Which AR-15 Kit Do I Need?

Guest frankcostanza

Guest frankcostanza

I'm pretty clueless about AR-15 rifles other than knowing that I want one.

I'm thinking about getting a kit and stripped lower from Del-Ton and putting it together myself, since I dont have much cash to put towards the thing. I really would like to keep it around $600 bucks.

The problem is that I don't know which kit I should get. First off, should I go with 16" or 20" kit? Other than the fact that the 16" rifle would handle better in close quarters, what are the pros and cons of each? Keep in mind, this rifle will mostly be a range toy. I just want to snap up at least one while I still can. Its not gonna be a primary HD gun or anything. Maybe I'll shoot a varmint or two with it. Maybe I'll take it to the next Appleseed Shoot that I go to. Thats about it.

That being said, I also would like to keep it clean & classic looking like one of these:

b74u4s91h07-1.jpg

ar15.jpg

Its not gonna be all tacticool. Maybe I would mount a scope on the carry handle if I get a wild hair. I do know that I want the carry handle (read: no flat top) and I want fully adjustable sights for elevation & windage and a forward assist. I am not up on the terms and everything, so I need some guidance as to which of these kits from Del-Ton I need to order to have a rifle with these features and have it come out looking like one of these in the pictures.

So please, school me on these rifles and tell me which one I should go with and why.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you are kinda wide open on its use; just go for the look you want.

I would just suggest that you make sure if it has carry handle; it is removable. (Flat Top)

That way you aren’t limited in what you can do as far as optics.

The 16" barrel and collapsible stock are "handier", but there's really something about a 20" AR w/ an A2 stock that I really like... if I get around to building my next AR, it'll be an M16A4gery.

Guest TennFarmer

I have a 16" M4 and a 20" Hbar that I'm dressing up with old M16 goodies. I have to say that the 16" has a better balance for me. Whatever you do, expect about 16-20 weeks for Del-Ton. I've got a M4 kit on order since Nov 26 and I called them yesterday, still atleast 2 weeks out on it. I hope they're worth the wait.

Here is a deal on lowers with a May-June delivery...should match up with a kit. I ordered a couple of them myself. Could not pass up $80 lowers. You can pickup lowers for around $160 locally if your want one now. Hero Gear had several last week.

http://www.shop.thesecondamendmentfirearms.com/product.sc?productId=39

There are a ridiculous array of options out there and like everyone says its a matter of taste and purpose. I decided that an AR was "needed" exactly 4 days before the election. Never cared for 'em but it's kinda cool to have. Got a DPMS lower here in town from CCA and a Del-Ton upper.

I kept it simple. Wanted something as close to "original" without going overboard. Got a 20" barrel, standard feed ramps, gas blocks, etc. I did splurge on an A3 upper with detachable handle just for versatility. Not planning on playing GI Joe or using the thing for HD. Got better things for that.

If you plan on shooting distance get a 20" barrel, like over 100 yards. If you want something to protect the castle, then look for something entirely different.

Guest tnmale46
I would just suggest that you make sure if it has carry handle; it is removable. (Flat Top)

That way you aren’t limited in what you can do as far as optics.

x2
Guest frankcostanza

Ok so in order to have the rifle I'm describing, which of these uppers do I need?

Here's my options:

-A1 Upper w/ brass deflector & forward assist

-A2 Upper

-Flat top upper w/ M4 feed ramps

-Flat top upper w/ T-marks

-High Rider upper

I really have no idea what each of these options entails. Can someone enlighten me and explain what exactly each of these are?

Ok so in order to have the rifle I'm describing, which of these uppers do I need?

Here's my options:

-A1 Upper w/ brass deflector & forward assist

-A2 Upper

-Flat top upper w/ M4 feed ramps

-Flat top upper w/ T-marks

-High Rider upper

I really have no idea what each of these options entails. Can someone enlighten me and explain what exactly each of these are?

Which barrel are you going with?

What exactly are M4 feed ramps, and what are t-marks?

See, I told you I'm clueless!

The M4 feed ramps are longer and supposed to provide more reliable feeding w/ the shorter gas system. I think they are generally pretty unnecessary for a semi...

The T-marks are printed on the top of the upper... I presume for placing optics, but I'm still pretty green to EBRs myself!:D

Here is what i had my brother order from delton. should be close to your range.

the standard m4 16" kit:

get the chrome 1x7 16" barrell for $45

get the m4 flattop with m4 ramps

get a yhm light weight free float tube.

Optional: upgrade to the badger tac latch.

stick with the standard m4 stock and everything else.

order it and wait. It will take 4 months.

Done, you've got a heck of a better deal than what is out there on complete rifles. You will have just over $800. Same rifle in the store would be $1200

now.

you can thank me later.

Guest GUTTERbOY
The M4 feed ramps are longer and supposed to provide more reliable feeding w/ the shorter gas system. I think they are generally pretty unnecessary for a semi...

The T-marks are printed on the top of the upper... I presume for placing optics, but I'm still pretty green to EBRs myself!:D

The T-marks are just there for reference, the idea being that if you remove and replace accessories, you can easily put them back where they were without having to count slots. Think of the last time you put together one of those bookcases with adjustable shelves.

"OK, so I need to count eleven notches up... wait, is it eleven notches and then put the thing on the twelfth, or... dammit."

:(

As for the M4 feed ramps, my $.02 is this: My DTI upperis the 16" with short gas system, no M4 ramps, and so far it's eaten about 400 rounds or so with no issues. I wouldn't exactly call that definitive, but it's my experience.

Frank, the second image you posted is almost exactly the rifle I built, FYI.

You can't go wrong with a Del-Ton kit. I have a 20" and a 16" M4 middie from them. Both work great. I built the 16" first, and prefer it because of size and weight. But then I decided I wanted the "classic" M16 look too, so I built a 20" A2.

Guest db99wj

I have a Del Ton upper kit on order. Should be here in the next 8 weeks.......whatever. I won't believe it until it is in my hands. I have heard only good things about their quality. Everything is backed up currently, be prepared to wait...a long time. But it keeps getting longer if you don't order...

I already have a stripped lower, Anvil Arms, I have a carry handle.

I also have ordered an upper kit from Model 1 Sales, back on 2/17/09, they said it was about 18 weeks.

16'' AR15 C.A.R. Kit, 5.56 NATO, chrome lined chamber & bore; 1-9 twist, A2 flashider; A3 upper; Front sight base w/std front sight; Standard bolt & carrier; Standard charging handle; C.A.R. handguard; 4 position C.A.R. stock; Standard A2 grip; Black

If I get one I might cancel the other (wife's benefit), or I will probably get it, add a lower...and sell it or something.

The T-marks are printed on the top of the upper... I presume for placing optics, but I'm still pretty green to EBRs myself!;)

I disagree. Semi or auto makes no difference.

The m4 feed ramps are more so for the heavier ammunition.(68gr and up) While the regular 55gr will feed in just about anything. Some of the heavier rounds like to jam on regular feed ramps.

Are they totally necessary? No.

Are they cheap insurance against FTF issues? Yes.

Some confidence inspiring LMT feed ramps.

feedrampsLMT.jpg?t=1236620400