"Christmas" is apparently a dirty word.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Guest GUTTERbOY

I have no words. At least the school reversed their decision.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/4109048/

'Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer' causes stir at school

Wilmington, N.C. — "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" caused a stir at a New Hanover County school. A parent complained about the song's religious reference and got it pulled from her child's kindergarten Christmas show at Murrayville Elementary School.

The song was pulled “because it had the word Christmas in it,†said Rick Holliday, assistant school superintendent.

A Jewish mother, who didn't want her name published, objected to what she called "religious overtones" in the song. So the principal agreed to pull it from the program.

School administrators said they were then flooded with complaints from other angry parents.

“I would say it's not a very religious song. It's about Santa Claus,†parent Anne Vanslyke said.

School board members, administrators and attorneys listened closely to the song's lyrics and decided the song was secular.

“Rudolph is a secular song. It was about a flying reindeer, not a religious symbol,†Holliday said.

Many parents shouted out with glee when they heard the song was back in the program.

“I think it's great that they let the kids sing because all the kids love that song,†Vanslyke said.

Any student who objects to singing a Christmas song or attending a program can decline participation and will not be penalized, according to school administrators.

“We do try to be cognizant of everyone's feelings,†Holliday said.

School administrations also decided that for future concerts, religious songs can be included, as long as other faiths are represented as well.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

How ironic the superintendent's last name is 'Holliday'.

Jeesh. Have these bleeding hearts nothing better to do?

I'm gonna spend the rest of my week trying to find something to be offended about. I'm sick of this 'victim' mentality.

Guest RISC777
How ironic the superintendent's last name is 'Holliday'.

Jeesh. Have these bleeding hearts nothing better to do?

I'm gonna spend the rest of my week trying to find something to be offended about. I'm sick of this 'victim' mentality.

+1

:cool:

I'm offended terrorists are allowed to testify against our troops.

I'm offended Chicago is part of the US.

I'm offended PRK is part of the US.

I'm offended I have to work 60+ hours a week when there are a bunch of lazy a$$ POS' who sit at home drawing a check.

Yes, Let's have her "removed from the program".;)
Originally Posted by Punisher84 viewpost.gif

She offends me. I want her banned.

Yes, Let's have her "removed from the program".:)

I know a guy!!

Wait, I mean, I read about a guy...yeah, yeah...want the book?;);)

Gentlemen...BRING ME THE PATRIOT CHIP! :death:

Guest Boomhower

I got home tonight and my 7 yr. old son has hand made me a "Happy Holiday" card. Complete with none other than a cut out snowman on the front. This was of course, made in a public school system......

Needless to say, in the morning, we will be having a little chat before he heads back off to school. It has always been "Merry Christmas" around here and it will continue to be so. I don't care what any public school teacher or official has to say about it. The irony here is that these people bitch about the freedom of speech, but yet my speech is the only thing getting trampled.......ridicioulous :koolaid:

"School board members, administrators and attorneys listened closely to the song's lyrics and decided the song was secular."

Vomit, Vomit, Vomit

Here let me edit it for you...

"Over-educated whackos, over-payed nutjobs and life-sucking vampires listened closely to the song's lyrics and decided the song was secular."