Awesome driving video (AKA: Joe, can you do this?!)

musicman

I've heard about this video forever, but never actually saw it until I saw this on another forum today.

Subject: Paris in a 275 GTB

On an August morning in 1978, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had a friend, a professional Formula 1 racer, drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris. The film was limited for technical reasons to 10 minutes; the course was from Porte Dauphine, through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur.

No streets were closed, for Lelouch was unable to obtain a permit.

The driver completed the course in about 9 minutes, reaching nearly 140 MPH in some stretches. The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets.

Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested. He has never revealed the identity of the driver, and the film went underground until a DVD release a few years ago.

http://www.vimeo.com/1101437

So Joe, when are we gunna see your video of you tearing it up around downtown Winchester? :)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard about this video forever, but never actually saw it until I saw this on another forum today.

Subject: Paris in a 275 GTB

On an August morning in 1978, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had a friend, a professional Formula 1 racer, drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris. The film was limited for technical reasons to 10 minutes; the course was from Porte Dauphine, through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur.

No streets were closed, for Lelouch was unable to obtain a permit.

The driver completed the course in about 9 minutes, reaching nearly 140 MPH in some stretches. The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets.

Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested. He has never revealed the identity of the driver, and the film went underground until a DVD release a few years ago.

http://www.vimeo.com/1101437

So Joe, when are we gunna see your video of you tearing it up around downtown Winchester? ;)

Great video.

I have seen it 233459 times, but its still a blast to watch.

The sound is amazing!

How do you know I DON'T drive that way through Winchester? :)

Guest RemedyCNC

Cool video. But my opinion is all the sound is dubbed. There is a curve around the 6:30 point where he is in top gear and only downshifts one or two gears, and rounds the corner. He couldn't been going more than about 20 in the curve. Watch it again. Just doesn't jive in my mind. Still an awesome video. Got my heartrate up!!

I own the DVD, love it. Love showing it to friends. Question there has been rumor of another video similar to this of a japanese man in an F-40 flying through Tokyo. Any one heard anything? It's like the 50 foot shark of illegal driving movies.

Cool video. But my opinion is all the sound is dubbed. There is a curve around the 6:30 point where he is in top gear and only downshifts one or two gears, and rounds the corner. He couldn't been going more than about 20 in the curve. Watch it again. Just doesn't jive in my mind. Still an awesome video. Got my heartrate up!!

Couldn't he be dropping more than 1 gear in each shift?

Guest coldblackwind

I really used to do stuff like that. Have the tickets, and arrests to prove it too. Wasn't, some of the brightest things I've ever done, and we made a point to avoid heavily populated areas like that, not to mention it almost got me killed a number of times. However, I can tell you how to make a '97 neon run with corvettes, :cool:, and I can tell you what the view of the countryside around wartrace looks like from a mustang at 147 mph.