Optic for Carbine ???

justincase

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer

• Red Dot
    • Scope ( 1-6,1-8)
    • Iron's Only

I have one of these. 1-4x< Illuminated reticle, turrets, first focal plane. Reasonable price. it's kind of a circle dot when it's lit up. The 1x is actually a little more than 1x. Not so much that you can't use it with both eyes open

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-1-4x24mm-throwdown-pcl-ffp-riflescope.html?_iv_code=BU-RS-AR91424I&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CjwKEAiAuea1BRCbn-2n7PbLgEMSJAABQvTT1YtEOPglxhHo7tLvhVeyYffb5GBGhQBqaYhhn7sFdBoCtSbw_wcB

Edited by mikegideon

Sounds to me like you don't know exactly what you want to use the optic for. So, with that in mind, I suggest a good 1-4 or 1-6x. For a budget friendly option I'm a big fan of the CMR
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BJXLXS0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1455036058&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=leatherwood+hi-lux+cmr&dpPl=1&dpID=31xXdDtuWZL&ref=plSrch

The Hi-Lux products are very good. You can go from good quality at a reasonable price all the way to stratospheric on their products. I've had a few and liked them.

Currently have a Leupold 1x4, an early CQB model and it works fine too.
Aimpoint Pro or CompM4. Otherwise 1-4/6, strike eagle seems like good deal for $350. Budget, primary arms advanced micro dot with 50k battery life, I have one and it's excellent. Leupold makes some decent AR scopes in the $300+ range.i don't do BD scopes so I cant comment on reticles.
I have a Vortex PST 1-4, 2 Vortex Spitfire red/green dots, and a Vortex Sparc red dot.

Unless you need the 4x capibility, the value/quality of the spitfire is hard to beat. I bought one on sale at PSA for $149! It went back on sale, so I bought another. I've never had any problems with any of my Vortex's.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/vortex-spitfire-1x-prism-scope-with-drt-moa-reticle-spr-1301.html

I bought the first one on sale ($149)... it went to regular price... I emailed PSA that I wanted to buy another at the sale price... they put it back on sale!!! Sold out now though Edited by Wingshooter
  • 3 weeks later...

I would say the Bushnell TRS also with one caveat, they have changed something in the design. I have four.  Two older ones with the gold Bushnell on the side are very bright. The two most recent ones with the white writing on the sight are just not as bright. But it does work.

The most recent one I purchase for a 9MM AR last week was just not as bright as the older ones. I am swapping it out with one of the older ones and putting the new one on one of my pistols. The newer ones work in full sunlight but are just not as bright as the older ones. Over the past few days I have been inclined to call Bushnell to see if the changed something.

PSA is the cheapest place I have found for the TRS-25 on sale for $49.00. They are usually $80 plus everywhere else. Get a UTG riser mount for $8 off Amazon. They make three heights.  

What he said.  And I concur on the Bushnell TRS info above. I have had very good luck with them and they serve me well for amount of money spent.  I have had four of them in use for a couple of years now with no problems.  If I were depending on them daily for service use I would pop for upper end optics, yet for my use these are doing well.  If you want absolute co witness use the "medium" UTG riser.

• 1 month later...
If it's only a 300 yards or under gun then don't waste weight on a variable zoom optic. There is no need for an optic that size unless you're going for precision target shooting. For just hitting steel, a micro red dot like the Trijicon MRO, Aimpoint Micro or anything similar will do just fine. Edited by MrJones79
  • Like 1
Depends on what you want to use it for and your eyes. As I get older it gets harder and harder to see what I can hit with a red dot only at distance. A 1-6ish scope cover 99% of what you'd need an AR or AK to do.