16-17 Proposal to Change Hunting Rules in TN and Types of Weapons

I proposed a similar proposal over the past several years but have changed this proposal after speaking with several hunters and response from the previous proposal. I am asking TN hunters to take the time to answer this survey and I will tally the results and send the proposal to the TWRA during the public comment period for the 2016-2017 hunting season. Before knocking the proposal please take time to read the proposal on the survey One respondent from another local TN hunting blog brought up the fact the deer get a break, do realize there is no break after archery as youth season starts, then a week of archery, then Muzzleloder, then gun. A gunshot is a gunshot regardless from a firearm or muzzleloader

Thanks fellow hunters and TGO.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HYZ62LX

Sorry I can't get behind this measure.  I don't bow hunt but I do muzzle load and hunt modern rifle as well.  I may be inclined to support the measure more if I were more interested in archery than muzzle loading, but I'm not.  I made this decision when trying to figure how to best manage my time.  I had planned to hunt archery this past season and had this in mind when I bought my sportsman's license, but when it came time to get in the woods I just wanted to fish.  I can take plenty of deer during muzzle loader and gun season so I've decided to forego archery, and fish instead in order to best utilize my time in the outdoors.  I also disagree with the insinuation that shooting a modern muzzle loader is just like a single shot modern rifle.  In my experience it has not been and I still consider myself a student in training of the muzzle loading rifle.  Though I've had success muzzle loading over the past two seasons that I have tried it there have been several "hicups" along the way in which I would have taken a deer were I using a modern rifle, yet I was unable to do so with a muzzle loader.  Under optimal conditions a modern black power rifle may rival a conventional rifle in terms of accuracy and distance on a shot by shot basis but as anyone who has spent any time at all hunting knows conditions in the field are rarely optimal.  In addition to the challenge of hunting with a muzzle loader I also enjoy being able to hunt, what is a lot of years, the peak of the rut, before everyone hunting the modern rifle season is in the woods.  As a lifelong hunter I feel that taking a deer with a muzzle loader is much more challenging than taking a deer with a modern rifle.  Enough so that it still warrants its own two week season. 

• 2 weeks later...

OK I have let this idea stew for awhile with folks and there seems to be a bit of confusion...

1.  The TWRA would not lose any money, as they would just have a "gun" tag they would sell on the Saturday muzzleloader starts; you will have more hunters coming into the woods instead of less.

2.  The reason I am proposing this is now, essentially muzzleloaders are front loading, single shot rifles. We have gotten away from traditional percussion, flintlock and matchlock style muzzleloaders that muzzleloader season was developed for anyways. With Remington making its muzzleloader that uses a cut .308 case for ignition and handles up to 200gr of black powder or black powder substitute, Savage's smokeless powder muzzleloader, the various conversions of the older Remington 700 ML, TC Encore and NEF Muzzleloaders to smokeless models, there is no more true muzzleloader hunting.

I understand it loads from the front, but beyond that, difference is null.

I like what Mississippi, South Carolina and Missouri did where they have what they call a "primitive weapons" and/or a "limited range" season where you can use the following:

single shot shotguns loaded with slugs

single shot rifles of .35 caliber or larger firing a pistol cartridge or a straight walled rifle cartridge such as a 375 winchester, 444 marlin, 45/70, etc..

single shot handguns of .35 caliber or larger firing a pistol cartridge or straight walled rifle cartridge as listed above.

With the range you lose with traditional handguns (not TC Contenders or Encores loaded with rifle cartridges or 14" barrels) allowing your typical revolver or 1911 still does not provide that much of an advantage.

OK I have let this idea stew for awhile with folks and there seems to be a bit of confusion...

1.  The TWRA would not lose any money, as they would just have a "gun" tag they would sell on the Saturday muzzleloader starts; you will have more hunters coming into the woods instead of less.

They would lose revenue.  Right now, unless you have a sportsman license, you have to buy two tags to hunt both muzzle loader and gun season.  So every hunter that hunts both seasons would spend half as much on license fees as before unless you are recommending the gun tag price be doubled.

• Like 1