Good Article: Ruger SP 101

Luckyforward

One of my carry firearms is the Ruger SP 101, a valued firearm that does not always seem to merit its own amount of credit. Below is an excellent article on this fine handgun.

Enjoy!

SP101®—Like Physics 101, Only Practical

A reliable offering from Ruger

• Paul Laska
  • 2009 Jan 9

You remember Physics 101—physics, the building blocks of all science, 101 being the entry, dummy level course. It shows you the wonder of physics, but not in depth enough to be practical. You know it describes ballistics, but not so you can apply it. It explains light and color, but what parts of the spectrum are involved in laser fingerprint processing remain a mystery.

If you know Ruger revolvers, you already know they are like building blocks—strong and dependable. Whether the Vaquero series so popular with cowboy shooters, Blackhawks that can handle the strongest loads a hunter can feed them, or their double action revolvers that were often found in many a cop's holster, Ruger builds them to work. The SP101®, Ruger's small frame, five shot concealable revolver is no exception.

Ruger's stainless steel metallurgy is legendary. In the latter 1970s some medium frame revolvers, chambered for the .357 magnum, experienced erosion of the top strap by the mouth of the barrel. Not Ruger, whose Speed Six, Police Service Six, and Security Six models devoured full load .357s without complaint. In 1988 the SP101® debuted—sized very close to the S&W J-frames which had long commanded the small frame market, but using a variation on the already well proven Ruger double action system.

Initially the SP101® was offered as a .38 Special, 2 ¼" barrel revolver. In the ensuing 20 years the offerings have expanded to include .357 Magnum, .32 H&R Magnum, and the new .327 Federal Magnum, in barrel lengths of 2 ¼", 3 1/16", and 4", while the Ruger web site no longer lists .38 Special as an offering. In .357 Magnum 2 ¼" model, Ruger offers the SP101® with a traditional spurred hammer and a spurless, DAO hammer. They also offer the short .357 model with the standard Ruger combination rubber and plastic grips, and the Crimson Trace Lasergrips®.

The drop of the .38 Special offering does not cause a serious problem. The cylinder of a .357 Mag. is only 0.10" longer than that of the .38 Spl., and the .38 Spl. will chamber in the .357 Magnum. I find the .357 Magnum inefficient in a short barrel revolver—most loads are designed for four inch or longer barrels, and thus the effective power will be the same as that of a .38 Spl. +P. Also, the power of a full load .357 Magnum in a small frame revolver can be brutal, especially for less-than-active shooters, or small framed individuals. However, it is a useful option, especially for the individual whose carry habits may take the revolver from the city streets into the backwoods or on the waters where select .357 Magnum power may be needed in an encounter with dangerous game. As the urban interface results in more attacks on humans by cougars, feral dogs, wild hogs, and here in Florida alligators, having a more powerful load may be an important defense tool.

The SP101® for this evaluation is a .38 Spl. model which has been a companion since the early 1990s. It has been carried on duty, for back-up, off-duty, and in retirement as a concealed carry handgun. Its only modifications have been to paint the front sight to make acquisition faster, and changing the factory grips for wood Hogue grips, which I found to work better when worn on the ankle, not grabbing the pants leg and possibly flashing its presence.

Ruger double action revolvers have never been known for target slick actions, although some qualified gunsmiths are able to smooth them out. The mechanics of the Ruger action are not designed to be smooth; they are designed to be strong and dependable. A working firearm makes different demands from a target one; the SP101®, likes its fellow Ruger double action revolvers, is designed from ground up as a working handgun, for use by the law officer or civilian whose life may depend upon a quality tool.

The SP101® uses the same speed loaders as do S&W J-frame .38/.357 revolvers, making feeding it a simple matter. Unlike some revolvers for which speed loaders are not available, or take some searching to find, the J-frame speed loaders are everywhere. In the case of my SP101®, the Hogue grips do slightly interfere with speed loader use, as the thumb swell scrapes the body of the HKS speed loader. Not a problem with the factory grips, which lack the swell.

When choosing a holster for the SP101®, some care must be taken. The revolver is very close in size to the 2" S&W J-frame series, close enough that most leather holsters will fit. However, it is enough larger that Kydex holsters must be designed for the Ruger, and not the S&W. For some years it had been difficult to find SP101®-specific holsters; however the last few years have seen this situation change, as the popularity of the little Ruger has increased and holster manufacturers have responded to this widening market.

I am a firearms aficionado (gun whack) with some background in firearms forensics, but have never been a top shot. Add to this aging eyes that wear tri-focals and occasional bouts of hypoglycemia that add shakes to the aim, and I am pretty average. In almost 20 years of qualifying with this revolver, it has never failed me. At reasonable ranges for this type handgun, if I do my part, it delivers consistently. The agency I retired from has issued CCI Gold Dot .38 Special +P for a number of years. The SP101® handles it well, absorbing the +P recoil and grouping it quite well. Prior to the Gold Dot issue ammo was Federal Hydra Shock, and the SP101® was just as dependable a partner with it.

