Multiple transfers 1 rate

FrankD

We did the same for some customers and others asked we open and check right away. That was back in the day before digital camera and cheap video storage. Multiples had to be one transaction. Multiple shipments in is a different item. I can see charging more for that as it would be more work indeed. 

It's not the easy trasnactions that are that difficult. It's when you have denials, appeals, conditional approvals; then your dealing with customers who are angry with you becasue of something you can't control. having guns arranged to be returned and transfered yet again. Then they call and angrily visit you to solve an issue you can't do anything about. You also have the hassle of dealing with out of state sellers who don't send guns the correct way, serial number matching issues, storage, liability, transfer issues, etc.

I know when I worked in a store we spent quite a bit of time on the phone and e-mail middle manning transfers that were not smooth.
All that to say the investment alone in brick and mortar to store and transfer the gun you bought dirt cheap isn't $35 dollar cheap.

Just remember the money you save buying online is paid by the brick and mortar's investment. I still look for the cheapest deal I can get, but I'm also going to be reasonble with my expectations of the LGS.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, n0rlf said:

55 minutes ago, n0rlf said:

If a shop cannot sustain business based on transfer fees alone then there is a much bigger issue.

I'm confused. You actually think a shop can make it only by transfer fees?

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Raoul said:

I'm confused. You actually think a shop can make it only by transfer fees?

I’m still trying to figure out why transfers are such an ordeal and why people are buying dozens of AR lowers at a time. 

• Like 2

Let's see, There is me, the wife, 2 sons, a daughter, a son in law, and now grandkids. If I build one new one I have to build 7 or 8. Cheaper and easier to buy the lowers buy the ten pack! :)

I just wish AR-10 lowers were as cheap. We all have a 308, 6.5 creedmore, and I also have a 6.5 Gendel and a .243. Now of course my sons want one of those each.

I have to admit I love the 243 and the creedmore.

Edited by n0rlf
  • Like 1

The FFLs can and do charge what they like for transfers and that is fine, it's their business.  The only point I have to make is that if they did an all for one price or did a cheap transfer they may be able to get more people in their door.  I don't own a gun shop, if I did I would examine this.  If you don't like what a gun shop charges for transfers you are always free to open your own shop and do them for a price that you like.  Ain't America grand?

11 hours ago, Smith said:

It's not the easy trasnactions that are that difficult. It's when you have denials, appeals, conditional approvals; then your dealing with customers who are angry with you becasue of something you can't control. having guns arranged to be returned and transfered yet again. Then they call and angrily visit you to solve an issue you can't do anything about. You also have the hassle of dealing with out of state sellers who don't send guns the correct way, serial number matching issues, storage, liability, transfer issues, etc.

I know when I worked in a store we spent quite a bit of time on the phone and e-mail middle manning transfers that were not smooth.
All that to say the investment alone in brick and mortar to store and transfer the gun you bought dirt cheap isn't $35 dollar cheap.

Just remember the money you save buying online is paid by the brick and mortar's investment. I still look for the cheapest deal I can get, but I'm also going to be reasonble with my expectations of the LGS.

Not sure how the brick and mortar store investment has any impact on what I save ordering online?

And yes transfers can be a pain. Again why what I expect from a dealer is different than what the one offs would expect. If my dealer knows me well (which mine usually does as I am buying a lot) and my transfers usually go through with no issues than yes I expect a decent workable price we can both live with. If however I am one of the whiny, hard to please customers them I would be so to expect full price always. 

It is up to the dealer what he charged to who. For me choosing a gun dealer is like choosing a wife, lots of dates, time getting to know each other and build trust, seeing who they have hanging around them as well as who they hang around. Them decide if it is that dealer I want to spend a lot of time and money with. 

I also want a shop that has a quality gunsmith around. I am too old and shaky for real fine work anymore. 

As the op asked for a shop that did all for one in a particular case I have my past experience. The rest is merely my opinion and we all know what that is worth. 

Do as you feel you must. I will do the same and we can still enjoy a good drink together anytime. 

1 hour ago, n0rlf said:

Not sure how the brick and mortar store investment has any impact on what I save ordering online?

Simple, you can't buy cheap online (guns at least) without a brick and mortar. You won't miss them till they are all gone. The ones left standing will then be able to charge what ever they want because there will be no one else. Cause and effect is not linear, it's dynamic. 

When I started working at a gun store I was of the same mind as many here that transfers were an insignificant transaction that stores should be pleased to participate in simply for customer goodwill. After 4 years, I felt much different and can understand if no stores did transfers.

• Like 1

Man I didn't think this thread would turn into a 2 page debate.  I honestly see both of sides of the story here, I do think as firearm enthusiasts we have an unspoken obligation to help out our LGS when possible.  However, if I save money by purchasing my firearms through an internet dealer and utilize the savings to help the LGS on the transfer, ammo, smith work, impulse purchases, range time if possible, etc I think everybody wins.  At the end of the day what the shop charges to do transfers is up to them, if their revenue is not inline with their expenses that is on them.  Perhaps they are trying to use a low transfer fee to acquire long term customers.  I simply wanted to know which LGS had the most competitive rates, as a consumer I see nothing wrong with this practice.

• Like 1

That is indeed possible. Time will tell of course and I am sure it is something the anti's would love.

However I can buy without a brick and mortar as such by using the numerous kitchen table dealers that are still out there.

Not a real good way to go as their time is limited and I am afraid they will not be around a lot longer. 

There are a few solutions but none of them are great. I do not want to see the local guy go under however I am not going to spend 100% more for something either.

Remember there is more than one type of dealer just like there is more than one type of customer. That is why it is a relationship. If you showed up at my door asking for a transfer of ten lowers for one charge having never done business with me I am less likely to accomodate you than I am the guy that has been dealing with me for years. 

So instead of each of us giving our opinion on what we want how about solutions.

So, every LE office in the country is now required to handle the transfers for a simple $25 fee for the call in. No records are to be kept beyond what is kept today by FFLs. That has several good points but also a lot of BAD points. 1st of course is the government is involved which is never good. Second of course is that they woiuld turn it into a defacto registration system. Good point is that anyone that should not be getting a gun is right there for them to deal with. One really good point is that it should be able to be setup very easily as a check call. All based online so no operators waiting. Less cost. 

That is over simplified and just my rambling. We do need change and anyone that thinks that it is not going to happen has their head i the sand. Small shops are on life support and unless they fill other needs they will expire soon. Sad but it is the eventual end point I am afraid. The big online places will eventually kill them off. Just as Wal-Mart did so many others.

Now we can sit and complain about it or get in front of it and try to get a solution in mind to propose. I am open minded as long as it does not lead to more government intrusion, a registry, or local LE having final say. 

So what is a solution we can all work out and everyone get behind we can send to one of our worthless congress critters to draft.