carrying an FN 5 7

Guest Rem_700

Contrary what particular? The PDW concept or origination, the fact that FN's AP ammo can't be sold to civilians, or the part about using a fast 22 (or if you prefer, a lightly turbocharged 25ACP) not being a really good defensive round choice? You aren't gonna hurt my feelings.

Most of the 57 boogey boogey can be sourced to the Brady Clowns trying to get it banned as a "cop killer" 4 or 5 years ago.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearmstech/fabriquen.htm

FN 5.7 (Fabrique Nationale) pistol is a semiautomatic pistol in 5.7 X 28 mm caliber

1/20/05 In response to numerous questions that ATF has received regarding the capabilities of the 5.7 X 28mm cartridge, the following technical information is provided.

FTB classified SS196 ammunition as not armor piercing.

The FN 5.7 (Fabrique Nationale) pistol is a semiautomatic pistol in 5.7 X 28 mm caliber.

fn57.jpg

Type: Double Action Only or Single Action (in Tactical model).

Chambering: 5.7x28mm.

Length: 208 mm

Barrel length: 122.5 mm

Magazine: 20 rounds.

The FN 5.7 (Fabrique Nationale) pistol is a semiautomatic pistol in 5.7 X 28 mm caliber approved for importation as a sporting firearm.

The classification of all ammunition is governed strictly by the definitions presented in the GCA. Specifically, as defined in 18 U.S.C. Section 921(a)(17)(:rolleyes:, the term "armor piercing ammunition" means-

1. a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
  2. a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

FTB has also examined a 5.7 X 28 mm projectile that FN Herstal has designated the "SS196." The SS196 is loaded with a Hornady 40 grain, jacketed lead bullet. FTB classified SS196 ammunition as not armor piercing ammunition under Federal firearms statutes.

According to FNH USA, FN Herstal tested the SS192 ammunition. SS192 ammunition did not penetrate the Level IIIA vests that were tested. FNH USA states that SS196, Hornady V-Max 40 gr. bullets fired from a 4-3/4 inch barrel did not penetrate the Level II vests that were used in testing.

FNH USA has informed FTB that SS192 is no longer imported for commercial sale to the United States and that commercial sales of 5.7 X 28mm ammunition are restricted to the SS196 (not armor piercing).

FN Herstal 5.7 X 28mm Ammunition

SS190 - Armor piercing (AP)

SS191 - AP Tracer

SS192 - Hollow Point (not AP)

SB193 - AP Subsonic

SS195 - "Green" - lead free hollow point projectile with copper jacket (not AP)

SS196 - Sporting round (Hornady 40 gr. V-max, hollow point lead), (not AP)

10700004 Blank (not classified as ammunition under Federal law)

10700005 Dummy

Edited by Mark@Sea
added ATF data
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give ya that Bkelm. :dirty: I've just trained for things FAR beyond normal circumstance in the hopes that I can handle the "average" circumstance should it arise. I've also been fortunate to receive several types of training not normally given to the general public, because of where I work and who I know.

That has helped me immensely.

I gotta ask, Punisher... Where do you work/what do you do? Sounds interesting.

I dunno but this looks pretty much like a painful tumbling round right here

http://www.brassfetcher.com/FN%20SS195%20lead-free%20FMJ.html

:P

SS196 sucks rocks and was replaced with SS197....SS195 is still very much available and is identical to SS192 except its lead free and as quoted elsewhere "5.7 has been around for over 10 years. It is not to soon to state it's ballistic performance. It is new to the civilian market because it's information is being supressed. The SS192 & SS195 have almost identical ballistics to LEO's SS190 round. The difference is the SS192 & SS195 are designed to deform when encountering thick steel plates to make it safe for range use. As far as terminal ballistics in humans they are practically the same. I have personally conducted test with the SS192 & SS195 and found the penetration of kevlar to be very close to the SS190. I would not consider the SS196 since that round was purposely designed to diminish it's capabilitys for civilians." The owner of Frontier Firearms also conducted his own tests with lvlII kevlar and SS195....its cuts right through both sides. So what were we disagreeing on again? To me it seems most detractors of the 5.7 have never actually shot or owned one.

Contrary what particular? The PDW concept or origination, the fact that FN's AP ammo can't be sold to civilians, or the part about using a fast 22 (or if you prefer, a lightly turbocharged 25ACP) not being a really good defensive round choice? You aren't gonna hurt my feelings.

Most of the 57 boogey boogey can be sourced to the Brady Clowns trying to get it banned as a "cop killer" 4 or 5 years ago.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearmstech/fabriquen.htm

FN 5.7 (Fabrique Nationale) pistol is a semiautomatic pistol in 5.7 X 28 mm caliber

1/20/05 In response to numerous questions that ATF has received regarding the capabilities of the 5.7 X 28mm cartridge, the following technical information is provided.

FTB classified SS196 ammunition as not armor piercing.

The FN 5.7 (Fabrique Nationale) pistol is a semiautomatic pistol in 5.7 X 28 mm caliber.

fn57.jpg

Type: Double Action Only or Single Action (in Tactical model).

Chambering: 5.7x28mm.

Length: 208 mm

Barrel length: 122.5 mm

Magazine: 20 rounds.

The FN 5.7 (Fabrique Nationale) pistol is a semiautomatic pistol in 5.7 X 28 mm caliber approved for importation as a sporting firearm.

The classification of all ammunition is governed strictly by the definitions presented in the GCA. Specifically, as defined in 18 U.S.C. Section 921(a)(17)(:P, the term "armor piercing ammunition" means-

1. a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
  2. a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

FTB has also examined a 5.7 X 28 mm projectile that FN Herstal has designated the "SS196." The SS196 is loaded with a Hornady 40 grain, jacketed lead bullet. FTB classified SS196 ammunition as not armor piercing ammunition under Federal firearms statutes.

According to FNH USA, FN Herstal tested the SS192 ammunition. SS192 ammunition did not penetrate the Level IIIA vests that were tested. FNH USA states that SS196, Hornady V-Max 40 gr. bullets fired from a 4-3/4 inch barrel did not penetrate the Level II vests that were used in testing.

FNH USA has informed FTB that SS192 is no longer imported for commercial sale to the United States and that commercial sales of 5.7 X 28mm ammunition are restricted to the SS196 (not armor piercing).

FN Herstal 5.7 X 28mm Ammunition

SS190 - Armor piercing (AP)

SS191 - AP Tracer

SS192 - Hollow Point (not AP)

SB193 - AP Subsonic

SS195 - "Green" - lead free hollow point projectile with copper jacket (not AP)

SS196 - Sporting round (Hornady 40 gr. V-max, hollow point lead), (not AP)

10700004 Blank (not classified as ammunition under Federal law)

10700005 Dummy