Reloading .45/9mm

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the information, it has been a HUGE help in researching my options. I was originally looking at a RCBS Rockchucker but after everything I have read here and what I have learned from others I am leaning toward the Lee Turret Press with the auto index and 4 die options. Mainly because of the simplicity and the cost. Anyone ever use this press?

I've got the turret press with the 3 die plate and I love it. Of course, I'll never crank out more than 100 rounds an hour with it, but it works flawlessly and I'm happy with my ammo.

With the loading sequence I use, I have never needed to upgrade to the 4 die-holder plate, but that's just me.

Have fun!

No lead in Glocks. Polygonal rifling + lead = bad.

Been loading 40 to Major IPSC velocities for years in Glocks and never had a problem. Same with 9's. Run a bore snake through after each match/practice session and you won't have any problems. OBTW, buy once and never look back.......DILLON!

DaG

The only reason I'm looking at the 4 die setup is so I can include a factory crimp die in the process for my .45 acp and 9mm. It that the correct way to set it up?

I use the FCD die as well, but my staging is a little different. I do all my priming in huge batches all by itself, and I hand prime while watching TV.

SO... when I actually load cases to make ammo, I am using already sized and primed brass. All I have to do is 1) charge and flare 2) seat and pre-crimp (if desired) 3) run through FCD.

If you're going to be using the press for priming, and you're going to do everything all at once (resize/deprime, prime, charge, seat, FCD) I think you'd really need 5 dies. I think the only way you could really use all four dies is if you DON'T FCD and prime on the press.

Does that make sense? Also, I'm no genius. Maybe I've forgotten something or gotten something wrong too. Get Lee's "Modern Reloading V2" and read up a good bit. If you are planning on using Lee equipment you'll save yourself a lot of headache by reading up first.

Been loading 40 to Major IPSC velocities for years in Glocks and never had a problem. Same with 9's. Run a bore snake through after each match/practice session and you won't have any problems. OBTW, buy once and never look back.......DILLON!

DaG

You know it,I know it,thousands of IPSC and IDPA shooters know it but try to tell it to the masses of internet reloading experts.:lol:

The Dillon is much FASTER. I can't believe that the ammo would be of any higher quality by the round, but you can make so much more so much faster. Some folks think that there is more chance of error like double charges, etc, when using a progressive. I have no opinion there as I have no experience. However, I do know there are all kinds of accessories you can get to help run more safely, like powder charge checkers. (don't think that's the right term!) If you get the case feeder and other goodies, you can pump out 500+ rds per hour, most people say. I haven't used one yet, but a Dillon is definitely in my long-term plans my shooting habit. At this point, I don't have enough time to go and shoot all the ammo I could make with one, nor could I buy enough components to keep the thing running for more than maybe 20-30 minutes per week! :)

To load up on Dillon, just be prepared to spend a LOT more up front!

Edited by musicman

If your biggest concern is simplicity, I would recommend you stay with the Lee. Just get some extra die plates when you buy your press, then you've really only ever got to set up each caliber once and you're done. You'll have to adjust your bullet seating die each time you change bullet type in each caliber, but that takes all of 10 seconds. I have made spec dummies for each bullet type I use, then just adjust to that before each session. Easy-peesy. I do suggest upgrading to the pro-auto disc powder measure, as the regular one binds up and dumps powder everywhere.

If you want to talk for a bit, PM me and I'll send you my phone number.

Guest Astra900

If you want to talk for a bit, PM me and I'll send you my phone number.

AWWWW! Why not give your # out here? That way we can all pester the :P out of you at 2 in the morning:rofl::)

IMHO, starting with a single stage press is the best way to go.

I found a single stage RCBS attached to a bench at my in-laws house. It came with all the trimmings for reloading, ie scale, trays, powder funnel. All I had to add was a new book and set of dies for my .50ae.

After using a single press a couple hundred times you'll want to switch to a turret style. The time to switch will happen due to boredom, or for faster gratification.

• 3 months later...
I am playing with the idea of reloading target ammo for my .45 and 9mm. I used to reload shotgun shells years ago so I am somewhat familiar with the process but, with that said, pistol ammo seems to be an entirely different creature. Is there a significant savings for reloading these two rounds and what would you veterans recommend to start with? A starter kit? I'm not necessarily concerned with high volume but I don't want to feel like I'm never gonna get a box loaded either.

Thanks.

I have been bitten by the handloading bug and I'm curious if you ended up buying a kit. If so what did you buy, how do you like it, and any sage advice for another newbie. I'll just be loading 9mm for now, but hope to add .223 in the future.

Thanks

I ordered a Lee Turret Press kit in December....it just came in a couple of weeks ago. I havent had a chance to get anything set up :D

What was the deciding factor on the Lee over the Dillon or RCBS? I am leaning towards the Rockchucker supreme reloading kit myself.