Local gun shop snobs

Guest cdsusong

Guest cdsusong

I just felt like venting a tad, my issue is with local gun shops treating "potential" customers like crap. With the current shape of the economy, one would think that these guys would be chomping at the bit for a sale! There is a local shop (no names) that I go to on a regular basis. I have bought holsters, mag pouches, ammo, odds and ends and so on. Now when a person comes into the shop, that is not one of the regular loafers, you get absolutely no help or conversation. Basically you have to be rude to even get your hands on a weapon or just ask a simple question. And of course the reply is always, "no we don't have that but we can order you one". Well hell, I can order one myself on the internet and save the secondhand jack up. I try to give the local shops business to help keep them around, but when they act like they don't care if you come in or not.........what are you gonna do? Have any of you had similar issues? Now I am not saying that all shops are this way, and I know from personal experience that they are not, but for you store owners out there, be happy a new customer has found you place of business. Move those counter slouches out of the way so you can make some money!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I frequent G&L, and I've always had a positive experience there... except one time when some guy that looked kinda like magnum PI, chewing gum and all was behind the counter. He was sort of a jerk, luckily I bought from one of the many other fine folks there.

I can understand the OP's point of view, being only 19 I feel this way alot of the time when I walk into the gun shops locally. I had a guy be real jerk the other day at local gunshop and I think some of that to a degree is my age. Just because I'm young doesn't mean I don't know jacksquat about guns or that I don't have money to spend just like an older individual who walks in. This is one reason I buy most of my guns from private transactions or a local pawnshop who knows me by name. But hey its their business and I don't own it, so most of the time I just don't go back unless I have to.

I understand where you are comming from. But when you ask them for something they dont have in stock what are they supposed to say? I think it is good business for them to offer to order it for you. You have to understand that gun shops are mostly family owned and simply cant afford to stock everything that you see on the internet. They are just trying to help you when they offer to order stuff that they dont have. I totally agree with gun shops helping any and all customers, good customer service means a lot in the gun business.

-Jason G

I understand where you are comming from. But when you ask them for something they dont have in stock what are they supposed to say? I think it is good business for them to offer to order it for you. You have to understand that gun shops are mostly family owned and simply cant afford to stock everything that you see on the internet. They are just trying to help you when they offer to order stuff that they dont have. I totally agree with gun shops helping any and all customers, good customer service means a lot in the gun business.

-Jason G

Sometimes they don't even do that. I realize there is a lot of demand right now. A week ago, I went to a big name Knoxville shop, went in with cash, and asked to pre-buy a certain pistol. They said they wouldn't do it. Suggested I come in on Thursday mornings when they get their weekly shipments put out on the shelves and just "see what they got. If the one I want is in I could buy it".

For me this was the last straw with them. I have resolved not to be back.

I frequent G&L, and I've always had a positive experience there... except one time when some guy that looked kinda like magnum PI, chewing gum and all was behind the counter. He was sort of a jerk, luckily I bought from one of the many other fine folks there.

Hahahahahahahaha. I know exactly who your talking about.

What about the position of gun stores at this time?

We have customers coming in wanting to buy, buy, buy but for some odd reason either the gun manufacturers (most likely) did not produce enough to satisfy the demand, or the gun distributors didn't order enough to satisfy the demand.

We get gun shipments in every single day. We don't pre-sell items which we can't guarantee delivery on because it doesn't make sense to promise an item which we can't deliver in a timely manner.

Thats why I like Hero Gear from day one everytime I walk through the door someone makes sure they say hello and what are you looking for. At least that has been my dealings with them. And Joe and Dan will go out of their way to help you no matter how busy they are. Theres a shop here local to that if you don't buy from them act like you shouldn't even be in their store. So it goes both ways. Guess thats why Joe has the business they have.

We have customers coming in wanting to buy, buy, buy but for some odd reason either the gun manufacturers (most likely) did not produce enough to satisfy the demand, or the gun distributors didn't order enough to satisfy the demand.

We get gun shipments in every single day. We don't pre-sell items which we can't guarantee delivery on because it doesn't make sense to promise an item which we can't deliver in a timely manner.

Exactly.

/rant on

We strive to have excellent customer service and like to think that the vast majority of the time we succeed, but at this stage of the game there literally is next to nothing to be had. Please consider what the FFL's are going through at the moment - case in point, I'll go over the list of firearms that used to be plentiful that now we have trouble re-ordering:

Glocks (any model)

Sigs (any model)

S&W revolvers (any model but especially J-frames)

1911's (any make, model)

Beretta's (most)

XD's are OK, and by OK I mean dont ask for 3" guns

Taurus (everything, minus 24/7 OSS's)

Walther (agian, anything)

Rugers

This does not include the stuff that was allocated (read: distributors pick and choose who gets what) before all this happened. Allocated firearms that are even MORE hard to get now than before include:

Kel-tec

Taurus Judge's (I die on the inside everytime someone asks me about these)

Black Rifles - any manufacturer - though this is getting slightly better

Tactical Rifles, as in Police bolt rifles and M1A type rifles

Anything Century Arms

Hi-Points

Mossberg home defense shotguns

I could go on and on. Honestly I'm extremely lucky that I have what I do in the building for sale. My vendors are good to me so I cant complain much, but if I have half of the Glock models in stock I'd be surprised. Don't get me started on the state and availability of ammunition and accessories either, cause its just as bad if not worse.

So please, your local store may be a jerk to you, but consider the problems they are having to deal with. Less product means less sales, which means less money to pay the bills with. Or, dont get mad at them because they cant order a product for you. Yeah, we can take your money, but dont expect us to be able to tell you if/when it will ever show up. It's amazing though, some of us dealers dont like to take peoples money without a product we can reasonably deliver. Go figure.

