Kayakers

I have recently started kayaking with my son(wife goes sometimes), he is only five. Is there any apps for IPhone that will tell me the distance from point A to point B? Or, if not, is there any that will track how far we go? We put in yesterday on what I was told was a 4-6 hour float and 10 hours later I called someone to meet us at a bridge. That was too much for him. I don't want to burn him out.

Endomondo is what you are looking for. I use it for mountain biking, has a bunch of activities including kayaking. Distance is tracked through your phones GPS. 

I have used other apps but really like this one. It has free friend tracking (a paid feature in most other apps) that I use to allow my wife to see my location while I am riding if something were to happen on the trail. It also syncs with my Fitbit.

Edited by jonathon1289
  • Like 1

Check out navionics.com for their phone app.  I had it on an earlier phone and it would tell you the distance from A to B, speed, etc.  Even has water depths, etc, creek channels, etc.  Never used it on a river, but did use on some lakes in my kayak.  The speed is not 100% accurate, but will give you an accurate estimate, etc.  

I definitely didn't plan it that way. Lol. He is in his own. He stayed with it for 6 hours and then I pulled him the last 4. He loves water, kayaking, fishing etc. I'll look into those apps, it would be nice for my wife to be able to track me. 

• Like 1

A friend uses Glympse to share his location with his wife when he's out riding his motorcycle. He says it works fine. 

I've got one of the basic garmin etrex series gps units. I got it for the pretense of hiking and riding but honestly haven't used it very much.  I'm too old fashioned and like maps better. 

16 hours ago, gomer pyle said:

I definitely didn't plan it that way. Lol. He is in his own. He stayed with it for 6 hours and then I pulled him the last 4. He loves water, kayaking, fishing etc. I'll look into those apps, it would be nice for my wife to be able to track me. 

Um....maybe I've been doing it wrong, but isn't that the main purpose for finding a reason to get out of the house?:shrug:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Um....maybe I've been doing it wrong, but isn't that the main purpose for finding a reason to get out of the house?:shrug:

While I agree and we certainly give my buddy "the business" over having to use the app when he's out riding, it's different when you're out on the water with little kids.