Conceal carry suggestions, sub compact if possible.

Guest anthonyj

Guest anthonyj

I am looking at buying my 2nd gun for my conceal carry. I am wanting to see if anybody can suggest a good sub compact other than an XD [since I have one in 40S&W].

I am trying to veer away from bulky grips since my hand is on the smaller side that's why I prefer sub compacts.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a wide variety of options, depending on what direction you want to go.

I really love the S&W 642 as a carry gun. The light weight and small dimensions make it comfortable for a wide variety of carry methods-- OWB, IWB, pocket carry, or even in an ankle holster.

I am looking at buying my 2nd gun for my conceal carry. I am wanting to see if anybody can suggest a good sub compact other than an XD [since I have one in 40S&W].

I am trying to veer away from bulky grips since my hand is on the smaller side that's why I prefer sub compacts.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Look at the Walther PPS. I don't have one yet, but it is one of the slimmest grips in a .40 I have seen. Also look at the Kahr in .40.

Take a look at the Kahr CW40 when you can, I have one and it is a nice weapon, very slim and easy to carry, they also make the PM40. I suggested these because you said you are trying to get away from the bulky guns, I also own a G27 glock that I carry most of the time.

I've got a Walther PPS in 40 S&W. It has thinner grips than a Kahr and a better trigger. You can get different size mags 7 round with full finger grip, 6 round with 3/4 finger grip, and 5 round with no finger grip (flush mount). I actually like the trigger better than my Glocks, it seems crisper and breaks cleaner. The only negative: $600 and up and mags are 45 a piece

I have 2 sub-compacts that I carry. I have a Glock 27 and a Kel-Tec PF-9. In my experience the Kel-tec is much easier to conceal and more comfortable to carry due to its light weight and very thin cross section. The Glock is much heavier, thicker and is somewhat more difficult to control due to the muzzle flip. I carry my Kel-tec most of the time in a belt or pocket holster and it is almost invisible. With that said, the Glock is a far better made weapon. The trigger much better, the fit and finish is much better and mine has never had a malfunction since I purchased it in 1994 (not sure how long I have had it exactly).

If you do consider a Kel-tec be fully prepared to work with it until you can get it broken in and operating consistantly. You might even want to consider having a qualified gunsmith do a "fluff & buff" before you even take it to the range. Mine started out with about a 15-20% malfunction rate out of the box. After some polishing and an additional trip to the range it dropped to 6%. The last time I had zero malfunctions through 150 rounds. OF course there about a $300 difference in price between the Kel-tec and the Glock. So it all depends on how much you want to spend and how concerned you are about concealability and comfort. Good luck!!

Guest anthonyj

So I've got the ff: suggested options...

1. S&W 642

2. Kimber Ultra CDP

3. Walther PPS

4. Kahr CW40 / PM40 / PM9

5. SIG P245 / 229

6. Glock 27

7. Keltec P3AT / PF9

I would like to stay with a 40 cal. gun if possible so I can buy all the .40 ammunition and not worry about interchanging them.

anymore?

So I've got the ff: suggested options...

1. S&W 642

2. Kimber Ultra CDP

3. Walther PPS

4. Kahr CW40 / PM40 / PM9

5. SIG P245 / 229

6. Glock 27

7. Keltec P3AT / PF9

anymore?

According to your criteria, I think you can throw out the Glock.

Grip as thick as your XD.

- OS

You would be hard-pressed to find a slimmer .40 than the Walther PPS or Kahr PM40. While the S&W 642 would be a great choice, it's not in the caliber you specified. The Glocks, even the G36, would be just as big as the XD you already have. A Springfield EMP 1911 in .40s&w might be a good choice... but considerably more expensive.