Any masons here?

Mark@Sea

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a bricklayer.I don't call myself a mason because I don't want to be identified with a bunch of fat,cardigan/vest sweater,Speidel watch band,wingtip shoe wearing old men who get together and eat brownies and run around with peacock feathers up their butts while they shock each other with cattle prods.:tinfoil:I have never done a fireplace or chimney as I have worked in the commercial side my entire time.I am about ready to hang it up though,lack of work and too many amigos for my likeing.

I'm thinking of adding a fireplace/chimney to my deck. Wondering if anyone here could do something like that.

You're kidding right?

Mark, if you don't let me build that fireplace, I'll never speak to ya again!

I've been thinking about it and have come up with some really nice designs....possibly an eliptical arched fireplace, or if you have the spare brick I can make a dutch oven. it's like a arched fireplace with an extra deck added for a grill...

either way, I can send you some design ideas...I wanted to make a herringbone pattern on the chimney, bordered with soldiers that are stood out for relief..

I've got all sorts of ideas to make it pretty..like using red brick with black mortar (dye the mortar)..that would make it beautiful. or if you prefer, brown brick with black mortar. let me know what sort of fireplace you want and I can help you make it pretty with different designs.. I will also build it quick..and I can get paid to do it (I can take paid time off) without a loss of money.

It's been a few years since I've laid a fireplace, but I still remember how to lay them out and I DEFINITELY still remember how to lay brick.

Guest tnmale46
Same here.

Never had any interaction with a peacock feather, someone must have played a good joke on him.:up:

here too but no feathers sweaters or wing tips tho:)

I am a bricklayer.I don't call myself a mason because I don't want to be identified with a bunch of fat,cardigan/vest sweater,Speidel watch band,wingtip shoe wearing old men who get together and eat brownies and run around with peacock feathers up their butts while they shock each other with cattle prods.:tinfoil:I have never done a fireplace or chimney as I have worked in the commercial side my entire time.I am about ready to hang it up though,lack of work and too many amigos for my likeing.

**Disclaimer**

No Peacocks are harmed during our ritual. :)

I think a howitzer would be better than a fireplace. :stunned:

and btw to all your free masons, isn't a free mason just a glorified bricklayer?

Or are you all just like a social club now?

Just askin...

Who we are.....We are a Men's Fraternity, a system of morality veiled in allegory and illustrated by symbol. We are not a religion, but we are religious in nature. Our Craft was based on the time and events surrounding the building of King Solomon's Temple. We are essentially a Charitable organization giving to the Masonic Widows and Orphans fund, The Templars Eye Foundation, The Shriners Hospitals for Children, and others.

We are a brotherhood, just like any other fraternity. We like to say we take good men and make them better, and if a person listens to the lessons Freemasonry teaches, and applies them in their private life then they would be in turn bettering themselves and the people around them. The lessons are not something a person HAS to come to us to get, for we have been taught them our whole lives. We as a fraternity like to stress the morals, principles, and duties which we owe to God, our neighbors, and ourselves.

Sorry Mark, I'm just illuminati.

:stunned: Snort

Just a simple outdoor fireplace, about 8 feet above ground. Stone over a frameup of some sort, probably building the firebox and the foundations will be the hard part. Hey, I know almost nothing about it, thus I am fearlessly charging where angels, etc...

However, before the fireplace can be built the deck has to be replaced. Before the deck is replaced the old siding has to be replaced, and repairs made that resulted from the water damage caused by the really really dumb way the previous deck was attached to the house.

I'm still looking for someone to replace the siding! Is there a carpenter in the house?

This home improvement stuff is difficult to do from 9000 miles away.

FWIW, I have a deep respect for the accomplishments of the freemasons... Most of the movers and shakers that built this country were masons (non-bricklaying version).

Guest clownsdd

I've never seen a peacock at any of our rituals either. memphismason is a lot nicer than I am.

I am not trying to slam, put down, be disrespectful, or flame and I apologize in advance:

But

ET..........Ya need to put your brain in gear before you open your mouth and know what you are talking about.

Guest clownsdd

Being funny is not the way it read. I would think some common courtesy and respect would come into play.

OK...just forget it. With your brain where you want it there is no point in discussing.

See ya.

Personally I found it rude and disrespectful. It "may" have been meant as a joke but I, for one, didn't see any humor in the post and don't know of anyone or any group of people who would appreciate those type of comments.

• 1 year later...
:D Snort

Just a simple outdoor fireplace, about 8 feet above ground. Stone over a frameup of some sort, probably building the firebox and the foundations will be the hard part. Hey, I know almost nothing about it, thus I am fearlessly charging where angels, etc...

However, before the fireplace can be built the deck has to be replaced. Before the deck is replaced the old siding has to be replaced, and repairs made that resulted from the water damage caused by the really really dumb way the previous deck was attached to the house.

I'm still looking for someone to replace the siding! Is there a carpenter in the house?

This home improvement stuff is difficult to do from 9000 miles away.

FWIW, I have a deep respect for the accomplishments of the freemasons... Most of the movers and shakers that built this country were masons (non-bricklaying version).

I'm not a professional, but I've installed and repaired a lot of siding with the two workshops that I've built. I'd be willing to show you or help you replace the siding if you like.

Terry.