Obama Administration Bans Import of Izhmash & Kalashnikov (Saiga) Firearms

The American manufacturers are running at full capacity, building new plants and adding lines just to satisfy domestic consumption.  My conversations with a few of them is that it will take at least 10 years to fully upgrade.  Their business models have to take into consideration is this a blip or will ammo be a "hot cakes" item indefinitely.  New factory set up is really expensive.  I know, I build them.

I've only seen video clips of ammo being manufactured so I really don't know what it takes on an industrial scale to produce millions of cartridges, but ten years seems like a long time. I'll take your word for it since you do have the experience. I'm sure investors see it as a gamble to spend the $$ right now.

The Great TGO Rapture of 2014 made a believer out of me. Besides that, I really enjoy how much more civil everyone has been since that day. :)

I got real busy and wasn't on here regularly for a few months and then noticed that several members are....uh, missing.
  • Like 2

I've only seen video clips of ammo being manufactured so I really don't know what it takes on an industrial scale to produce millions of cartridges, but ten years seems like a long time. I'll take your word for it since you do have the experience. I'm sure investors see it as a gamble to spend the $$ right now.

Engineering for the equipment and flow of materials from raw to finished goods takes a while, then, design of the actual equipment is another step (some of the stuff in East Alton was put into production before the "Big War") they don't tend to move things that are embedded in concrete and covered in years and years of grease and dust, new plants require new equipment.

Get the lines designed, then you have to purchase land, deal with the EPA for at least two years permit wise, add in finding a location big enough to manage the plant and trucking requirements.  There will be site searches and feasibility studies, conversations with local authorities regarding local regs., schools systems, vehicle count impact studies.  The word gets, paid for shysters start hounding the companies to offer incentives, minimum 3 sites will be picked and the studies get repeated for specific locations.  Labor force impact is another major issue, is the local person available smart enough no to blow the place up, will the education systems work to train prospective employees?

Internal discussions and politics then enter after the choices of possibilities are narrowed down.  I have seen from drawing board initiation to dozers take 6 years easily with an environmentally, much less politically sensitive factory.  Then you have to bid out, pick a GC and get it put up.

New lines require (especially for this type of product) extensive commissioning, after the contractors and equipment setters are gone, I would add in at leas 6 months for shake down before full production.

I can put up a 2 million sq. ft. box for Distribution in a year from start to finish, this is a whole 'nuther help line!

I understand the views of gun owners, but I don't dislike Obama so much that I don't support him sanctioning a perceived enemy of this country.

I could understand where you were coming from if what Obama is doing was actually what he professes it to be. He's actually just banning products from one set of oligarchs who are not his boon buddies. Said oligarchs will sell their inventory to other oligarchs who ARE boon buddies of Obama, who will change the name of the company, and proceed as before. Expect a price rise and a burp in supply and carry on.

• Like 3

Engineering for the equipment and flow of materials from raw to finished goods takes a while, then, design of the actual equipment is another step (some of the stuff in East Alton was put into production before the "Big War") they don't tend to move things that are embedded in concrete and covered in years and years of grease and dust, new plants require new equipment.

Get the lines designed, then you have to purchase land, deal with the EPA for at least two years permit wise, add in finding a location big enough to manage the plant and trucking requirements.  There will be site searches and feasibility studies, conversations with local authorities regarding local regs., schools systems, vehicle count impact studies.  The word gets, paid for shysters start hounding the companies to offer incentives, minimum 3 sites will be picked and the studies get repeated for specific locations.  Labor force impact is another major issue, is the local person available smart enough no to blow the place up, will the education systems work to train prospective employees?

Internal discussions and politics then enter after the choices of possibilities are narrowed down.  I have seen from drawing board initiation to dozers take 6 years easily with an environmentally, much less politically sensitive factory.  Then you have to bid out, pick a GC and get it put up.

New lines require (especially for this type of product) extensive commissioning, after the contractors and equipment setters are gone, I would add in at leas 6 months for shake down before full production.

I can put up a 2 million sq. ft. box for Distribution in a year from start to finish, this is a whole 'nuther help line!

In other words, our best bet right now is importers buying from Non-Russian companies who currently make 7.62x39. Anyway I found this on the Fox News site. I'm definatly holding on to my MAK90 and my ammo right now.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2014/07/21/gun-buyers-scoop-up-ak-47-rifles-after-new-sanctions/?intcmp=obnetwork

I may not be the most interesting man in the world but I did order a M70 AB2 the other day ..... Always wanted an under folder .....

Yes , I know it's a Yugo .....

I recently bought a Yugo as well.

The prices on ALL AK pattern rifles, regardless of where they are made, is going to go up. At some point the Russian AKs are going to dry up and that is going to affect demand for all types because some do not care where their AK comes from and without the supply of Russian weapons the demand is going to go up for all types. The only way that will not happen is if another country steps up almost immediately and is able to produce, and import, as many AKs as the Russians did. There is probably only one country capable of doing it and their weapons were banned from import by Clinton AND Bush Jr. Which brings me to another thing.

These sanctions, even though they are supposedly temporary, will be in place forever. Look back at the ban on Chinese made guns and ammunition from two decades ago. It was not lifted even though we trade almost everything else with them. So no matter what happens with Russia the ban on the importation of their firearms will never lifted. It looks like it might affect other firearms, like bolt actions and rimfires, that are imported through the banned company.

• Like 1

Yep, this is not about "sanctions", but rather just furthering an agenda. If they wanted to impose real sanctions they would have stopped the import of Russian Vodka.

They also need to "immediatly" cancel any more American astronaunts from going to the space station, somehow get any Americans home from the space station. It's a national embarrassment that we don't have a current vehicle to go and come back from space, they could go to the Smithsonian and retrieve an old Apollo capsule from the early 70s when we had the technology to make trips to space on our own and bring them back, they seem to be reliable.

• Like 2

Yep, this is not about "sanctions", but rather just furthering an agenda. If they wanted to impose real sanctions they would have stopped the import of Russian Vodka.

my boss stopped selling their crap months ago,

The best vodka in the world comes from Austin Texas

• Like 1