carrying an FN 5 7

Guest Rem_700

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rem_700

From what i've heard,that the 5 7 is a tumbler also.I think that over penetration would only be an issue if you was useing the ammo that is no longer avalible to civilians to purchase,I believe it is ss195.Elite ammo makes some loads that are designed for carry and self defence.As far as ammo prices,it is right in line with other popular calibers $20 for 50rnds.But it isn't as readily avalible though.I know of 2 local gun shops who stock it.But I have read on the net that federal and cheaper than dirt is going to start manufacturing it.

Hypothetical situation: Man grabs your wife in a parking lot, people are all around, She moves enough for a shot, you're NOT going to take it because of other people? Since when does any human have the precognitive power to see and assess that fast?
I'm not married!

But,to answer the question,no I would not shoot if there was a possibility of hitting someone near the attacker.

I'm not talking about folks back-ways walking through a parking lot,those folks are fair game :P but for someone within striking distance beside,or behind,I would not shoot.

We are not talking about the movies here where impossible shots are made,and an attacker is taken down by a head shot while the helpless female is clutched for protection,we are talking about real life,with real lives on the line

Edited by strickj

A 5/7 was tested and proven by the FBI. It was tested as an armor piercing pistol and does have a proven record at doing that. It also stopped in the body very quickly. Not my first chose. But I do believe I might be able to get use one.

As far as not shooting when someone else is around! Some people need to get to know there guns and there ammo. I know exactly what all of my guns will do and how all of my ammo handles. If you don't understand that you need more practice. Go to pull apart and get windows and etc. Practice shooting everything you can find. The highways are a great place to start looking. Make a jelly head if you would like. Go to the bowling alley and get there old pins. Just do something rather than shoot at a paper target all day. Train for the worst case scenario and you will always be prepared. Train for an attack on a paper man and prepare to die!

I know my guns,and ammo :P

Like I said,if you think you can take out this dude,then you have a problem with whats real,and whats a movie.

This is not the movies,there are real consequences,and its just plain irresponsible

xin_22120220082036712371.jpg

Shots on scrubs like that are made everyday. Good guys-1 Bad guys-0

There are differences, but I will stand here and tell you this. Under pressure, 25 feet distance, while that jerkoff is yapping I can put a round through his T-Box and drop his ass before he can twitch that knife.

So can the majority of snipers, SWAT guys, and any trained shooter who practices to do more than just put 2 rounds COM every month or so when they go to the range and pop off 50 rounds.

I know my guns,and ammo :P

Like I said,if you think you can take out this dude,then you have a problem with whats real,and whats a movie.

This is not the movies,there are real consequences,and its just plain irresponsible

xin_22120220082036712371.jpg

How far away am I getting to shoot from? What type of firearm do I get to have to shoot him with? Because I will tell you right now, that from any where out to 300 yards, I will guarantee a head shot with my 308 with out thinking twice about it, as long as they move the people in the back out of the way. With in 10 with my handgun, I would take the shot as well. I know that I can hit his head and put the round into the "triangle" with out a problem. I also know that when I put a round through there, he will instantly die, all motor functions will cease, and he will not spasm; he will drop to the ground dead. That shot is a relatively easy shot to begin with. You've got a 8" or bigger target to start with. Then if you don't want him to spasm, your target just became about 3"x2". Of course I do practice those type of shots on a regular basis, some times while moving, with both my AR and pistol. I practice the longer shots with my bigger and longer rifle.

I understand that you know your limits, but your limits are only what you let them be.

I'll bite.."T-Box"?

I presume you mean skull, but never heard that before?

- OS

T-box is what my Scout Sniper buddy calls it. That may or may not be anything more than his term, but it's basically across the brow line and down the nose forming a "T". This is where your softest points are on the front of your skull and also a shot there will pretty much hit the brain stem and drop them without a twitch.

Guest bkelm18

Everyone is talking rifles. You aren't going to be carrying a .308 sniper rifle with you. :P I dunno. I just couldn't justify myself killing an innocent bystander just for the chance of killing some BG who may or may not be trying to kill my wife. They aren't going to be standing there talking like they do in the movies. They are going to be on the move. I would not take the shot. I could end up killing the wife or some random person, neither of which I would easily live with. The gun isn't always the answer. Just because you have one doesn't make it the ultimate solution. Don't get me wrong, if I saw the opportunity of killing the BG with high probability without a crowd of people behind them, then yeah, I would. My wife would understand that, but you have to assess the situation at hand. If the end justifies the means for you, then thats your call. We would each react differently. No use in debating about it. Damnit I hate waking up at 5:30 on my days off.

