SHF freqs - 2.4 and 5GHz - not the longest range stuff with those tiny routers/hotspots.

Get your antenna elevated - dont need a huge one. Homebrew antenna math is freq in MHz ÷ 1005. So a bigger one isnt needed.

Elevation and an amplifier will be needed on both ends - all about that LOS and Dbi

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Highest gain "commercial" 2.4ghz antenna for the least amount of cash outlay is the cantenna. It's based on a Pringles can and can be made DIY but they are available premade below.

http://www.cantenna.com/

That and a decent router flashed with DDWRT or Tomato firmware and you should be in business assuming you have clear line of sight between your places.

I've helped make a pair of $50 linksys routers communicate over 5 miles LOS with nothing but elevation(telephone pole at each end) and better antennea array, no amps needed for WiFi.  :up:

Here's another DIY option that can yield amazing results for the cost.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-build-a-wifi-biquad-dish-antenna/

I will certainly go for the cost effective route. I appreciate all of the input folks! My old lady will be elated when we get internet action up here

Once I'm set up I'll share what worked. Edited by Ugly

The colander approach looks good. You don't even have to build it. Just get the parts and hold the wifi adapter in the approximate position to see if the signal improves. If it improves enough, then build it.

Same approach with the cantina.  Just throw something together with aluminum foil and a Pringles can and duct tape it together. If it works, you can build a more permanent model.

• Like 1

You are using the same directional antenna to receive and transmit so if you can receive you should be able to transmit. Directional on both ends would extend your range but would be harder to aim.

I used my colander set up mostly when camping and visiting relatives that didn't have networks. I would try to hook up on an open networks in the neighborhood. Now that most routers are shipped with passwords I don't use it any more. It all folded up in a fairly small case.

Just to repay the universe and keep good karma, I have two networks set up in my house, one locked and one open for visitors to the neighborhood.

• Like 2

Hey there folks, I don't have internet on my street but my neighbor does on the cross street, his home is about 1/4 mile away and I'm wondering if there are components I can add to boost his signal and add a receiver at my place to provide wifi at my place.
Any advice is appreciated!

It can be done as long as you have line of sight between the 2 sites but make sure you read the terms of service many ISP ban the sharing of services.  Ubiquiti makes some really good stuff for doing long distance connections.

Thanks

Robert