Any Experience with ROKU?

Guest semiautots

Guest semiautots

Thinking of dumping satellite for ROKU.  Does anyone have any experience with it?  Is it a lot cheaper? 

Thanks for your help!

Discussed pretty in depth in these 2 threads

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/68370-anybody-use-a-roku-or-other-streaming-device/?hl=apple

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/75059-finally-cutting-the-cable-cord/?hl=apple

I've swapped all of our family over to either Roku or Apple TVs for television content for several years now, Chromecast is getting better and better by the day but it's downfall IMHO is not having a dedicated remote. 

BTW- as much as I love my Apple TVs I have suggested that everyone who doesn't already have a vested interest in iTunes content try roku first since it is a much better platform ATM since it doesn't tie you to a single content source. The other thing to remember with all these set top streaming boxes is that what's great today can be lagging behind or totally awesome tomorrow since they can dramatically change overnight with content deals and software updates.

Edited by 2.ooohhh
I love roku get netflix for under 10 bucks a month there's plenty to watch. It's a great deal and the box works well. I had a broadband card and roku. Got comcrap back cause I had other stuff that needed that broadband. Enjoyed cutting off AT&T at the same time saving money. Don't know about google box or Apple TV , got everything I need w roku except current cable programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
Got one almost a year ago, its great. You'll need Netflix or some other service to really watch anything. Wish it natively connected to YouTube but you can ways Plex what you want to see. I only have 3meg internet so I have mine set for SD quality, but it looks fine to me. If you search around you can find trials of various services. I used a 2 month trial for huluplus then decided netflix work better for me.

We have a Roku 3, Netflix, and Hulu+ running on the standard speed Comcast Internet (but use high end modem & wireless router).  Dumped all Comcast TV.

It works great, and saves us about $100/month over the old bill.

We use a separate patch antenna for local HDTV TV

Edited by R_Bert

I bought a Roku1 in January and dropped subscription television about 10 days ago.  I'm at a point in my life where I want my tech simple and easy to use (I now understand those of my parent's generation who never figured out how to set the clock much less record on their VCR).  Roku is virtually plug and play.  You probably should check out the different Roku models.  The Roku 1 is I believe the most basic one commonly sold and the cheapest and it works fine for us.  I'd say if you were in an apartment complex or for other reasons had a lot of other "waves" flying through your space (e.g., 4 baby monitors for your quintuplets) you might be better served with one of the pricier models.

You can save quite a bit of money.  We researched the shows we recorded on our DVR on http://www.canistream.it/ and found out that between OTA and a few services (principally Hulu+ although we also have Netflix and Amazon Prime) we could get about 80-90% of what we watched for about 20-25% of what we were paying(excluding recoupment of initial set up costs for antennas and streaming devices).  For comparison, we have 4 televisions (in a 2 person household sickeningly enough) and with subscription television you typically pay additional charges for additional sets.   

As always, YMMV.

• Like 1

If u want local tv u need. Digital box w antenna is under 50 bucks at walmart

For local OTA TV the best option is still an Antenna. (the converter is only needed for older non digital televisions)

http://www.antennaweb.org/ is the best resource to figure out what channels you can likely pick up in your location with different antennas.

If you are way out there and only want the major network shows Hulu+ will fill in for around 70%-80% of the content available OTA in Nashville. If you want live news or sports from the fringes of the broadcast area you'll have to get a big antennae pointed in the proper direction at a decent elevation.

My wife has suggested we dump cable. We currently have an RCA set top streamer that does Netflix, etc... on the bedroom TV. I have an XBOX on the main TV that streams anything.

After the SOA finale later this year, I may go that route.

Oh c'mon u don't want to miss bates motel or honey doo doo do ya ? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

My wife has suggested we dump cable. We currently have an RCA set top streamer that does Netflix, etc... on the bedroom TV. I have an XBOX on the main TV that streams anything. 

After the SOA finale later this year, I may go that route.

I'm pretty sure you can stream new SOA episodes on Amazon for ~$2-3 an episode (i.e. ~$26-39 for a 13 episode season).  Maybe pretty small price to pay versus another ~8 months of cable.  Just saying :stare:    

• Like 1

I have Comcast and I have cable simply because there is no discount for not having cable.  That said I watch the majority of TV via streaming.  I personally use Chromecast only because I had one given to me.  I've used Roku before and I like them.  The Chromecast seems finicky in regards to actually working.  I had to update the firmware of my router to get it to work, and I usually have to reset the router to get it to work, but not more than once per day.  As previously mentioned the Chromecast does not have a remote but must be operated from a computer, smartphone, or tablet.  This doesn't seem to be much of an issue as my computer is right next to me when I am watching TV, or you can use a device such as an old smartphone that you no longer otherwise use as a dedicated remote.  But for $35 it's hard to beat.  

I've been a Netflix subscriber for years but they are getting the axe.  The last 5 movies I've tried to watch have not been available to stream.  Basically they don't have jack for movies.  I did just purchase an Amazon Prime membership so I can still steam stuff, even though the Prime selection is lacking as well.  At least with Prime I get free 2 day shipping on Amazon purchases (So long as the seller does not opt out) and my wife gets a free rental book on her Kindle each month. 