/rant off

This is the nature of retail. Not exclusive to gun shops. It is a tough thing to do...running your own business.

Guest Astra900

I don't understand why gun stores are notorious for being filled w/ arrogant jerks. They can't help the fact that the customers are asinine but I will never understand why selling guns makes a man stick his nose in the air and turn all high and mighty to prospective buyers.

My wife went into a very popular gunstore in our area last year to buy me a b-day gift. *COUGHFranklin GunCOUGH* They ignored her and stood around and talked the whole time. It really hurt her feelings, sensitive thing, she was really looking forward to getting me a nice surprise. When she told me about it, I called them up and politely chewed a little ass with the older guy there. He apologized relentlessly, but we will NEVER be back. I wasn't trying to brag but I wanted to let the guy know how bad he f'ed up; The little woman had better than two grand in her purse, and wouldn't have had a problem going home broke.

It appears our vendors here seem not to suffer from the "mine is longer than yours" syndrome, and I'm thankful. I wish Hero, CCA and all the others weren't so far away. This spring I plan to visit as many as possible.

FYI, Never assume a pretty little gal only has lipstick and a cell phone in her hand bag. You might screw yourself out of a good sale!:)

Sorry to rant on top of your rant:p

I'm happy only frequenting the shop of a member here. Austin's Tennessee Firearms. Even if I can't buy firearms at my age, I sure can buy other things. Regardless of who is working the counter, they always take time ot say hello :)

I do understand where the OP is comming from, as I have been there myself. It does pay to shop areound...mamma said, ya better shop around....heh.

As far as G&L, wow!! The Mrs. wanted to buy me a brand new pistol for my B-day, 12/24, but we waited until 12/10 or so to order it. Daniel, yeah...^^^^ him, is who I dealt with. They were not able to get the exact gun, a blued P90, but he did find me a stainless. He knew it was for my birthday, and he new my wife didn't want to wait untill after my birthday for me to receive my gift. What he did do:

1) He listened to my wife's request (as do most of the G&L folks).

2) He made no "promises" other than to say he would let me know in 7-10 days.

3) He delivered in a timely manner that which I had requested, well close enough for me.

This is why I will shop exclusively at G&L. They are not the closest to my home, but they are worth the 20 minute drive. I hear very much the same things about Hero Gear, and iffin I lived down that way, you could replace all my "G&L" with "Hero Gear".

What I seem to find with customer service, and gun shops are no different, the better the sales, the less the employees have to work to make those sales.

I know that sounds elementary, but when everyone wants whatever you're selling, they can treat the customer poorly and probably still make the sale.

David

Guest Astra900
What I seem to find with customer service, and gun shops are no different, the better the sales, the less the employees have to work to make those sales.

I know that sounds elementary, but when everyone wants whatever you're selling, they can treat the customer poorly and probably still make the sale.

David

Sadly you are right, to a point. What do they care if you buy or not when there's someone in line behind you.

Sadly you are right, to a point. What do they care if you buy or not when there's someone in line behind you.

Because some FFL's understand that if you treat people right, they will come back. This wave we're riding will end at some point, and when the sales are getting lean is when you want to have the best reputation & repeat customers as possible.

I've never been to G&L,{YOU--->:tinfoil:<---ME} I need to get out there. I hear a lot of good stuff 'bout you guys. Open on Sunday right?

Definately worth the trip. I bought my first gun there and the staff was very helpful and never once did they make me feel like I was bothering them (unlike some other gun stores I've been in). I went in thinking I was going to buy one gun and left with a different one after the staff took the time to help me find a gun that suited my needs. I also took my hcp class there. I wish I had more time to get up there more, great place.

Because some FFL's understand that if you treat people right, they will come back. This wave we're riding will end at some point, and when the sales are getting lean is when you want to have the best reputation & repeat customers as possible.

Metalhead,

I definately agree with you. I will rank G&L as a great shop. Great employees, great hours (the best around), great HCP class (Mark really does a good job), and a range that rocks. I haven't had a need for any leather or smithing yet but I hear good things as well. I think you rule north of Nashville for sure. It's not the closest shop to me but worth the drive.

I won't go back to a shop in Franklin as long as I can help it. (Sorry just had to add that.)

You guys keep up the good work!

David

Guest Astra900
Metalhead,

I won't go back to a shop in Franklin as long as I can help it. (Sorry just had to add that.)

My wife says the shop in Franklin has the best selection of guns in the area, so it's a great place to shop and find what you want, look at it, then go buy it somewhere else cheaper, from nicer people!!!:tinfoil:

Guest Mugster

This is why I don't mind driving down to hero gear. I get good service, and I'm pretty sure joe/dan/anybody there will sell me what I want. If I ask an opinion, I think I get a good one. I think in terms of some things, you are better off ordering vs the drive, but for a firearm, I know who I'll call first.

Actually, franklin gun I get real good service. I did order a rifle from there a few years ago. I knew it would take 10-12 months to get it, and I needed a reputable shop to do it. Some of them I wonder if they'll still be around in a year. I can't find fault for sticking with MSRP if you can get it. They pay high rent where they are located. My guess is they have to charge the prices they do. They don't seem to drive caddy's.

My wife says the shop in Franklin has the best selection of guns in the area, so it's a great place to shop and find what you want, look at it, then go buy it somewhere else cheaper, from nicer people!!!:hat:

+1

They definately have a ton of guns. Lots to looks at on the accessory side as well, but too high on most stuff. I was in there a couple of weeks ago looking for a holster for my wife. They were out of what I was looking for. Asked an employee for help to see if they had anymore. He could have cared less to help me and didn't, so I left.

I know it was just a holster and not looking to buy an AR15 or something more expensive, but hey that's fine. What goes around comes around. My next gun won't come from there.

David