What to do with backyard critters

It seems in my absence the backyard wabbits,and squires are multiplying like wabbits.

Ive also got a stray cat or two back yonder,but I know what to do with them.

The squires are the major problem.They're getting into my attic,they're pulling the power lines off the back of the house,they're dropping their nuts on my car.

Anyhoo,what can I do with the little fellers after I keill them? Keep in mind these are city critters,and I'm not sure Id want to consume such.Are they suited for anything useful?

Oh,if anyone is wondering,Ill be getting them with something similar to this.

under_barrel_air_rifle.jpg

Actually that brings up another question.These squires are smarter then I! At the first sight of a pellet rifle,they hide,and wont come back out till I get inside the house:mad:

Is there a way around this?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The joys of BB guns. my brother and I, when he was in Tuscon, got a cheap lever/spring action BB gun and wore out the pigeons crapping all over the yard. It will take a while and they eventually come back, but I look at it as a renewable hunting/fun source!

Guest Astra900

Wish you lived closer, I'd loan you my cage trap and turn them loose in my yard. The squirrels are crazy around here since I started picking walnuts and bringing them in. :D

Guest Bronker
It seems in my absence the backyard wabbits,and squires are multiplying like wabbits.

Ive also got a stray cat or two back yonder,but I know what to do with them.

The squires are the major problem.They're getting into my attic,they're pulling the power lines off the back of the house,they're dropping their nuts on my car.

Anyhoo,what can I do with the little fellers after I keill them? Keep in mind these are city critters,and I'm not sure Id want to consume such.Are they suited for anything useful?

Oh,if anyone is wondering,Ill be getting them with something similar to this.

under_barrel_air_rifle.jpg

Actually that brings up another question.These squires are smarter then I! At the first sight of a pellet rifle,they hide,and wont come back out till I get inside the house:mad:

Is there a way around this?

Here's a blast from the past for you...

Marswolf once recommended that I try a .577 smoke pole on the squirrels around my house...I asked him if perhaps it was not really sportsman-like to pulverize their DNA down to a molecular level!?!?!

He disagreed...as usual.

RIP Soldier!

I would use a cage trap or bait and shoot them if they are that much of a nuisance. The problem with using a cage trap is that they do not die after they get trapped in. I used to trap the ones around my house when i was younger. Or you could trap and release them elsewhere but that would be too trouble some. You said that there are nuts and stuff around your yard so getting them to come wouldn't be a problem. I would wait for them patiently in the morning to come out and then pop them. Oh yeah and city squirrels are fine to eat. I've had them before :). The majority of them eat most of the same things as squirrels in the country.

Or you could trap and release them elsewhere but that would be too trouble some.

Hummm... that would make one helluva prank to catch these little buggers,and release them in a buddys car :)

You said that there are nuts and stuff around your yard so getting them to come wouldn't be a problem.

Ive got lots of nuts!

Ive actually got 14 or so pine trees in the back yard,so that means lots of pinus nuts(yes pin-us is a pine tree,get yer mind outa the gutter :P) back there for the squires to chew on.

Edited by strickj

Squirrels are stupid. As stated previously, be patient. When you see them run up a tree in a knot hole, sit down and wait. They WILL come back out in 10 to 15 minutes max. Used to get 5 or 6 squirrels out of one tree back when I enjoyed hunting the tree rats.

They sure took a beating two summers ago where I hunt though. They hardly bothered me the last two seasons as opposed to making enough noise to wake the dead previously.

Shoot them Strick, its the only way to be sure!