Wilson Combat shok-buffs for 1911 and Beretta 92

Are these worth putting one in a gun or is it just a gimmick ? I understand their intended purpose but just wondering if any of you guys use them in your Beretta's or 1911's ? I  believe that most guns should be kept factory stock and that if they needed an extra part then they would gave came with it. But just seeing if anyone here uses one of these a and experiences. 

Every 1911 I have had never ran shok buffs-

I have actually had a Kimber with the buff disintegrate and lock the pistol up-

I have a STI Trojan that had the buff installed from the factory-I had multiple feed and extraction problems-removed the buff and also the problems-

But I could never figure out why they think they needed it in a 9mm 4.25 inch barrel 1911-

I've used them in a number of .45acp 1911s that see a good bit of use. Ran them regularly in my IDPA guns. I believe they do help prevent excessive battering of the frame and slide. I also believe they lighten the felt recoil just a tad allowing slightly  faster follow up shots. The trick is to replace them before they wear completely out. Trying to be cheap and push them too long is when they start coming apart. 😵 I have never had one come apart and cause a malfunction. 

I do not put them in defensive guns. Just in case as you never really know. I just don't take the chance. 🙄

I see no reason to use them in standard 9mm or .38 Super guns. However, if you are shooting Major Power Factor loads,  I do recommend them as there is quite a pressure difference there.  If I had a 10mm 1911, I would probably at least try them in it. But I don't have a 10mm and can't really say. 

I've never tried them in the Berettas. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tercel89 said:

Ok thanks all. I see the pros of it but the cons would be if it broke into pieces during the operation of the gun. I think I'll run some in my gun at the range and see how it goes and leave them out of my gun when I carry it for defense. 

That is honestly probably the best route. The slightest risk of a malfunction in a defense scenario isn't worth it. 

• 1 month later...

For competition most load their own ammo. Hence it is usually not as hot as a factory round. So I’m that case the buffer is less useful  There is both reduced recoil and pressure with “target” loads  

Have never liked buggers when used on 1911’s  Guns I had needed a bit of tweaking to work reliably with the installed buffer