Tested some handguns today (random thoughts)

Slasher

So I got up this morning and went down to Range USA this morning to test out some handguns before I purchase my first handgun. I am looking at .40's so that is all I tested today. I will start by saying that I am very new to this and I am writing this just to bounce ideas off everyone. When I took my THCC class a few weeks ago I tested with the XD 40 and really liked it plus I shot real well with it.

I started with the Glock 23. It seemed to kick more than any of the other guns today and I didn't really like the way it felt in my hand. I shot about 10 rounds and had descent groupings for a beginner but it just didn't feel right.

The second gun I got was the S&W M&P 40. I really like the way this one felt. It didn't seem like it kicked as bad as the Glock did and I had good groupings with the one also. It felt real good in my hand also.

The third gun was a Sig 226. This was probably my favorite as far as the way it felt when I shot it. It seemed to have the least recoil of all the others today and felt like a real solid gun. The only issue with it is the cost. I was told that everything else I was looking at was around $550 and the Sig was closer to $800.

The last thing I shot was the XD 40. I shot this one really well in class and if felt real good again today. Second least recoil behind the Sig, as far as I could tell and I like the safety features on it.

The XDm 40 is what I am leaning towards but wanted to see what others had to say. I have about $600 once the tax return gets back and am ready to invest in my on gun.

Thanks for listening.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try out a hk usp in .40sw, that was my second gun after a sw sigma 9mm and also had a xd-45 at the same time and the hk had a much smoother action and just felt like it was better made, probably tighter tolerances. ive never shot a sig before so i cant compare to it. also i do remember that it is much smoother than the glocks that i have owned. however its been so long since i shot it that i cant fairly compare it to my xdm-9 but the xdm seems smoother than my xd-45.

also my hk was more accurate than any other gun i have owned, save my xd-45, it just fit my hand like a glove.

Guest colombianito1021

my first was a xd 40. i love it. it shoots awesome and just what i wanted. a little big so i also bought a walther pps .40 to carry. i recoil is snappy but i still like it. i dont think you can go wrong with the xd.

Guest Dean_JC78

I just ordered a Sig 226 today. They rock. I have found it is better to get exactly what you want because if you do not then you might never be happy with what you get and end up getting what you really want down the road and paying way more for it.

So in short, get the one you want and find a way to make the money work.

Guest johnmattwill
I just ordered a Sig 226 today. They rock. I have found it is better to get exactly what you want because if you do not then you might never be happy with what you get and end up getting what you really want down the road and paying way more for it.

So in short, get the one you want and find a way to make the money work.

A Sig 226 is an excellent choice, you cant go wrong with Sig Sauer........ My favorite is a Sig P220 R Carry, reliable, accurate... and sexy!!!! :D

Guest JHatmaker

I've owned both a SA XDM .40 and SIG 226. I like the SIG a lot better, but it's also a different gun, so it's not really an apples to apples comparison vs the XD.

If you can save up a little bit longer, I'd get the SIG, trust me, you'll be hooked.

If you decide to go ahead and pull the trigger on one, I'd definately get the XDM vs the standard XD. I think it shoots better, has the match grade barrel, comes with a tone of extra goodies, and is all around an awesome gun for the money. The biggest factor though in considering a gun is what feels good to you, b/c what's good for one person is not good for another. You want to feel confident and safe handling and shooting a gun, so get the one that feels the best to you.

Good luck!

Guest 70below

If you go Sig......consider the model that comes as a .22lr, with a certificate that you can redeem within a year for a .357 sig, .40s&w, or 9mm top half for $399. You end up with about $900 ($500 initial, $399 down the road) into it, but you have two calibers on the same platform.

Give the G22 a try.....its got a much better feel than the G23 to me surprisingly. And you can find the G22 police trade in's for $350 and still possibly afford another pistol (Kel-tec, P22, Mosquito, Taurus???)

Guest hickok

Smart move to try them all! I did it the hard way by buying them all. The advantage was that I could mess with them and shoot them for months and years before I settled on one. I couldn't find anything better than the Glock for any price, but it's all personal preference, so keep shooting them and noticing your groups with each one. Especially notice your two shot groups, the first two shots. This is particularly important if the gun involves double action on the first shot and single action on the second.

Just my .02 worth.

Guest captain

See if you can get your hands on a Beretta PX4 Storm 40 cal. I just sold both of my Glocks and bought the Beretta at Bud's gun shop on the web for $535.00. It's a great gun and shoots better than the Glock's or the S&W 5906 that I have.

Guest abailey362

i have a xdM and a Sig P229 both in .40. Both are good guns with their purposes. The xd is for competition and if I'm going to carry one I go with the Sig as it's a tad smaller and definately is sexier :koolaid:

That being said I normally carry my kahr CW40 as it's much smaller and easier to conceal and much more comfy to wear all day.

I would ask if your primary use for the gun is concealed carry or shooting at the range. If your looking for concealed carry I would go for a lighter gun.

It might be hard to find one to "try out", but I would recommend checking out a CZ P-06. I have a P-01, and it is mine and my wifes favorite to shoot. As well as anyone else who has shot it likes the way it fits in their hands and shoots.

I would ask if your primary use for the gun is concealed carry or shooting at the range. If your looking for concealed carry I would go for a lighter gun.

I am thinking that this will be more of a range/home defense gun. Once I am more comfortable with a firearm then I will start to look for a carry weapon.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, this is a great place.

I will start by saying that I am very new to this and I am writing this just to bounce ideas off everyone.

Well at $800 you have opened the door to most any handgun, so I wouldn’t pick an XD.

At $550 you would be comparing the XD to the M&P. You have shot them both so that should be an easy call for you. I have shot them both and I think the M&P is a far better firearm than the XD, but that is just my opinion.

However…. The M&P is totally made in America by American workers. The XD is made by a foreign company in a foreign country. That is not my opinion that is fact. Therefore the choice is pretty easy for me… not only do I get the best built firearm; but I help keep my fellow American workers in jobs. But that is important to me; it may not matter to you. :stunned:

Or Slasher you could pick what feels right for you as a defensive weapon and not let other people's opinions or bias influence you. :D

Yep. If you want to get the max for that $600, with an M&P you'll get 4 magazines with the current promotion, plus you should be able to get it for less that an XDm and way less than a SIG. Mags are expensive. Ridiculously so.

You can't go wrong with any of the ones you tested. The 23 is a "compact" model and a bit snappy compared to other "full-sized" guns and maybe not what you're looking for. But if you just want something for the house....:D

Edited by Garufa