Reloading .45/9mm

I am playing with the idea of reloading target ammo for my .45 and 9mm. I used to reload shotgun shells years ago so I am somewhat familiar with the process but, with that said, pistol ammo seems to be an entirely different creature. Is there a significant savings for reloading these two rounds and what would you veterans recommend to start with? A starter kit? I'm not necessarily concerned with high volume but I don't want to feel like I'm never gonna get a box loaded either.

Thanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am playing with the idea of reloading target ammo for my .45 and 9mm. I used to reload shotgun shells years ago so I am somewhat familiar with the process but, with that said, pistol ammo seems to be an entirely different creature. Is there a significant savings for reloading these two rounds and what would you veterans recommend to start with? A starter kit? I'm not necessarily concerned with high volume but I don't want to feel like I'm never gonna get a box loaded either.

Thanks.

If you aren't worried about volume then I would suggest a Lee Turret Press. I use this for everything I reload for. Once you get the dies set up your just pop out one caliber and pop in another with the turret disk.

If you are new to reloading then I would suggest a single stage press. As you become more proficient then you may want to move up to a progressive press. I loaded many many rounds on my RCBS Rock Chucker before I bought a Dillion 550. You can save money reloading but remember you are going to have an intial outlay of cash for the equipment. I have reloaded the same 9/45 brass so many times I have lost count.

With the price of all gun stuff including reloading components going crazy due to the Obama effect, reloading may soon be the only way to shoot.

Guest Astra900

I load 45 and 9mm. I cast my own bullets for them. NOT counting my investment in equipment, I can load 9mm's for roughly $50 per thousand. 45's for around $60. You do the math.

I load 45 and 9mm. I cast my own bullets for them. NOT counting my investment in equipment, I can load 9mm's for roughly $50 per thousand. 45's for around $60. You do the math.

So if you bought bullets, maybe you'd be looking at a figure around $100/1k (9mm)?

I'm considering getting my own setup going, and was curious about costs.

What kind of press do you use, and roughly how long would you say it takes to load a given number of rounds (X-Hrs/100)?

Guest Astra900

I don't see why you can't load for that, if you shop around for the best price on plinking bullets.

I use a Lee cast press. Actually, everything I have is Lee, except for a scale and powder measure. Lee's scale and measure SUCK! I use a Lyman measure and a vintage Hornady scale. Lee dies are as good as any and don't listen to any :drool: that say different. I doubt you are trying to take top place at Camp Perry with your soon to come reloads, so Lee dies are MORE than accurate enough. I have had ZERO problems from anything other than their scale and measure.

Time per hundred?:D I have no idea. I do mine in lots of 1k minimum. I can usually work for 2 hours each evening, and get 1000 done in a 2-3 days, IF I am ahead on my casting. If I have to calculate my casting time too, add another few days worth.

BTW, reloading can save your wallet a fortune, but if you are going to try to count your time, give up now. You have to love it, or leave it. I enjoy reloading about as much as I like to shoot. In the winter...More so! I never count my time, because it's what I love. The savings money wise are just some of the bragging rights only reloaders have.

Astra's advice is spot on... pretty much all of it... read it well.

The only thing is that if you are shooting jacketed (probably a likelihood, especially in 9mm) your bullet prices will be slighty higher. Primers now are between 2.7-2.9cents each, powder (if using Titegroup or another fast powder) will be around three-quarters of a cent per case, to maybe 1.5-2 cents if using a slower powder, especially in .45.

Do some reading about loading lead for 9mm. In light and fast scenarios, sometimes lead is not the best choice. Also, read up on shoot lead in polygonal rifling (if you shoot Glocks, mainly. I think there may be another pistol or two out there with poly rifling)

Lead is great for .45s in just about any application, however. Just clean your gun every few hundred rounds if leading accumulates. (More often if you've got bad leading)

Have fun!

Guest Astra900

OHH thanx musicman. Cast bullets are off limits for Glocks. It's a bad scene that ends up at best with a ruined gun, at worst with ruined body!

Seen it, Not making it up!

Just buy an XD and be done with that:D Just kidding, I think there are aftermarket barrels for Glocks that solve that problem, but I wouldn't know for sure.

I don't see why you can't load for that, if you shop around for the best price on plinking bullets.

I use a Lee cast press. Actually, everything I have is Lee, except for a scale and powder measure. Lee's scale and measure SUCK! I use a Lyman measure and a vintage Hornady scale. Lee dies are as good as any and don't listen to any :drool: that say different. I doubt you are trying to take top place at Camp Perry with your soon to come reloads, so Lee dies are MORE than accurate enough. I have had ZERO problems from anything other than their scale and measure.

Time per hundred?:D I have no idea. I do mine in lots of 1k minimum. I can usually work for 2 hours each evening, and get 1000 done in a 2-3 days, IF I am ahead on my casting. If I have to calculate my casting time too, add another few days worth.

BTW, reloading can save your wallet a fortune, but if you are going to try to count your time, give up now. You have to love it, or leave it. I enjoy reloading about as much as I like to shoot. In the winter...More so! I never count my time, because it's what I love. The savings money wise are just some of the bragging rights only reloaders have.

Awesome, thanks for the in-depth response!

