Need an Ophthalmologist Recommendation - Knoxville

I am looking to get some RX safety glasses but I need to first get the correct prescription for the lenses. I don't need a strong correction - just enough to help me quickly focus on the front sight.  Does anyone have a recommendation for an ophthalmologist in Knoxville who will understand what I am looking for?  I don't plan on taking a gun into the office so that is not a concern.

TIA

I brought a red dot sight into the VA and the doctor gave me two prescriptions, one for everyday use and another for when I am shooting. I held it at arms length and he made corrections until the red dot was as clear as it was going to get. I cannot see why any doctor could not do the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
I drive to Sweetwater and go to Foster's Eye Care. Had problems with prescriptions for 3 years and saw several different Dr's. He nailed it the first time and have had no issues now for 3 years and I go annually. Will drive for that.
  • Admin Team

You don't need an ophthalmologist, you need an optometrist.  Most optometrists will have a variety of safety glasses that they can fit you for just like they would any other pair of glasses.  Or, if there's a specific pair you're looking at ordering online, you'd just need a prescription.  Like was mentioned above, you could get specific correction for a sight at a known distance, you'd just have to communicate that with the doctor.

Mind you, you're probably well advised to work with a small independent provider as opposed to one of the big box chains.

• Like 1

I drive to Sweetwater and go to Foster's Eye Care. Had problems with prescriptions for 3 years and saw several different Dr's. He nailed it the first time and have had no issues now for 3 years and I go annually. Will drive for that.

Tom's good that's who we use.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I had the same issue.  I purchase some 1.5 safety glasses from Amazon and they were not very expensive.  That was all I really needed for that

distance. They will scratch easily so be careful with them... but they work.

You will probably still have a problem of front sight clear but target fuzzy. Try a pair of safety glasses with a lower lens 1.5 magnification first to see how it will work for you. The problem is trying to focus at two different distances.

I have the same problem and can use either clear front sight/fuzzy target or clear target/fuzzy front sight for shooting.

Edited by DWARREN123