Aero 308 build

samson7x

I mentioned doing a build thread in the PSA AR10 thread so here it is:

I own several AR's and wanted something different, so I got a wild hair and decided to do one in 308.  I want this to be a budget build, but it needs to be reliable and accurate enough to make hits on a 12" gong at 600yds.....something that the 308 is more than capable of.  I decided on Aero receivers as they seem to be good quality...not the best, but not the worst.  From my reading, they seemed to be a better choice than PSA so I caught one on sale at Brownells for $150.  I'll put the price breakdown later but here are the receivers.

[URL=http://s107.photobucket.com/user/samson7x/media/DSC_0595_zpsct3fxa66.jpg.html]DSC_0595_zpsct3fxa66.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s107.photobucket.com/user/samson7x/media/DSC_0596_zpsbxvh0bp1.jpg.html]DSC_0596_zpsbxvh0bp1.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s107.photobucket.com/user/samson7x/media/DSC_0597_zpszugp767g.jpg.html]DSC_0597_zpszugp767g.jpg[/URL]

I actually ordered them from different places so they weren't a matched set or anything.  However, they fit great and the finish is the same on both and everything seems good to go.  There are a few rough marks on the inside of the upper where the BCG rides.  Hopefully it won't cause any issues, but we shall see.

I had some parts laying around, so that will help with overall cost.  Here is what I have on order:

Ballistic advantage 16" premium barrel - guaranteed 1moa or less using match ammo

AIM nitride bcg - all my research says this is a great bcg for the money

308 buffer and spring

receiver extension and endplate

Aero pins - these are longer than a standard LPK

midlength gas tube

Forward assist kit

Parts I had on hand:

Kies adjustable gas block

BCM gunfighter grip

LPK

Magpul ACS-L stock

specwar muzzle brake

Still need to order:

handguard - not sure what I want to go with yet.  Thinking either MI or SLR in 14" or 15"

geissele trigger

Optic

Raptor charging handle

Here is what I've got so far:

[URL=http://s107.photobucket.com/user/samson7x/media/DSC_0602_zpsh57osrn4.jpg.html]DSC_0602_zpsh57osrn4.jpg[/URL]

• Like 4

Looks like you are well underway. What type of optic are you going to run?

I'm not really sure yet.  In keeping with the "budget" mindset, I may throw an SWFA fixed power on there that I already have.  It's either 10x or 12x, I can't remember.

Great looking build, look forward to seeing it as it progresses.

Working on a similar project myself.

Thanks

Ordered a Raptor charging handle today.  Primary arms put them on sale for $85.46 so I figured I might as well jump on it.  Got a Seekins extended mag release button while I was at it. 

Well several of my parts came in and I'm getting close.  I'm still waiting on BCG and handguard.  I decided on the SLR solo lite series and went with the 14".  I called them up to ask a question and they were very helpful and even gave me a coupon code for 10% off!  To top that off, I had a shipping notification in exactly 30 minutes!  Awesome company as far as customer service is concerned.  Obviously I'll give my impressions of the handguard later once it's received. 

The BA barrel looks great.  Rifling looks good, threading is nice, crown is good, finish is smooth.  Test fit in my receiver is nice and snug.  I guess my only complaint is that it isn't dimpled.

BCG should be here tomorrow, not sure about the handguard. 

Edited by samson7x
  • Like 2

snip

I decided on the SLR solo lite series and went with the 14".  I called them up to ask a question and they were very helpful and even gave me a coupon code for 10% off!  To top that off, I had a shipping notification in exactly 30 minutes!  Awesome company as far as customer service is concerned.  Obviously I'll give my impressions of the handguard later once it's received. 

snip

Great minds think alike (well, similarly anyway).  :D  I went with an SLR handguard too.  I ended up with a 14" Solo Ultralight M-Lok.  I arrived at that particular SLR handguard mainly because I got a good deal on it through Rainier Arms.  I've received it, but haven't installed it yet.  Looks great and is surprisingly light for its size (13.8 oz including barrel nut and all mounting hardware).

Well I finished it up tonight.  That SLR handguard is NICE.  It's super light and easy to install.  You don't have to line up anything for the gas tube so just torque to spec and slap it on there....simple.  You don't need any special tools either.  The only thing that was disappointing is that it does not come with rail sections like most other handguards.  I'll have to buy some for my bipod because I don't have any for keymod. 

I checked headspace and all is well.  Installed and timed the brake

It weighs just over 8lbs sans optic and suppressor.  Didn't weight it with optic because I'll be changing it.  I just threw a 3-9x nikon on it for the time being. 

The only thing left to do is install a dust cover and bipod.  I may get a range report tomorrow if the rain holds off.  I have a selection of plinker 147 and 150 loads as well as some match 168 and handload 178's. 

