Unable to log in on tapatalk

• Administrator

Astute observation.   Here's the ugly details...

I had disabled it for some troubleshooting and forgot that I did.  So I re-enabled it this evening and the server immediately went to its knees.  I'm talking CPU load out the ceiling.

I am assuming that maybe everyone who uses Tapatalk was suddenly getting a boatload of content updates delivered to their phones at once, so I am going to wait until much later tonight to try and turn it on again to see if it was an anomaly.  If it was, awesome, I'll leave it on.  But if it brings the server down like that again, I am going to turn it back off and leave it off.

Yeah, I know there are some folks who swear they will stop visiting if they can't do it from Tapatalk.  That's sadly a risk I will have to take if Tapatalk is what has been murdering the server.  We can't tolerate that.  I removed it once before for similar reasons but thought all of that had been resolved.  I'm hoping this was a fluke, but if not... it is what it is.

• Administrator

I've had it with Tapatalk!!!

Three hours spent tonight trying to pull the server back under control while that piece of #### software was hammering the CPU.  I've completely deleted it from the server at this point.

I really hope that those of you who rely on it so heavily will just give the native IPBoard mobile skin a try.  As much as I hate to lose a few members over Tapatalk, I can't lose the whole forum because of it.  Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, ggwilde said:

I bailed on Tapatalk a while back.  I really like the mobile version of most forums I visit. And the last round of tweaks has really increased the speed of TGO.  :clap:

You're visiting at the right times because sadly there have been quite a few times lately where despite all of the efforts I've made to speed it up and keep it stable, things were anything but.  I am still working on it very diligently.

27 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I've had it with Tapatalk!!!

Three hours spent tonight trying to pull the server back under control while that piece of #### software was hammering the CPU.  ....

I saw that, and happened to screen grab thinking I might need to report,  just because the notices were different from your normal "working on it" notices, went through 3 stages:

TGO-503.thumb.gif.9075f0d5bf6e27a4e0a75f30833de7b7.gif

TGO-503-2.thumb.gif.3650bb2778c9ad20666ad80e78d55f55.gif

TGO-503-3.thumb.gif.0b533dcf1cd446ec9b71e9ec90c708d6.gif

- OS

• Administrator
2 hours ago, nightrunner said:

As good as the mobile theme is for TGO, the only legitimate reason I can see for using Tapatalk is what I saw someone mention is that TGO is blocked at their work but they can still access through Tapatalk.

That would make sense on a tablet that only connects by wifi, but a person using a phone or a tablet with a radio for a wireless carrier would only need to drop off of their company wifi and hit the wireless signal in order to get to TGO. 

29 minutes ago, TGO David said:

That would make sense on a tablet that only connects by wifi, but a person using a phone or a tablet with a radio for a wireless carrier would only need to drop off of their company wifi and hit the wireless signal in order to get to TGO. 

I didn't even think about that (not super tech savvy), so assumed it was on a work PC. But don't know if tapatalk is even on PCs.

So, I am all for the sane-ness of our leader in this endeavor.  I hate that it's gone, though.  Maybe TT will get their #### together one of these days.  The reason I like TT is that it centralizes the forums that I participate, and places them in one app on my mobile screen.  Yes, I can make a shortcut and all that, but it's a good user interface.  I'm not a "live or die" with the forum and TT, but I sure wish it would work just plug-and-play like it's supposed to.  

• Like 2

I switched to the mobile skin for browsing(mobile skin is great) but still liked TT.  It is by far the easiest way to upload photos to the forum from your phone.  Hopefully they get the act together and we can use it in the future.  

I definitely use Tapatalk a lot but I won't stop coming if we don't have it available.

It is nice to have 15 or more forums all in one location all looking the same. I don't see anything about a mobile skin with chrome on my phone, just a default and TGO Darker available. I am sure I am missing something?