Carrying isn't working out so great.....opinions please

Guest TNDixieGirl

Guest TNDixieGirl

I haven't found a good way to carry my gun on my person yet. In the pants, out of the pants, on the hip, etc. all feel bulky and heavy and there's no way in the world I can hide it on my person. It just feels strange and uncomfortable. I know I don't have to "conceal" it, but I plan on keeping it out of sight for my own peace of mind. I don't want an overzealous police officer jumping on me, or a criminal with a hankering for my gun trying to take it away from me.

So I'm asking for opinions on carrying in a holstered handbag. I've read some pros and cons on the subject and it seems like more folks than not don't like the idea of carrying in a handbag. But I'm beginning to think that's going to end up being the only comfortable way I can carry.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't found a good way to carry my gun on my person yet. In the pants, out of the pants, on the hip, etc. all feel bulky and heavy and there's no way in the world I can hide it on my person. It just feels strange and uncomfortable. I know I don't have to "conceal" it, but I plan on keeping it out of sight for my own peace of mind. I don't want an overzealous police officer jumping on me, or a criminal with a hankering for my gun trying to take it away from me.

So I'm asking for opinions on carrying in a holstered handbag. I've read some pros and cons on the subject and it seems like more folks than not don't like the idea of carrying in a handbag. But I'm beginning to think that's going to end up being the only comfortable way I can carry.

Having your gun with you is the most important thing at this point... And although carrying off-body is not ideal for many reasons, it would certainly be better than nothing. I have no experience carrying off-body, so I really have no suggestions in that department... I do encourage you to carry in the manner which is most effective and secure for you.

Another alternative would be to get a handgun which is lighter and more compact than your SW9VE, which is a bulky pistol. Perhaps a Kel-Tec or Kahr would suit your specific needs better?

Best of luck!

Guest TNDixieGirl

Financially, getting a different gun can't be done right now. But when I can manage it, is there a smaller more compact gun that packs the same punch as the SW9VE? I also like having the 16 round clips, so would a smaller piece be able to hold multiple rounds like this one?

Purse carry has issues since purses naturally are theft magnets. But better than not having it, as said already.

There's belly bands to try. Kramer makes an undershirt with a built in holster. Thunderwear is underwear with a built in holster (darn, imagine having every piece of clothing you own contain a holster and filling all of them with a weapon!).

As for capacity, like size it is greatly over-rated. Since the average gun fight is over in less than 5 seconds with fewer than 5 shots fired on all sides, having 16 rounds in the *magazine* seems unnecessary.

I would (and do) opt for a much smaller gun that can be brought into play faster.

Financially, getting a different gun can't be done right now. But when I can manage it, is there a smaller more compact gun that packs the same punch as the SW9VE? I also like having the 16 round clips, so would a smaller piece be able to hold multiple rounds like this one?

It's always a trade-off...

Is the hardest part of your Sigma to conceal not the grip? Reducing the grip size and weight means sacrificing capacity. Most pocket 9mms hold 6-8rd, but you will be more apt to carry it with you, instead of leaving it at home. Carry a spare magazine, and you will still have more than a dozen cartridges at your disposal.

Another option might be Smart Carry

Guest Voodoo_1

Dixie,

Visit Galco Leather's site (link below). Go to the bottom of the flag page and click on "Online Catalog". Click "Online Catalog" again on second page. On the third page look on the left side for "Womens top Picks". Many, many choices for you. Hope this helps.:up:

www.usgalco.com

Guest Phantom6

Well, if you owned one of Larry Seecamp's pistols your problem would be solved.

LWS32Keys.jpg

eyepop.gif

If I remember correctly you have a S&W Sigma series. That presents a bit of a different problem. For Sporting activity such as walking, jogging, the beach, etc. I would suggest a Tommy's Gun Pack . They come in a variety of colors and are a snappy hip pack with a surprise. They have two quick release buckles- one to release the belt from around your waist and the decoy which actually provides access to the gun compartment. My wife and I both have one and we carry everything from XD service models to J-frame snubby revolvers and Beretta Tomcats in 'em.

