carrying an FN 5 7

Guest Rem_700

Guest Rem_700

I don't know if I should have put this in the carry forum or not,but anyway!Does anyone carry an FN five seven as thier carry pistol?I just got mine yesterday and it is a tack driver and I mean a tack driver!I don't have my carry permit,but am going to enroll in the class Monday morning.This is the only pistol I have,so it will have to work for now.It is extreamly light!I think like 20 oz or something like that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pjblurton
I seen that website and their ammo,was wondering about it.Which would be the best for carry ammo?

ProtecTOR Personal Defense Cartridge would be my choice. From the Five seveN it delivers 2,400 feet per second and able to impart more than 350 foot-pounds of energy on target.

Impressive...

I've never carried one. It wouldn't be the choice for me, but I do know of a few guys who use the Five-Seven as their primary carry weapon, and they seem very comfortable with their choice.

Many would probably argue that the penetration and wound channel of the Five-Seven are not the best for real stopping power. I guess shot placement would be a bit more crucial.

I'm no expert, so take that for what it's worth.

Some people carry them but i have no idea why. A .22 just punches holes... it doesnt really have the surface area to spread its weight out and 'punch' a target with stopping power.

Guest Rem_700

It was a hard choice to make!I got it from Bass Pro in kodak and when I got to the handgun counter,I could not make my mine up at all!Once I laid my eyes on those sigs,it was almost all she wrote.Then my fiance reminded me how I have been talking about the Five Seven for the past 6 months and then I told myself,I came here for an Five Seven and Im leaveing here with a Five Seven.And I did,i stayed strong and overcame the sig's powerful siern affcet!LOL

Way to stay focused!:D While I don't have one, I do like the idea. They were designed for secret service type gigs so I can't imagine them being only .22 effective.:P I guess you do have over penetration issues, but still a fine gun IMO.

Too small for me. I'm sure it would stop a man, but:rolleyes:

Stopping Power? Sure.

bruce-lee-game-1.jpg

Stopping Power? Ohh yeah.:D

hulk.jpg

Sometimes bigger IS better.

Difference is always the same.... one is real, one is only in your imagination! Oh, you .45 guys.:P:D

Guest Astra900
Difference is always the same.... one is real, one is only in your imagination! Oh, you .45 guys.:P:D

:chill:Actually I'm .357 guy now. I've lost a lot of that "only a .45 will do" foolishness. A 9x19 is more than sufficient, but there's still a line. The 5.7 seems a bit dangerous for carry to me. It is a super round for penetration. All that velocity screams collateral damage to me. A low organ shot that misses major bone, and that sucker is going on through! If someone is behind them....:D Ehhh, no thanks.

Having said that, I only have to answer for myself, if the 5.7 "does it for you" go for it. You got twenty in your fist as opposed to 5 in my wheel:D

This may just be the "weary of the legal system" side of me talking, but I would NOT carry a 5.7. The only people that carry it (I believe) are the Capitol Police with armor piercing rounds supposedly. I don't know that for sure, but anyway...

The 5.7 is such a hyper little round your going to mostly shoot straight through someone. Most ranges won't allow it because it pierces the backstop (I know this firsthand). The 20 rd (I can hear it now) "assault style" magazine is another thing any stupid lawyer could use against you.

The only main thing for me is over-penetration, it's just not a good defense round for expansion or use on a crowded street.

There are also the issues with purely cosmetic things that shouldn't matter, but might if you had to use it. Especially if it went through and hit a civvy.

There are so many other choices like .38, .357, 9mm, .40, and .45 that are cheaper guns, have many more holster options, are less bulky, and ammo is far more cheaper and readily available I just couldn't see using it for anything more than a have fun gun.

Just my 2 bucks. (Adjusted for Obama inflation)

The 5.7 is actually designed NOT to overpenetrate when it contacts soft tissue. At that point it tumbles...quite nastily at that. As long as you hit your target over-penetration should be a non issue. The FBI tests prove that penetration is more important then size and overpenetration is an overrated issue that has no reliable data to back it up. The 5.7 is no .22 more like a smaller .223

The 5.7 is actually designed NOT to overpenetrate when it contacts soft tissue. At that point it tumbles...quite nastily at that. As long as you hit your target over-penetration should be a non issue. The FBI tests prove that penetration is more important then size and overpenetration is an overrated issue that has no reliable data to back it up. The 5.7 is no .22 more like a smaller .223

I just see a round that small and that fast tearing through. I guess it could depend on the person and what they were wearing, but I still wouldn't want to carry one.

I'm kinda old school though too.

Guest Astra900
You shouldn't be shooting a gun at anything,or anyone where a bystander is in the line of fire.

Hypothetical situation: Man grabs your wife in a parking lot, people are all around, She moves enough for a shot, you're NOT going to take it because of other people? Since when does any human have the precognitive power to see and assess that fast?

Maybe so. If you ever find the one that completes you, it's a little horrifying to know what you are willing to do to insure her safety.

I've heard people say Hell and back. I don't think Hell has any idea what I would go through to save my wife.

My username is very fitting with my personality on that issue.

Guest Astra900
I've heard people say Hell and back. I don't think Hell has any idea what I would go through to save my wife.

My username is very fitting with my personality on that issue.

Very true. No man alive(or any number of) is too good to lose his life in a situation involving my wife's safety.

Sorry, back on topic!

A guy I work with offered to sell me one of these. I didn't know much about it and he said "You can get rounds for this that will penetrate bullet proof vests." I don't know if that is true or not but I really don't want to explain to a LEO why I am carrying a gun that is designed to shoot rounds that will overcome his last line of defense! (Hold off on the telling the LEO anything bit. That's for another thread.)

Based on the articles I've read, over penetration is not likely to occur with the Five-Seven. Most statistics I've read show the penetration levels on a block of bare gelatin are roughly 7"-8". Don't get the statistics confused with the same ammo fired from a P90. Those numbers would be closer to 12".

How accurate are those numbers? I have no idea. They are just the ones I've been able to find. Maybe a real pro can chime in.

A guy I work with offered to sell me one of these. I didn't know much about it and he said "You can get rounds for this that will penetrate bullet proof vests." I don't know if that is true or not but I really don't want to explain to a LEO why I am carrying a gun that is designed to shoot rounds that will overcome his last line of defense! (Hold off on the telling the LEO anything bit. That's for another thread.)

It will (even with SS195) penetrate a lvl IIa vest no problem. However...so will an AK pistol, or AR .223 pistol :P