10/22 Magazines

Well I'm looking to buy up magazines for guns I don't even own yet. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with hi-cap 10/22 magazines. I'm looking at these three, just let me know.

Ramline 50rnds for $20

Butler Creek 25rnds for $25

Eagle 30rnds for $10

Thanks for the help!

buk

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

Butler Creek's mags can be very picky, but in my experience it has been 50/50 ammo related. Remington Golds run pretty good, but the bulk Federal crap is a FTF every third round or so.

I've rarely gone through the whole mag without a "FT-something"

Like I said, finicky.

I would say that the best 10/22 mags out there are made by Tactical Innovations. They aren't cheap, but they are very good.

If you go with Butler Creek, look for the Steel Lips version. They have better feeding reliability. Ram-Line mags are decent mags as well. I am not too familiar with Eagle mags.

• 8 months later...

Don't buy the Pro Mag "RUG-A9" 32 round. I bought one at the Smyrna Gun Show for $23.99 with the aluminum lips. First time I tried it the bolt wouldn't even close! The bolt hits the right side lip, when looking at it from the top. It looks like it is too high for the bolt to close. I thought about filing it down, but the sticker says "Lifetime Warranty", so I guess I'll just take it back. I was thinking about getting two of them at the gun show....glad I didn't now. Anyone else have experience with these mags? Are they a piece of crap, or did I just get the runt of the litter? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

I would say that the best 10/22 mags out there are made by Tactical Innovations. They aren't cheap, but they are very good.

+1. Tactical Innovations are the only mags that will run in a full auto 10/22, and they are VERY picky about mags. They are the BEST 10/22 mag out there. If you dont want to drop the money on the TI mags then I would go with Butler Creek steel lips. Ive never had a 50 round .22 mag that would run right. I would stick with the 25 rounders.

Listen to OS. He knows more about 10/22 mags than anyone. :)

Now now...

I'd like to have some of those Tactical Innovations polymer jobbies which are not as pricey as the aluminum ones, but still pretty high.

Can tell you that the Butler Creek steel lips tend to work nicely IF you souse the insides with silicone spray lubricant. Best to use copper jacketed stuff with them too.

(that's a new experiment you hadn't heard about yet, John!)

- OS

I just don't understand how they stay in business.

- OS

Because, at P.T. Barnum said "there's a sucker born every minute". In this case there's always a newbie to owning guns and they don't know any better and they just want the cheapest mag they can find.

I have 2 of the BC steel lips. First thing I did before using them was douse the inside with silcone or teflon spray. I've never had a problem from them.

Guest jimdigriz
Well I'm looking to buy up magazines for guns I don't even own yet. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with hi-cap 10/22 magazines. I'm looking at these three, just let me know.

Ramline 50rnds for $20

Butler Creek 25rnds for $25

Eagle 30rnds for $10

Thanks for the help!

buk

The 30 round Eagle mags feed better for me than the factory mags, so long as I fill them up to 25 instead of 30. They're a great value for 9 dollars or so. I don't know how long they'll last, since they don't have steel feed lips, but I've already got my money's worth for both of mine.

Someone else mentioned trouble with the Federal Value Pack. The stuff feeds _perfectly_ in my 10/22 - better than anything else - if I keep the rifle reasonably well cleaned and lubed.

Jim

Guest jimdigriz

Anybody having feeding trouble with high capacity mags, try not filling them up all the way. As I mentioned in my previous post, this worked wonders for my Eagle mags. Before I figured this out, I had 4-6 misfeeds every mag. Now I have none, unless the gun is very dirty/dry.

Guest 1817ak47

I have 4 butler creek 25 rnd steel lips, never had any trouble and I have puts thousands throught it this year,haave used the bmf activator and emptied the 25 rounders in 3 seconds no problems.

MAKE SURE you tap on hte back side of the mag so that the back side of the casing is against hte back, otherwise you will get binding, I didn't do this at first and the bullets would bind up and I could barely get them out.

In my shooting life, I have had 2 semi autos, 10/22s (plural) and marlin M60s. marlins are easy, keep em clean and make speed loaders out of aluminum arrow hulls that hold 17 rnds qwith a cap on the end. Rugers , I think I have tried every mag out there, and I still use the 10 round rotary mags more than any of them. They are completely reliable, can be dissassembled and cleaned and tuned, spring tension can be increased or decreased with the turn of the spring, BC steel lip[s are second , TI25's require a lot of tuning to get the depth and angle correct, eagle, Ramline and other plastic mags work better right before you wear them out and they wont hold the shells in any more.

ymmv

...Rugers , I think I have tried every mag out there, and I still use the 10 round rotary mags more than any of them. ..

Yep, factory mags have never been beat for reliability.

Here's a way to increase speed of using them that I like. I have two of these TriMags, which gives you access to 60 PDQ rounds. Well worth the ten bucks the maker charges. (buy on eBay).

trimag.jpg

- OS

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gunsaddles

I've tried a number of after market mags for the 10/22, and have always ended up going back to the 10 round Ruger factory mags - they are (in my experience) the most reliable mags for my 10/22.

Yep, factory mags have never been beat for reliability.

Here's a way to increase speed of using them that I like. I have two of these TriMags, which gives you access to 60 PDQ rounds. Well worth the ten bucks the maker charges. (buy on eBay).

trimag.jpg

- OS

Just discovered that these are now sold from Ruger website, same $9.95 price, don't know what shipping is.

The maker, Alangator, is also offering them a little cheaper from RimfireCentral website to registered members.

- OS

Guest befsman

I have the polymer tactical innovations magazine. It has been absolutely perfect after the innitial tuning session. This only took ten minutes or so and now as reliable as the factory mag. Another bonus is that they can be disassembled and cleaned. Many times that is the reason for failures in the cheaper mags with age. .22 ammo is incrediably dirty stuff and that can have dire effects on a mag. So...... #1 Ruger factory, #2 Tactical Innovations steel, #3 TI polymer. I have found no difference in function between steel and polymer in the TI stuff. If you have to go with one, I would say the steel lip Butler Creek. Hope this helps.

Roger

Butler Creek's mags can be very picky, but in my experience it has been 50/50 ammo related. Remington Golds run pretty good, but the bulk Federal crap is a FTF every third round or so.

I've rarely gone through the whole mag without a "FT-something"

Like I said, finicky.

I have two BC mags that worked fine when my 10/22 was bone stock. After it's been rebuilt it works great with Ruger mags, but the Butler Creek mags are quite a bit more finicky.

I have two BC mags that worked fine when my 10/22 was bone stock. After it's been rebuilt it works great with Ruger mags, but the Butler Creek mags are quite a bit more finicky.

5 second blast through bottom hole with spray silicone lube, shake, let dry.

They'll work.

- OS