M&P's available w/ Thumb Safety's now...

Guest CK1

thought i'd post this since while i loved my old M&P9, the trigger being real nice actually became a liability when in a soft iwb holster w/ one in the pipe... got rid of it in favor of the SR9, and while i'm happy with my choice, i think it's a good idea that they give you an option... a m&p compact w/ a thumb safety might be in my future...

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2008/12/15/smith-and-wesson-mp-line-now-features-thumb-safeties/

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, no safety=AD/ND?

no... it's just that pistols designed w/ "safe-action" triggers are military/LE designs designed to be carried in sturdy duty holsters... while it makes no difference to me how you decide to carry...

you've probably been drinking out of cups your whole life and like most are an expert with them whether it's a cold glass of beer or a hot coffee, but i bet you've had a spill from time to time...

Guest bkelm18
no... it's just that pistols designed w/ "safe-action" triggers are military/LE designs designed to be carried in sturdy duty holsters... while it makes no difference to me how you decide to carry...

you've probably been drinking out of cups your whole life and like most are an expert with them whether it's a cold glass of beer or a hot coffee, but i bet you've had a spill from time to time...

:P I gotta hand it to ya, that made me laugh. I've never heard having an AD/ND compared to dribbling on yourself.

Whoa... thats like far out, man... :P:)

Plenty more where that came from. You should probably join my cult. Yeah, yeah, I only started one for tax reasons, but I got to admit, it's easy to get carried away once you begin amassing minions.

Guest bkelm18
Plenty more where that came from. You should probably join my cult. Yeah, yeah, I only started one for tax reasons, but I got to admit, it's easy to get carried away once you begin amassing minions.

Interesting proposition. Only if there is delicious Kool-Aid at the meetings.

Interesting proposition. Only if there is delicious Kool-Aid at the meetings.

Only at our last meeting, where we will free our astral selves from the prisons that are our bodies in order to join our lunar ancestors on the 5th plane of existence.

just posted this 'cause i think having an option is a good thing, wish all the manufacturers would offer the option.

when in my paddle holster like in a range/idpa/match scenario, i don't use the thumb safety, the trigger safety is adequate. but for me (and many others out there), when it's in my pants, inches away from the family jewels... i appreciate it.

i don't think i would have gotten rid of the gun if mine had had one.

Guest canynracer
Meh. Some people will like it. They're not for me. I'm a no safety guy. I like to push the envelope. :ugh:

+1..I love my M&P 40c and see no reason to change it..IWB Don Hume.

My gun doesnt go off, cause it doesnt leave the holster unless I WANT it to.

I think S&W is smart here...there will be the option for both safety and non safety people. The safety is easily removed if you don't like it anyway. My M&P is growing on me, and is looking like its going to become a carry gun once Bowie finishes it. Nothing wrong with my G19, but Im absolutely loving my M&P.

Guest Bronker

Didn't I read somewhere that S&W was making a compact M&P with a thumb safety?

...Wading through the wreckage that is thread derailment...

...Though I'm frightened by the thought of 'headgear'

Guest nraforlife
+1..I love my M&P 40c and see no reason to change it..IWB Don Hume.

My gun doesnt go off, cause it doesnt leave the holster unless I WANT it to.

+1. Except I carry in a 5.11 style undershirt or a Comp-Tac MTAC Minotaur

http://www.uscav.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=9831&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&cm_mmc=Google%20Base-_-Products-_-SF-_-V1

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=95

Edited by nraforlife
  • Administrator

Options are nice. Not everyone likes to drive the same kind of car, so not everyone is going to like owning the same kind (or configuration) of handgun. S&W is showing tremendous attention to consumer desire and market demand by offering this as an option. This attention to the consumer is what keeps pushing S&W further into the market space previously owned almost entirely by the likes of Glock.

I really don't care for a manual safety on a striker-fired handgun. They are quite necessary (IMO) on a 1911-style SAO handgun, so I do prefer them on those platforms. However there are people who think that the additional layer of safety is a nice thing to have and they will buy or refuse to buy a handgun due in part to the inclusion or omission of a manual safety. Whatever floats their boat, I guess.