Everyone is talking rifles. You aren't going to be carrying a .308 sniper rifle with you. ;) I dunno. I just couldn't justify myself killing an innocent bystander just for the chance of killing some BG who may or may not be trying to kill my wife. They aren't going to be standing there talking like they do in the movies. They are going to be on the move. I would not take the shot. I could end up killing the wife or some random person, neither of which I would easily live with. The gun isn't always the answer. Just because you have one doesn't make it the ultimate solution. Don't get me wrong, if I saw the opportunity of killing the BG with high probability without a crowd of people behind them, then yeah, I would. My wife would understand that, but you have to assess the situation at hand. If the end justifies the means for you, then thats your call. We would each react differently. No use in debating about it. Damnit I hate waking up at 5:30 on my days off.

Exactly! The question presented was

Originally Posted by Astra900 viewpost.gif

Hypothetical situation: Man grabs your wife in a parking lot, people are all around, She moves enough for a shot, you're NOT going to take it because of other people? Since when does any human have the precognitive power to see and assess that fast?

Somebody also said swat snipers do this all the time,well yes but they also dont do this without extensively studying the BGs moves.Like can be seen here

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6hQro5L8ao[/ame]

This is also not done with handguns,in a spare of the moment type situation

Guest bkelm18
I wasn't. Inside 25 feet with a pistol I can make that shot.

Maybe you can, but I'd say 99% of HCP holders can't hit a bobbing/weaving/moving head at 15+ yards. Anyway, I digress, we've steered the topic off course.

I'll give ya that Bkelm. ;) I've just trained for things FAR beyond normal circumstance in the hopes that I can handle the "average" circumstance should it arise. I've also been fortunate to receive several types of training not normally given to the general public, because of where I work and who I know.

That has helped me immensely.

Guest HexHead

From Speed....

Harry: "Alright, pop quiz: The airport. Gunman with one hostage, he's using her for cover, he's almost to the plane. You're a hundred feet away. (Long pause) Jack?"

Jack: "Shoot the hostage.""

Harry: "What?"

Jack: "Take her out of the equation. Go for the good wound and he can't get to the plane with her. Clear shot"

Harry: "You are deeply nuts, you know that? 'Shoot the hostage'... jeez..."

:D

And the fact the 5.7 will penetrate body armor is as good a reason as any to get one. You just never know.

"Penetrates Body Armor".... "Does not over-penetrate"... "Designed to tumble"...

Does not compute.

The 5.7 system was designed for non-combat troops as a personal defense round/weapon*. The weapons designed for it have really high capacity magazines for a reason. Kind of like getting pecked to death by the Bluebird of Happiness, it will put the target down, eventually, but unless a central nervous system hit is made, it will take a while. The armor piercing aspect is certainly true - for the military AP ammo, which is not (and will not be) commercially available in this country. Your selection for other ammo is pretty limited - either frangible of some type, which will have the penetration of a grape thrown at a brick wall - or solids, which will be about like punching a watermellon with an icepick. Hollowpoint, high-tech, gee-whiz rounds? Sorry, the basic physics aren't there. The only way you're gonna see significant numbers of one-shot stops with this round is if we are suddenly swarmed by lemmings. Or maybe gerbils (for the Air Force types :D ).

*not in a "this will protect me by killing the enemy troops" kind of way, more like a "this will slow them down by forcing them to find cover, so I can jump in my truck and bug out" kind of way. Europeein military is funny like that.

Cute round. Interesting platform. Just not something I'd choose to convince a thug that he should seek new directions in life.

Edited by Mark@Sea
clear up the PDW concept
"Penetrates Body Armor".... "Does not over-penetrate"... "Designed to tumble"...

Does not compute.

The 5.7 system was designed for non-combat troops as a personal defense round/weapon*. The weapons designed for it have really high capacity magazines for a reason. Kind of like getting pecked to death by the Bluebird of Happiness, it will put the target down, eventually, but unless a central nervous system hit is made, it will take a while. The armor piercing aspect is certainly true - for the military AP ammo, which is not (and will not be) commercially available in this country. Your selection for other ammo is pretty limited - either frangible of some type, which will have the penetration of a grape thrown at a brick wall - or solids, which will be about like punching a watermellon with an icepick. Hollowpoint, high-tech, gee-whiz rounds? Sorry, the basic physics aren't there. The only way you're gonna see significant numbers of one-shot stops with this round is if we are suddenly swarmed by lemmings. Or maybe gerbils (for the Air Force types :P ).

*not in a "this will protect me by killing the enemy troops" kind of way, more like a "this will slow them down by forcing them to find cover, so I can jump in my truck and bug out" kind of way. Europeein military is funny like that.

Cute round. Interesting platform. Just not something I'd choose to convince a thug that he should seek new directions in life.

Not to start flaming, but I would have to say your horribly wrong here. A little internet searching can bring up pleny of articles contrary to what you just stated.