Neither my wife or I are big fans of "purse carry". As far as the purse itself is concerned, what do I know about a woman's needs in a purse other than it be bottomless. :up: I see it as simply a security issue where as my wife looks at it from several points of view. My wife does have one style of purse that she swears by and oddly enough, it was not specificlly made for firearms carry purposes. After studying this thing more closely from a security and safety standpoint I have to agree with her and say it's about the best that I've run into. It is made by a company called Travelon. It's a "messenger" style bag with cross shoulder carry for added security. Wifes_TravelonPurse.jpg

Her's are all black though they come in a variety of different colors and made of either leather or microfiber. Plenty of pockets inside along with a hidden zippered compartment in the back which carrys a pistol nicely and is easy to get to as it opens fully. They also come in a variety of sizes.

Many women find a crossdraw holster more comfortable to carry and draw from. It is also useful when seated in a vehicle, because you're not sitting on the gun! The gun is worn on your "weak" side, with the gun butt pointing forward.

(Note: many shooting ranges will not allow you to use a crossdraw in competition, or in class. Make sure you know the restrictions where you shoot or train!)

Make sure that there is some sort of retention device on your holster.

Spend some time on the internet looking at mfgrs. to see if they make a holster for your pistol. I know that Safariland makes concealment holsters for the S&W Sigmas. Here is their "will fit chart". It's in .PDF form. Scroll down to page five on the .PDF. Then, spend some time on the phone and see if you can find a shop that carries the holster(s) you have found on the net that you think you may like to try. Take your pistol down there and try 'em out.

Good luck. Hope ya find what you are looking for.

Guest Hyaloid
But then again, Tungsten, if a creep restrains your hands and you are wearing on your hip, you are still screwed. That is a flawed argument, your other points are very valid though.

Not if it's a GLOCK, you just roll to the side and wait for the AD.

:up:

To keep it on topic, I will second the "Gotta have a good GUN belt" mantra, can make all the difference in the world. Secondly, a pistol that is "designed" for CC will make a huge difference too, others have mentioned some fine choices.

• Administrator
But then again, Tungsten, if a creep restrains your hands and you are wearing on your hip, you are still screwed. That is a flawed argument, your other points are very valid though.

If a creep restrains your hands, you can fight with him and try to wrestle at least one hand free. That's also why I advocate carrying with a live round in the chamber. If you're in a fight for your life, will you really have time AND the faculties available to you to rack the slide?

If a creep grabs a lady's purse and her gun is in that purse... even if it's still attached cross-body like a messenger bag by the strap... who has control of the gun? The rightful owner or the thug who has the purse in his hands, tugging and dragging with it?

That's why I say if the gun is in the purse and the creep has your hands preoccupied... you're screwed. I'd rather the gun be on my person so that as soon as I could get a hand free, I could grab for it rather than having to THEN try to grab for my purse and re-engage that particular aspect of the physical struggle.

I stand by my original statement. :up:

As has been mentioned, you aren't likely to need too many rounds in a self-protection situation. I conceal carry either a P7M8, with 8 rounds in the magazine or a P3AT with six. Add one more for the round always in the chamber. If I'm in an area that might need more shots, I carry one or more spare magazines. Remember, cops got by for a long time with only five or six rounds in the cylinder.

However, that's for a future purchase.

Concealed carry for women can be more of a challenge. As men get dressed up, the number of carry options increases. For women, that is generally the opposite.

That is a very good point, Mars. As we men get dressed up we add layers to our wardrobe. Typically it starts with slacks and a shirt, then add a jacket. You now have IWB/OWB/Shoulder/SMB/Cross Draw options. When women get dressed up they go from Jeans and a Shirt to the "little black dress" with a shawl and a clutch (don't ask, I have a wife that is a clothes horse.) That severly limits what a woman can carry I would imagine a P3AT in a thigh holster (a la James Bond Girl) would be about the only option under those circumstances.

Dixie, the long and short of it is, a good holster with a good belt and maybe wearing an "over" shirt is a good option. I realize that summer is storming in on us fast and that it gets awfully hot to wear that many clothes, but then again, there is the option of getting an IWB holster and buying a couple of pairs of shorts in the next size up in order to accomodate a large frame hand gun and wearing a polo type shirt untucked in order to conceal properly.

The best way to find out is to try many different methods until you find the one that is right for you.

My main suggestion is once you pick the place on your person to carry, try to stick with that one place. Muscle memory and instinct will be your friend if you get in to a situation where you actually need to draw your weapon. You don't want to have to think about which holster/clothes you have on today as to where your weapon is.

Guest macho999

My grandma carries in her purse, but she's one of those ladies that have the gigantic purse. She's got a hammer, screwdriver, 1500 pill bottles, rolled up phonebook, and all kinds of junk in there. I think the purse itself is probably a more useful weapon than the .38 needle she's got down in that haystack.