EDIT:  Chromecast will not work with Amazon Prime, I know that Roku will, I may be picking up a Roku now.

Edited by 10-Ring

I have Comcast and I have cable simply because there is no discount for not having cable.  That said I watch the majority of TV via streaming.  I personally use Chromecast only because I had one given to me.  I've used Roku before and I like them.  The Chromecast seems finicky in regards to actually working.  I had to update the firmware of my router to get it to work, and I usually have to reset the router to get it to work, but not more than once per day.  As previously mentioned the Chromecast does not have a remote but must be operated from a computer, smartphone, or tablet.  This doesn't seem to be much of an issue as my computer is right next to me when I am watching TV, or you can use a device such as an old smartphone that you no longer otherwise use as a dedicated remote.  But for $35 it's hard to beat.  

I've been a Netflix subscriber for years but they are getting the axe.  The last 5 movies I've tried to watch have not been available to stream.  Basically they don't have jack for movies.  I did just purchase an Amazon Prime membership so I can still steam stuff, even though the Prime selection is lacking as well.  At least with Prime I get free 2 day shipping on Amazon purchases (So long as the seller does not opt out) and my wife gets a free rental book on her Kindle each month. 

While you say that there is no "discount" for not having cable look closer at your next bill. I assure you that you are absolutely paying additional taxes, franchise fees, ect. that are not charged to internet only accounts. When I left Comcast cable for internet only I think I saved an additional $5 a month in taxes and fees applied specifically to the TV portion of the bill. It doesn't seem like much but over the course of a single year it will pay for an entry level roku. (Fees do vary by location with the local FCC franchise contract, so YMMV)

That said I prefer to pay for quality via itunes or amazon. Screw ratings, I see purchasing content as directly voting with my wallet for what I want to see more of! When you pay for cable(whether watching it or not), you are helping to subsidize EVERYTHING you don't watch.

Introduction

Here's a list of the common fees on your Comcast bill, along with an explanation of each.

Regulatory Recovery Fee

These monthly component fees are based on access line, subscriber or usage. They help defray the costs of complying with state regulations (such as telecom relay services for the visually/hearing impaired).

Universal Connectivity Charge (or Federal Universal Service Fund)

This fee is a percentage of interstate and international revenues. It supports a federal fund that ensures the availability of affordable communications services to low income and rural customers (as well as eligible schools, libraries and health care providers).

State and Local 911 Tax

This monthly tax is tallied by access line, telephone number, account, or usage. It helps states and localities fund the 911 and E911 systems, along with other emergency services.

Federal Excise Tax

This 3% tax is imposed by the federal government.

State and Local Sales Tax

This tax is owed to the state or local government by subscribers.

Gross Receipts Taxes; State and Local Utility Taxes

These taxes are levied on service providers; the cost is passed on to subscribers.

State Communications Services Tax

We collect this money on behalf of the state.

Local Communications Services Tax

The rate for this tax varies; we collect it on behalf of the state.

Source

Edited by 2.ooohhh

At least with Prime I get free 2 day shipping on Amazon purchases (So long as the seller does not opt out) and my wife gets a free rental book on her Kindle each month. 

At the risk of taking the thread off topic, you still have to watch out on the "free" shipping.  Seems like particularly with small ticket items they bump up the price to offset the shipping in case you only order that item (e.g., the item that sells for ~$5-6 bucks at most other e-tailers (albeit generally with shipping costs of their own) is ~$11-12 with Amazon Prime). 

I got rid of cable, got an antenna in the attic, and got Roku to watch the three cable shows that I still cared about:  Walking Dead, Falling Skies, and Sons of Anarchy.  In the last year the whole family has started watching Doctor Who, which I'm not sure if we could have watched that with our previous cable service.  Walking Dead is the only show that I regret not being able to watch on the day it is aired.  I have to stay off the Internet until I watch the latest episode.  

We have Amazon Prime currently, but I'm not sure if I want to pay $99 when it comes time to renew.

I'm pretty sure you can stream new SOA episodes on Amazon for ~$2-3 an episode (i.e. ~$26-39 for a 13 episode season).  Maybe pretty small price to pay versus another ~8 months of cable.  Just saying :stare:    

My wife made the exact same argument, and it is a good one. However I am stubborn old bastard. I have caught every episode of SOA on the first airing for the last six seasons. I don't see a point to ruining a good thing now. My understanding is that Amazon and iTunes run a day or two behind. So far SOA is the only show that I can't wait to watch on DVR. And with the last season coming, and half a dozen Sons left to die, I want to see it as it happens.

My wife made the exact same argument, and it is a good one. However I am stubborn old bastard. I have caught every episode of SOA on the first airing for the last six seasons. I don't see a point to ruining a good thing now. My understanding is that Amazon and iTunes run a day or two behind. So far SOA is the only show that I can't wait to watch on DVR. And with the last season coming, and half a dozen Sons left to die, I want to see it as it happens.

So your wife made a cogent argument based upon logic and you countered with an emotional response based upon your need to watch our favorite male soap opera in real time?     :stir: