I need some recomendations:

Guest Rick O'Shay

Guest Rick O'Shay

An older woman I work with called me this evening wanting my assistance in walking her through the permitting process and in purchasing a gun.

Here is the situation: She, like I said, is older with limited arm strength, she is a tiny thing. She will probably have difficulty racking a slide although I will be taking her to the range to test that. Many years ago she used to shoot, so is not total novice to firearms. On the call she mentioned she thought she should get a .38 snubbie and I did not argue the point, although I intend to steer her towards a semi-auto of some type. The problem is I am unfamiliar with compact double action semi-autos (I am a 1911 man myself) and could use some suggestions for a starting point on the search. Any and all suggestions, with a short explanation of why, are welcome.

Thanks.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have her look at Springfield XD9 sub-compact, Glock 26, or anything in the Kahr series. Make sure she pulls the gun up to her chest, holds the slide, and pushes the gun downward, not trying to pull the slide to her. This is a common mistake people make when they have trouble racking the slide.

The smaller DA semi-autos I mentioned tend to not have a heavy recoil spring and make racking the slide easier. That being said if she is having trouble with it, help her find a good revolver.

Not saying you are or would, but always remember to never let personal bias influence another person's gun purchase. Think about why you would steer her toward a semi-auto or vice-versa if it were another case. Good luck buddy!

Any particular reason you are wanting to steer her to a semi-auto? I still just don't believe that, other than round count, an auto provides any other advantages, but they come with a host of other issues. Magazines to worry about, safeties (if not a striker type) and other switches like slide stops and takedown levers to get confused with. The revolver has a trigger, hammer, and slide release to worry about. (and not even the hammer if you get a humpback job)

If round count is an issue, I'd say to just get her two K frames! I like the K frame for its blend of compact size, but enough grip and weight to make it comfotable enough to shoot.

She also already has shown a preference with a .38 snub, and I'm guessing would probably be familiar with it from the start.

I dunno... that's just my $.02, but I'm old-school I guess, even though I'm pretty young! :rofl:

Guest Rick O'Shay

I haven't totally ruled out a revolver but the problem here is slimness of the frame. She is very vain about her appearance and I am afraid a revolver will just end up in the bottom of her purse.

It is my personal opinion and strong belief that the 38 snubbies with the completely covered hammer are the perfect carry gun for most women and many men. My personal choice is the 642 SW but the 442 or the equivalent scandium or Taurus model should work just as well. For more power a 640 SW in 357 is available. Why the 642. It is light weight, it can shoot +P's but most importantly, it is pretty much jam proof and idiot proof, that is why I carry one a lot.

As to carry as a man, I can put it in a pocket and I have the tactical advantage if not having to bring it out to fire as the covered hammer will let it function from inside clothing.

The ladies can put it in a purse and actually keep the purse strap around their necks, their hand in the purse and on the gun, if attacked they can just stick the gun into the attackers body thru the purse and start pulling the trigger without having to draw the weapon. Yes, they will let it go to the bottom of their purse but since it is a closed action nothing will get inside to jam the gun, hence a great ladies purse gun.

Edited by glockster157
Guest Swamprunner
Many women wear jackets with pockets in them, even in the summer time. A 442 or a 642 would be dandy in a jacket pocket as well. Lack of a exposed hammer or moving slide is a plus, IMO.:rofl:

Yup, that's my back up.

Guest shadow12

I agree with the revolver as a good pistol for her, especially if she already has prior experience with it. If she does decide to go with a semi, the Beretta Tomcat has a tip up barrel so she won't have to rack the slide. Try to let her shoot several different guns, and let her decide what she wants.

Guest mustangdave

My wife has 2...a hammerless SP 101 and a Bersa THUNDER 380. She likes the SP101 for its "punch"...and the 380 for its conceal ability

For a person with limited arm strength a .22 mag revolver might be a good choice. Taurus makes an eight shot light weight snubby that is easy to shoot and has virtually no recoil. I realise the .22 mag would not be on most of us shooters short list of self defence rounds, but in this instance it might have some merit. What ever caliber you decide on I think a revolver would be a better choice for your friend, autos just take more training and TLC than most non-shooters are willing to put in, the simplicity of the revolver is its greatest asset. JMHO

Guest Rick O'Shay

I have been sold on a revolver for her, but as to which kind....?

I reckon I will have her try out several of them. Now that I think about it, and knowing me, I will probably end up with a new gun myself dammit!

I vote SP101, even though I am a die hard Smith & Wesson fan. I think the extra weight and heft of the SP101 is a good thing, especially for someone who may be recoil sensistive.

Hey, check out the SP101 in .327 Federal! I haven't shot one yet, but it holds 6 rounds and you can shoot any of the .32 cal revolver stuff in it. Pretty awesome little piece IMHO!

I also would stick with a revolver.

A couple of choices…

I would go with a J-frame S&W, either steel or stainless. I would stay away from aluminum, titanium, scandium and unknownium as they are too light and have too much recoil.

She could have the option of using .38 or .357mag.

You can’t really lighten the trigger pull of a J-frame. So don’t get one with the intention of doing so.

Another choice would be the K-frame; a 2 ½†Model 19 or Model 66.

A little bigger but much more stable shooting. A good Gunsmith can make the action of a K-frame smooth as glass and very light while still being reliable.

Did she tell you she wanted to carry? Or does she just want a gun for home protection? Many people go to a class that don’t carry.

Guest Rick O'Shay

She wants to carry, and I intended to stay away from the lightweight frames. I have already spoken to her about that and she agrees.

Guest hickok

Nobody likes compact Glocks more than I, but I'd steer her toward a little revolver, a Centennial model. As one had his left wrist shattered last year about this time, I gained insight into what it's like to rack slides with one hand and then later with one good hand/arm and one good very weak arm/hand.

I learned to use alternate methods very well, but I did carry a revolver some during that period. Since my Glocks don't seem to know how to malfunction, I did carry them, too, but the revolver became more attractive for a number of reasons.