Two confirmed dead after ammo explodes in burning apartment

The Legion

http://wreg.com/2018/02/22/ammunition-explodes-as-apartment-burns-following-robbery/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Two victims are confirmed dead after a Parkway Village apartment complex caught on fire Thursday, causing ammunition inside the unit to explode, fire officials said.

The incident started around noon at the Clearbrook Village Apartments in the 3500 block of Tall Oaks Circle.

But before the chaos, Memphis Police say there was a crime.

Initially they received a robbery call to the complex.

Neighbor Regina Brown was home and says she saw police already on scene before she saw the flames.

“I just heard ‘Get on the ground, freeze!’ so I ran back downstairs. I thought they were talking to my brother, but it obviously was the suspect. After that, that’s when the fire started,” Brown said.

What we’re working to find out is how the fire started, and how did two people die?

Witnesses said they heard gunshots coming from inside, but we’re told there was ammunition going off.

We’re also working to find out how many people are without a place to sleep.

The Fire Department told us there are about 16 units in the affected building.

Now, Brown says she is holding her 1-year-old tighter while longtime residents are left uneasy and hoping for answers.

“It happened so fast,” she said. “I think it’s terrible.”

12 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

Supposedly metal ammo cans are designed to contain everything in the case of a fire. Can anyone verify this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought the were designed not to create a bomb.  Once the seal melts in a fire then the contents are under far less pressure and can cook-off better.  Still wouldn’t want to be around one though.

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

Supposedly metal ammo cans are designed to contain everything in the case of a fire. Can anyone verify this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always heard this but don't know anyone, nor do I want to experience it first hand to find out. LOL

44 minutes ago, The Legion said:

Update on Story:  Man has been arrested for killing the couple in apartment before setting apartment on fire.

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/37576209/arsonist-accused-of-killing-2-people-before-burning-apartment-complex

I’ve read other stories that the man killed might have had some kind of past.  I wonder if this was some kind of retribution.

I also wonder just how much ammo was ablaze.  A box, case, or what?