HCP Class Information

The Tennessee Department of Safety has sent letters telling firearms instructors that "effective immediately" they are required to complete and fill out a roster that is to be faxed to the Department of Safety within 24 hours of a handgun permit certification class.

Have a look at the roster:

http://www.state.tn.us/safety/forms/HGs ... 862408.pdf

This roster collects information concerning the weapons used in the class including the owner's name and the serial number as well as the make, model and caliber of the weapon.

As I understand it, nothing in the statutes authorizes or directs the Department of Safety to collect or require this information.

Contact your legislators IMMEDIATELY!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+ 1.

I have been contacted by, or in touch with, 2 of my fellow HCP Instructors today discussing this new development.

Among the ideas being kicked around are asking the AG for an opinion on the legality of what amounts to gun registration.

Here's the part that concerns me GREATLY:

This roster collects information concerning the weapons used in the class including the owner's name and the serial number as well as the make, model and caliber of the weapon.:lol:

+ 1.

I have been contacted by, or in touch with, 2 of my fellow HCP Instructors today discussing this new development.

Among the ideas being kicked around are asking the AG for an opinion on the legality of what amounts to gun registration.

Here's the part that concerns me GREATLY:

This roster collects information concerning the weapons used in the class including the owner's name and the serial number as well as the make, model and caliber of the weapon.:lol:

Great comment . . . +11111111111111111111111111

Guest Provence

You can qualify with your sister-in law's best friend's second cousin's handgun.

The information they're asking for is not just intrusive. It's also worthless.

Every instructor needs to buy a number of cheap 22lr revolvers (half your class size). Every class has the same serial numbers.

+1 and all of us need to tell persons who take a HCP class that they need to get a handgun at the place they take the class and NOT use their own handgun

I have e-mailed the DOS and asked them why they decided to ask for this information. I went on to ask why they require and information about the handgun used, since one is not limited to the gun used as the only one they can carry.

I doubt I get any response, but if I do I'll post it.

Edited by Fallguy
Guest Rainmaker

Here's wishing I had gotten my HCP when my friend urged me to, months ago. Question from someone new to CCW; Did they always collect your name and info? Is the reporting to the DoS and recording the serial number the only new part to the equation? Maybe we can sic the NRA legal department on them.

Here's wishing I had gotten my HCP when my friend urged me to, months ago. Question from someone new to CCW; Did they always collect your name and info? Is the reporting to the DoS and recording the serial number the only new part to the equation? Maybe we can sic the NRA legal department on them.

The serial number is the new part. They have previously had all of the other info on the form.

As far as I know all but the serial number was recorded on the application when I took the carry class. I really don't see the reason for this. My wife, daughter, son and myself all qualified with the the same gun. An S&W 620. Not really a carry gun. I tried to call and ask why the new requirement but as we all know there are only recordings used when you call government. I will keep trying and will give a call to my State Rep. This may be nothing but then again? :lol:

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; WIDTH: 375pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top width=500>Here is the emial I got</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: #0e2743; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; WIDTH: 564pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top width=752><TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 100%; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in; mso-border-alt: solid #0E2743 .75pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: blue 0.75pt inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: blue 0.75pt inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: blue 0.75pt inset; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: blue 0.75pt inset"><TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 562.5pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=750 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none" vAlign=top colSpan=2>

ila_logo1.jpg

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none" vAlign=top background=http://www.nraila.org/images/nra_email_datebarbck.jpg>ILA_indx_nHead44.gif<O:p></O:p>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 216.75pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none" width=289 background=http://www.nraila.org/images/nra_email_datebarbck.jpg>

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none" vAlign=top colSpan=2>ila_backtop66.jpg

</TD></TR><!-- <font color="#ffffff" face="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif"> --><TR style="HEIGHT: 27.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: #0e2743; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; HEIGHT: 27.75pt" vAlign=bottom colSpan=2><O:p></O:p>

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none" vAlign=top><TABLE style="WIDTH: 6.25in; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=600 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: white; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top>nra_hblank.jpg

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; BACKGROUND: white; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-TOP: 0in"><TABLE style="mso-cellspacing: 1.5pt; mso-padding-alt: 1.5pt 1.5pt 1.5pt 1.5pt" cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 1.5pt; PADDING-LEFT: 1.5pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1.5pt; PADDING-TOP: 1.5pt">

Tennessee Department of Safety (TDOS) Implements

De Facto Gun Registration Scheme!

Please Stand-Up and Make Your Voices Heard!<O:p></O:p>

The Tennessee Department of Safety (TDOS) is currently sending letters to all firearms instructors requiring them to complete and return a copy of a Handgun Safety School Class Roster within 24 hours of the completion of a handgun permit certification class, “effective immediately.”

<O:p></O:p>

This new roster requires a student to provide information concerning the name of the firearm owner, the name of the student using the firearm, as well as the make, model, and serial number of firearms used. Currently, there are no statutes that authorize the TDOS to collect or require this information. Simply put, this is a backdoor, de facto gun registration scheme! Remember, registration is the first step to potential firearms confiscations.<O:p></O:p>

To view a version of the roster form, please click here.<O:p></O:p>

It is imperative that Tennessee’s law abiding gun owners stand-up and voice their opposition to this gun registration plot. Please contact the Tennessee Department of Safety and your State Legislators TODAY and respectfully let them know that you oppose the need and use of these rosters.The Tennessee Department of Safety can be reached by phone at (615) 253-5221 or toll-free at 866-849-3548. To find contact information for your State Legislators, please click here.<O:p></O:p>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Edited by DavidD