Here she is:

[url=http://s107.photobucket.com/user/samson7x/media/DSC_0604_zpsmeasdyjy.jpg.html]DSC_0604_zpsmeasdyjy.jpg[/URL]

Edited by samson7x
  • Like 6

Well I took it to the range today and had mixed results.  I had a selection of ammo and will report the groups later, but I'll just say that it did not like the cheap ball ammo unfortunately.  I had a few issues that can be corrected.  First, my trigger pin started walking out causing some malfunctions because I didn't catch it in time.  Luckily it didn't do too much damage and the trigger still functions fine.  I will be getting some KNS anti rotation pins.  Secondly,  I had a few light primer strikes, but these were on reloads and so I'll take the blame.  I believe the primer wasn't seated fully on a few of the rounds.  I will need a heavier buffer/more refined  gas tuning because the bcg actually contacted the lower receiver a few times and caused a small ding on each side.  I'll post a pic later, but that can be resolved as well.  The brake is very effective without the can although recoil was a bit harsh due to the above mentioned buffer/gas problem.  DO NOT buy the radical arms buffer.  It's cheaply made and not heavy enough. 

It did feed everything and I did not experience any jams at all. 

Here are group results using a bipod/bag....no shooting rest.  These are 5 shot groups excluding flyer.

Perfecta 147gr - 2.08"

Freedom munitions 147gr - 3.8"

Federal XM80 149gr- 3.25"

Hornady 150 fmj handload - 2.8"

Hornady 168 bthp handload - 1.4"

Hornady match 168 bthp - 1.2"

Hornady 178 amax handload - 0.82" and 0.68"

So, as you can see, this barrel likes the heavies.  I'll experiment more with the 168's because they are cheaper to load.  I'll also do some more experimenting to see if I can tighten up those 150fmj loads for plinking. 

I did get some ejector swipes on some of the brass.  I wasn't really paying attention so I don't know what was the culprit.  A few of those handloads were pretty hot for a bolt gun, so I'm thinking that's where my issue is.  I plan on dialing back a bit to see if that goes away. 

Once again, these are the first shots of this barrel so I'm hoping it settles in a little and shoots those better.  This thing was like a shotgun with that freedom munitions stuff.  I've never been impressed with their lighter weight rifle ammo.

That's all for now. 

Edited by samson7x
  • Like 1

Get the SLR adjustable gas block. Makes a HUGE difference. I went the cheap adjustable gas block first (Kies) and ended up finally getting the SLR. Worth it.

I'll take a look at it.  The cheap ones do not hold the adjustment.  It seems like it was always backing off and becoming overgassed.  Mine happens to be a Kies as well.

I have Syracs on my other guns and they are great.  The adjustment has a ball detent that holds it in place.

Side note:  Ordered KNS anti-rotation pins today.  

I'll take a look at it. The cheap ones do not hold the adjustment. It seems like it was always backing off and becoming overgassed. Mine happens to be a Kies as well.

I have Syracs on my other guns and they are great. The adjustment has a ball detent that holds it in place.

Side note: Ordered KNS anti-rotation pins today.

Same problem I ran into with the Kies. The SLR is worth it. It'll also save you the hassle of trying to find the right buffer spring/buffer weight.

Same problem I ran into with the Kies. The SLR is worth it. It'll also save you the hassle of trying to find the right buffer spring/buffer weight.

How does their design work?  The description says no ball detent or spring.

Sounds like a solid choice.  Their handguard is top notch quality so I'd expect the same with the gas block.

How does their design work?  The description says no ball detent or spring.

Sounds like a solid choice.  Their handguard is top notch quality so I'd expect the same with the gas block.

The side piece works kinda like a leaf spring that holds a plunger in place. The adjustment screw has 15 positions that you can adjust through the front. Makes it real easy. Also, since the plunger doesn't come into contact with the gas, it doesn't get fouled up.

• Like 1

The side piece works kinda like a leaf spring that holds a plunger in place. The adjustment screw has 15 positions that you can adjust through the front. Makes it real easy. Also, since the plunger doesn't come into contact with the gas, it doesn't get fouled up.

Well you talked me in to it.  I'm going to order one next week.  I'm sick of fighting with this Kies.  I'll probably rocksett the adjustment screw in place at wide open and use it on a cheap build later on. 

Well you talked me in to it.  I'm going to order one next week.  I'm sick of fighting with this Kies.  I'll probably rocksett the adjustment screw in place at wide open and use it on a cheap build later on. 

I love SLR Rifleworks products and like others have said before the adjustable gas blocks are completely worth it. I put a titanium one on my AR15 with a Proof barrel and love it.

https://youtu.be/el81LPKQAEA

• Like 1