Non lethal defence for wife

Guest TNK

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have sent an e-mail to a state Rep that has helped me in the past with laws and even obtaining AG opinions. I will post in a new thread his response. But to me "any person" simply means "any person"

FWIW Here is the e-mail I got back...

Following is the response we received from a member of our legislative legal staff in response to your inquiry. I hope this information is helpful. ...Steve McD

To me it is clear that you do NOT have to be a law enforcement officer to carry a baton if you are trained under § 39-17-1308(a)(9). Law enforcement officer is not even used in that provision. Rather, as Mr. Fall points out, it says "By any person". I know the company that did my handgun training course for a permit also did baton training and I don't recall any mention of it being limited to law enforcement officers or security guards. So, in my opinion, it clearly applies to any person who has had the proper training and, the language itself, does not require that it be the same kind of baton with which you trained. Although if it was a kind you had not trained with, that may be a problem for the reason discussed in the next paragraph.

All § 39-17-1308(a)(9) does is give the person a defense to the criminal charge of unlawful carrying or possessing of a weapon under § 39-17-1307. It is not nearly the same as a handgun carry permit. It means that if you are charged with that offense, you can raise as a defense that you had this baton training. It is not an absolute defense as the jury may not believe you took the correct kind of training or that you were not prohibited from purchasing a firearm. So it is not like the permit in that if you have one you have been licensed to carry by the state. Rather it is just something you can raise if you are charged with unlawfully carrying a firearm. It may or may not keep you from getting arrested and charged and having to get a lawyer and make bail and miss work time. So a defense to a crime is not nearly as safe as having a license to engage in that conduct.

FWIW Here is the e-mail I got back...
All § 39-17-1308(a)(9) does is give the person a defense to the criminal charge of unlawful carrying or possessing of a weapon under § 39-17-1307. It is not nearly the same as a handgun carry permit. It means that if you are charged with that offense, you can raise as a defense that you had this baton training. It is not an absolute defense as the jury may not believe you took the correct kind of training or that you were not prohibited from purchasing a firearm. So it is not like the permit in that if you have one you have been licensed to carry by the state. Rather it is just something you can raise if you are charged with unlawfully carrying a firearm. It may or may not keep you from getting arrested and charged and having to get a lawyer and make bail and miss work time. So a defense to a crime is not nearly as safe as having a license to engage in that conduct.

That sums up what I said earlier about it only being a defense and that is what my Instructor pointed out to me. So kinda in the middle ultimately. I guess it depends on who the Officer is when you get popped carrying one around.

That sums up what I said earlier about it only being a defense and that is what my Instructor pointed out to me. So kinda in the middle ultimately. I guess it depends on who the Officer is when you get popped carrying one around.

I can completely agree with that.

Guest db99wj
AWW! It's ok. I'm skinny, you're short, it make a the world go round.

Put us together and I can slip through cracks while you headbutt people in the nads!

Allright there kung fu panda.

Quote:

Following is the response we received from a member of our legislative legal staff in response to your inquiry. I hope this information is helpful. ...Steve McD

To me it is clear that you do NOT have to be a law enforcement officer to carry a baton if you are trained under § 39-17-1308(a)(9). Law enforcement officer is not even used in that provision. Rather, as Mr. Fall points out, it says "By any person". I know the company that did my handgun training course for a permit also did baton training and I don't recall any mention of it being limited to law enforcement officers or security guards. So, in my opinion, it clearly applies to any person who has had the proper training and, the language itself, does not require that it be the same kind of baton with which you trained. Although if it was a kind you had not trained with, that may be a problem for the reason discussed in the next paragraph.

The staff guy did a pretty good job until he indicated that a jury "may not believe you took the correct kind of training". The law clearly states:

"who holds a certificate that the person has had training in the use of a club or baton for self-defense that is valid and issued by a certified person authorized to give training in the use of clubs or batons..."

Once you affimatively prove the above the jury would not be permitted to deliberate whether you took the correct kind of training.

But you haven't really proved it one way or the other till the jury rules....right?

I think what he meant is like if you took training from a trainer for type/brand A baton, but you actually had type/brand B baton. Even if types A and B were practically the same thing... A DA wanting to push the issue might convince a jury that you didn't meat the training requirement.

Guest ProguninTN
But you haven't really proved it one way or the other till the jury rules....right?

I think what he meant is like if you took training from a trainer for type/brand A baton, but you actually had type/brand B baton. Even if types A and B were practically the same thing... A DA wanting to push the issue might convince a jury that you didn't meat the training requirement.

To back up Fallguy, I am baton certified. I was trained in the use of straight and expandable batons. My class did not cover the use of side-handle type batons, such as the Monadnock PR-24. A DA could bring that up that fact if I'm in a situation and I use a side-handle style baton.

• 1 month later...
Guest DoDFire

Been wanting to get something for the wife,,,,Thanks for the info, I'm going tomorrow to purchase the kimber spray if they have it on the shelf.

Guest DoDFire
Where here in Ktown?

- OS

W.D Sporting Goods on Alcoa Hwy. is the nearest store according to Kimbers web site. If they don't have it I'll go to the next store which appears to be Coal Creek. If none of them have it I guess I'll order from Cabelas.