Florida is home to just about every poisonous snake that inhabits America. Thus I make it a habit to have some type of shot ammo available—whether .410 shotshells with #9 shot for my derringer, or CCI shotshells for my usual carry handgun. As at least one rattlesnake can attest to, the SP101® is a great platform for this ammunition—the 2 ¼" barrel is enough to spin the shot into a wide enough pattern, but not so long that it ruins the pattern and produces gaps that can miss the target.

There is no perfection in any firearm. Indeed, one of the strong points of the SP101® also becomes its biggest drawback—its weight. Compared to other small frame revolvers, this is a heavy firearm, especially in this day when lightweight designs incorporating aluminum alloys, titanium, and rare metals have made it possible to produce powerful magnum revolvers that weigh less than original steel framed small revolvers. Carrying the SP101® on the hip, either in a traditional belt holster or concealed using an inside the waist band holster is a piece of cake. But for ankle carry, especially after experiencing ankle carry of a titanium revolver, it becomes an anchor. For someone my size (I have been told I have tree trunks for legs, and the femurs of a cow), carry is still not uncomfortable, even after being spoiled by the titanium framed revolver. But for a small framed individual, or a person with weak or injured legs, the weight may become too much for ankle carry.

In the SP101® Ruger has a true survivor. Even as the defensive carry world has adopted the semi-automatic pistol as a standard, this small frame revolver proves that old technology still has a role in personal defense. It is tough—a mandate for any deep concealment firearm, exposed to lint, dirt, dust, sweat, and wet from road and path. It is strong, capable of handling any factory ammunition designed for it. Despite its short barrel, it is accurate for the ranges it is designed to be used at. It is a companion that will bring the carrier a deserved sense of comfort.

• Paul Laska began his career in law enforcement in 1974. Since retirement in 2002 he has continued as a consultant, an instructor for a number of programs, and as a writer.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... while the Ruger web site no longer lists .38 Special as an offering....

The drop of the .38 Special offering does not cause a serious problem. ..

Only glitch is the above - Ruger still shows the .38 only model onsite, last one on page:

http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=9&variation=Satin%20Stainless&bct=Yes&type=Revolver

It has the same MSRP as the .357 models, though, and same weight and dimensions, so not sure why anyone would pick it.

Other than that, not bad. I agree that the SP101 occupies a special niche in revolverdom for its size, at least among currently produced offerings. The durability and simple comfort of shooting is just unmatched unless you move up in physical size. I actually enjoy shooting .357 through mine, and of course .38 +p is quite benign. Regular .38 is dang near like shooting .22. Amazing for a gun only that big.

Its really too bad that the times seem such that I feel I could need more than 5 rounds to grab, or I'd have the Ruger on hip for EDC instead of semi-auto. Heck, that may not even be a realistic view, what with the often touted "most gunfights are 3 rounds or less" kinda stuff. Then again, that stat may be changing fast, as most of the possible bad situations I perceive these days involve multiple baddies.

- OS

This thread is useless without pictures... :shrug:

Here is my KSP321TG

Special Distribution from Talo finished in Target Gray...I LOVE this gun!!!

I agree. Nice one, Pie.

Here's mine, just plain ole stock DAO model, 'cept for some inexpensive wood inserts from eBay feller.

sp101.jpg

I gotta get some of those wood inserts. Mine has the black plastic:yuck:

Got mine from "dakins7579" on eBay, who makes them.

Doesn't have but one pair on there right now, but usually has 10 or more at a time for auction, and some for under $20. All kinds of wood, mine were just red oak, preferred that over something exotic, just 'cause that's one of our TN trees.

Just adds a touch of personalization without detracting from the stock grip's effectiveness; matter of fact, the stock grip is really super combo of concealment and recoil reduction, it's really fine I think.

- OS

I gotta get some of those wood inserts. Mine has the black plastic:yuck:

I don't want to undercut the business going on with this forum...pretty sure I am not simply because there isn't a vendor here that actually makes them.

Happen to know the best in the business with respect to SP and GP inserts. Not trying to sell anything, but if you are looking for inserts for these guns I happen to know where you can pick among 100 or so different ones in different wood/materials. They are hard to find if you aren't looking for them.

• 2 weeks later...

When my father died, I got his SP101. Since then, I've added a Wilson Combat Spring kit, a Set of Cocobolo Grips from Hogue, and I did a real nice "trigger" job on it. My SP101 is a early model and the internals were factory finished so well, that there wasn't anything I could do to it except clean and polish it. You can't beat Ruger for toughness and reliability of their revolvers. I own a GP100 4" as well and absolutely love it too.