Memphis area TGO'ers....travel advice....

BigPoppa

I'll be in Memphis (Rangemaster) in the near future for some training.

I'm looking for a cost effective, but nice, motel in a relatively safe part of town :cool: or even one of the suburbs.

Close and/or easy to get to from Rangemaster would be good too.

I know nada of Memphis geography, so point me in the right direction.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything in the poplar / I40 are would be good and only a couple exits away from rangemaster. Memphis hilton is a nice safe place near lots of good restaurants. I personally would not stay near mt. moriah / perkins but there are several hotels there.

DO NOT stay around rangemaster. The Poplar/I240 area mentioned above is a better area. You have a Holiday Inn, Homewood Suites, and something else I can't think of at the Poplar/I240 interchang, maybe a Comfort Inn or something, there is a Hampton Inn off that same exit to the west at Poplar and Estate. The Hilton is a few miles west of the Hampton Inn. Hampton Inn is across the street from a Taco Bell, and a Raferties or bennigans, just down a little is McDonalds, Corky's BBQ.

Just South of Rangemaster is Fox Plaza Drive, Leonards Pit BBQ is located there. You can order specific food or get the buffet, BBQ and fried Catfish and all sorts of other stuff. I haven't been in awhile, but I remember it being good.

I'm not sure what training you will do at RangeMaster but if you haven't committed to something you should check out Range USA. It's in Bartlett, which is just outside of Memphis and plenty of great hotels in a good area of town. I do my business and shooting there. I picked up a new XD from them Tuesday and will be taking my oldest son through their youth class this Sunday. They have a lot of advanced classes to offer. Check them out at Rangeusa.com! (No, I don't work there.) Never been to RangeMaster and have vowed to never go in Guns 'n Ammo again.

Guest Verbal Kint
The Corps put me up at Mt. Moriah Holiday Inn the night before I went to MEPS, it's not too bad. The breakfast is decent, too.

Dude... you're mistaken... they were just trying to desensitize you for Iraq and Afghanistan. :P

Dude... you're mistaken... they were just trying to desensitize you for Iraq and Afghanistan. :lol:

When I was 19 I took a year off college and did some traveling work for an HVAC company. I spent 2 months in DC. After that, I came pretty close to enlisting, as Iraq and Afghanistan didn't see so bad :P

I'd be willing to bet that BigPoppa is not driving all the way to Memfo from M'boro for the kind of training they offer at RUSA.

I will disagree with you on this 100%. The instruction and instructors at RangeUSA are top notch, from the classes that are offered, the instruction that is given, and the experience and teaching of the instructors. From beginner to seasoned.

This is not a slam against Tom Givens, he is an excellent instructor, very reputable and runs great classes. But to say that someone wouldn't travel for the "kind of training they offer at RUSA" is not accurate.

Guest truthsayer
I will disagree with you on this 100%. The instruction and instructors at RangeUSA are top notch, from the classes that are offered, the instruction that is given, and the experience and teaching of the instructors. From beginner to seasoned.

This is not a slam against Tom Givens, he is an excellent instructor, very reputable and runs great classes. But to say that someone wouldn't travel for the "kind of training they offer at RUSA" is not accurate.

I think you might misunderstand me. I have taken tons of training there. BigPoppa is an LEO (according to his sig) that works in the training business (from what I understand). For him to drive from M'boro to Memfo suggests to me that he's looking for something more advanced that what is offered at RUSA.

Feel free to ask for clarification before taking me to task on anything else.

I think you might misunderstand me. I have taken tons of training there. BigPoppa is an LEO (according to his sig) that works in the training business (from what I understand). For him to drive from M'boro to Memfo suggests to me that he's looking for something more advanced that what is offered at RUSA.

Feel free to ask for clarification before taking me to task on anything else.

I see where you are coming from. In regards to taking you to task, I didn't. Your post was not clear, I posted a response. You clarified your intent with additional information, I posted back with an agreed.

I got your original meaning from it, but I could see how Db took it that way. Rangemaster tends to host alot of seminars that have nothing to do with their actual faculty, but they have guest instrustors.

The thing to keep in mind is that RUSA, Rangemaster, and Top Brass all have classes that are geared towards the civilian market. That being said though, I know several LEOs who could benefit from those classes.

I also know that only one of the 3 mentioned ranges has an instructor staff that is compromised of about 90% military and LE. ;)

Guest truthsayer
I will add to truthsayer, no offense intended or directed.

Yeah... you didn't deserve that. It was intended for my ex-wife and your post happened to occupy adjacent emotional brainspace. Should we meet in person, you can give me a South Park style roshambo.

/hijack

Yeah... you didn't deserve that. It was intended for my ex-wife and your post happened to occupy adjacent emotional brainspace. Should we meet in person, you can give me a South Park style roshambo.

/hijack

Ok, not only that, a new keyboard! LOL.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread topic.;)

Are those one hour motels still open on Summer Avenue? I think it was something like $20 an hour, which included fresh sheets, but "room service" was extra.

But, seriously, Poplar/240, Park Avenue/Ridgeway/St. Francis area- all are safer than most of the stuff closer to Rangemaster. And they are more expensive, too. Don't leave anything visible in your car-- even the better motel parking areas are plagued by smash-and-grab thieves.

Edited by ZenDog