She just celebrated her 79th birthday for the 3rd time and she's still meaner than heck. I wouldn't mess with her. And if she ever finds out about this post I'll post a followup from intensive care.

My grandma carries in her purse, but she's one of those ladies that have the gigantic purse. She's got a hammer, screwdriver, 1500 pill bottles, rolled up phonebook, and all kinds of junk in there. I think the purse itself is probably a more useful weapon than the .38 needle she's got down in that haystack.

She just celebrated her 79th birthday for the 3rd time and she's still meaner than heck. I wouldn't mess with her. And if she ever finds out about this post I'll post a followup from intensive care.

why macho, don't you love your grandma? :up:

she sounds like my deceased mother...a wonderful woman..but with a very low tolerance for B.S.

Guest Phantom6
Check out this thread on another forum. It is female specific and address a lot of the issues unique to women packing http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25430

Wanted to read that and show it to my wife but you can't get on without name, serial number, mother's maiden name, place of birth, father's name and date of birth, password and a secret handshake!

Aw, I'm done bitchin'. It's been one of those days but ... I feel much better now. :P

Guess I'll have to go register

Marswolf, I can't believe you brought up ... Thunderwear! :up:

Don't you know that folks have been hurt by that stuff? Even if a ND (or burn) in the shorts hasn't happened to but a few, I bet they'd all agree with me that putting a holster in your crotch is about the last place you should put one and then only if you are so deep undercover that the only other option would be up your whoopsidaisy as the Roaming Gnome once said.

Thunderwear indeed :up::lol:

Guest Tommy Ferguson Jr.

Smartcarry. My wife likes ankle holster (Glock 27). I've beencarrying in a man purse a lot lately because of knee surgery (crutches make normal carry difficult). Keep researching - don't stop carrying. Women have different issues than men (hips, shorter torsos, etc). I sympathize but can't offer any other specifics.

, I bet they'd all agree with me that putting a holster in your crotch is about the last place you should put one and then only if you are so deep undercover that the only other option would be up your whoopsidaisy as the Roaming Gnome once said.

Thunderwear indeed :up::lol:

yah but it would be a GREAT way for her to get them to stop moving so she could shoot them!:up:

I know that was sexist Dixie, but I just couldn't resist...you're welcome to club me when we meet :P.

or tell Julie on me..hahahah she's gonna KILL me when she reads this post!

Wanted to read that and show it to my wife but you can't get on without name, serial number, mother's maiden name, place of birth, father's name and date of birth, password and a secret handshake!

I did register to read it. Just make up lies for the info and keep a junk email address. I use Gmail and never check it. Didn't learn much, but it was nice to suggest it.

I despise forums that make you register to read their piddly posts. Roboform (great application) saved the user name and password, but Ccleaner will get rid of the cookie. Who knows, I may quit being mad at them for the registration hassle and look at their site some month when nothing is happening. :mad:

Marswolf, I can't believe you brought up ... Thunderwear! :up:

Don't you know that folks have been hurt by that stuff? Even if a ND (or burn) in the shorts hasn't happened to but a few, I bet they'd all agree with me that putting a holster in your crotch is about the last place you should put one and then only if you are so deep undercover that the only other option would be up your whoopsidaisy as the Roaming Gnome once said.

Thunderwear indeed :P:lol:

Aw come on Phantom...Thunderwear has its place. I certainly wouldn't carry a Glock there, but then I wouldn't carry a Glock anywhere except in a duty holster if I could wear hand, arm, leg and butt armor. :D

But a little DA pistol would be fine keeping company with your privates. Keeping a larger gun there gives the girls at the burgerdoodle drive-thru window something to talk about and might lead to more dates. :up:

Guest TNDixieGirl

Oh I'm not easily offended so none of the remarks bothered me at all. I found most to be either helpful, or humorous.

Well I went back to the range last night and talked with an instructor/owner for over an hour and tried different carry methods, but when it all boiled down to it, I walked out of there with a holstered handbag. All day long the bag is under my desk right at my feet, and in the car it's right beside me within arms reach. My commute to work was my main reason for getting the carry permit/gun because it's just a real bad part of Memphis. And in an office of about 20 men, 15 of them carry so it's not like I don't have protection should we need it when I'm inside. It's the ride alone through certain parts of the city that bothered me.

So, for now, I'm going to try the handbag method and see how it works. I truly appreciate all suggestions, opinions and off color jokes. LOL :up: