Trump urges ban on 'bump stocks,' other gun modifiers

2 minutes ago, Someotherguy said:

It is quite clear to me now, that we(2nd amendment gun rights supporters) are to the republican party as african americans are to the democratic party...Every election cycle, the left promises the moon to the AA's, and then after the votes are cast, they throw them under the bus...The right preaches support of the 2nd A to get the votes, and then when things get difficult, under the bus wheels we go.

I agree this is true of some Republicans, but I wouldn't generalize to say this true of all of them.  

It's certainly true of President Trump.  He was a gun-banning Democrat when it was expedient for him, then he became a Republican when that was more expedient.  Now he's moving in the other direction.  Trump's only guiding principle is to do what is best for him at the moment.  He will help us on RKBA when he perceives it as beneficial to him, but I wouldn't look to him for any consistent help on this issue.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, DaveTN said:

No it’s not; quite the opposite. Rational people are trying to come up with plans that will keeps folks safer while not infringing on the 2nd amendment any more than they already are. Bumps stocks are a clear violation of the intent of the ban on automatic weapons. More people would probably be alive today if the shooter in Vegas hadn’t had access to them. For common sense gun owners to think if we agree that bump stocks violate the intent of the law, and agree with banning them we will somehow be rolled over by the anti-gun folks is ridiculous.

As far as the age thing goes, I was 17 when I joined the military during Vietnam. I was old enough to join the military, carry small arms and be responsible while being around Ballistic Nuclear Weapons; but not responsible enough to buy a beer. So I’m probably not the best person to ask. But I believe if you are old enough to make the decision to protect your country with your life; you are old enough to vote, drink, and buy a gun. I do understand though that the military can take a very immature individual and turn them into a responsible adult in a very short period of time.

If we can’t attempt to make changes with Trump in the White House and the Republicans having control of the house; then it’s only a matter of time until we lose it all. But we can’t fix anything if we want gun owners to stand united in support of bump stocks (Not that it will happen). Let’s deal with the mental health issue, let’s deals with nut cases openly making violent threats, let’s get the medical community to tell us if half the kids in school really need to be drugged.

I also think you are way off base on this, if he would not of had a bumpstock, then he could have used controlled fire instead of pray and spray.  I say could have because at this point we do not know, but I believe I read where he took these guns out and shot them before the event.  I do know as a fact, that I personally can successfully engage targets more effectively using controlled fire vs full auto.  And have been warned more than a couple times on the range not to use auto because the range was not cleared for auto even though my selector switch was on semi the entire time.   I don't have any use for a bumpstock, binary trigger or any other ammo wasting gadget, so I don't have any, but if we allow the ATF or the feds to start regulating due to perceived "intent" of the law we will lose all weapons because make no mistake about it, the intent is to disarm the populace.

• Like 1