I definitley have a few hours a night a few times a week, and I always have Sunday wide open, and I like projects like this to keep my hands busy!

With my Dillion 550 I can easily load 500 rounds/hr. This is after I have tumbled the brass. Dillion has presses set up for particular calibers which is nice if you just want to load a couple of pistol calibers.

With a single stage it would be much slower but not difficult to do 1k in a couple of days. Size and de-prime, Sit in front of the tv with a hand primer and prime. Then sit down and throw charges and seat and crimp.

If you don't cast your own bullets you can get lead bullets fairly cheap. I have shot thousands through my 45. But most of my 9mm is shot in my Glock so it gets jacketed. UPS should be bringing 500 Hornady 9mm XTP's to the door today. I have brass in the tumbler and just need to set the powder measure. The wife is taking her HCP class on Saturday and suddenly she feels the need to practice. Which gave me an excuse to work up a defense load.

If you can find someone who reloads and have them give you a tour. It will help clear things up.

Guest Astra900

Yeah and the trick with single stage presses is to do everything in steps. I know it's frustrating especially in the middle, but after a tumble, size 'em all, then flare 'em all (pistol) then......so on and so forth. The satisfying part is when you finally start crimping:up: and they start piling up. It's a great feeling after a night of crimping to look at a .50cal ammo can that's overflowing! Full-on-robo-chubby!

awesome, thanks for the in-depth response!

ANYTIME, I hated learning most of what I know on my own. It's a :poop:y deal, so I try to pay it forward.

Awesome. Sounds like I could almost pay for the equipment with the difference between the purchased price and the reloaded price of the first 1000 rounds. Thanks for the info, sounds like several of you guys have been reloading for quite a while. Man this stuff is still addictive after all these years!!

What equipment would be necessary to get started? I know I would obviously need a press & dies, powder measure and scale, depriming & priming tool. Anything else that would be handy to start? I'm seriously looking at the RCBS Supreme Rock Chucker Reloading Kit...any experience or opinions on the kit?

The RCBS kit would be my choice in a single stage set up.If you do any large amount of reloading the Lee Challenger will not hold up.I know I broke the linkage arm on one TWICE.I found a used Rock Chucker and never looked back.

What equipment would be necessary to get started? I know I would obviously need a press & dies, powder measure and scale, depriming & priming tool. Anything else that would be handy to start? I'm seriously looking at the RCBS Supreme Rock Chucker Reloading Kit...any experience or opinions on the kit?

I started with a Rock Chucker Kit about 15 years ago. You can't break or were it out. You can load just about any caliber with it. I still load all my rifle rounds with the RC. The Surpreme kit looks like it will do it all. You may want to invest in a set of Lee shell holders. And you will need a case trimmer. And a decent micrometer. I would definetly recomment that you get a stout bench to mount your press to.

Once purchased you will develop a strange need to pick up brass everywhere you shoot. I have just been sorting throught my latest scrounging. Oh you will also start to aquire all sorts of stuff to go along with it, Chronagraphs....

Calipers for case and overall length

Reloading trays are handy to have

Powder funnel

I use both these books to compare load data. Better to have more than one source

Loadbooks USA Reloading Manual

Hornady "Handbook of Cartridge Reloading: Seventh Edition" Reloading Manual

Edited by herr.baer

oof..I forget about the books... Fadex, man...invest in a good couple of books with reloading data, recipes and such. you can't go wrong..and when you get them..get them with a myriad of calibers so that one day when you DO reload another caliber, you'll have them handy...

you can go online and find a source for a number of loads both hunting and defensive..I suggest that if you find one that you want to try, print it out!

I've used a Lyman Spar T for years. I shoot a lot so it is cheaper. It also gives you flexibility in loads. I shoot SASS and load black powder 12 gauge shotgun shells & .45LC with different color chalk powder for a spectacular muzzle flash, especially at night.

One thing I haven't noticed on this thread is the need for a factory crimp die for auto cartridges. I 'bout went nuts loading for .45ACP, .380ACP & .40 S&W and getting them to consistently chamber. I changed to a factory crimp die for each one and don't have any problems anymore.

It's also not always about saving money. Sometimes it just the joy of the process, and teaching the grandkids how to do it.

Cherokee Slim

Guest Astra900
I've used a Lyman Spar T for years. I shoot a lot so it is cheaper. It also gives you flexibility in loads. I shoot SASS and load black powder 12 gauge shotgun shells & .45LC with different color chalk powder for a spectacular muzzle flash, especially at night.

One thing I haven't noticed on this thread is the need for a factory crimp die for auto cartridges. I 'bout went nuts loading for .45ACP, .380ACP & .40 S&W and getting them to consistently chamber. I changed to a factory crimp die for each one and don't have any problems anymore.

It's also not always about saving money. Sometimes it just the joy of the process, and teaching the grandkids how to do it.

Cherokee Slim

FACTORY CRIMP DIE!! AMEN! None of my 9x19 or .45acp cast bullets would ever work with out it!

That just brought up something else...are the soft lead bullets okay for target ammo? I have been shooting FMJ. I vaguely remember something about the soft lead causing problems with Glock barrels. Would it cause a problem in a Kimber or Kel-tec?