Zen and the Art of the Single Shot Rifle

crc4

It's easy to get caught up in the latest and greatest firearms that show up daily in our inboxes, youtube channels, magazines, gun shops, and wherever a gun person goes in search of a new thrill. I know because I do it myself, even when I think I'm not doing it.

This Guns Magazine podcast with Roy Huntington, Zen and the Art of the Single Shot Rifle, may make you reconsider that chase cycle that's so easy to fall into. 

Listening to Roy may help you remember why some of us lost our way and how we might change for the better and become wiser, content, and grateful to discover what we have often lost along the way and how we might recover the deeper values with the tools we love.

Take the time to listen.    Zen and the Art of the Single Shot Rifle - Roy Huntington

My Son in Law wanted to give my 14 Y O grandson a semi auto shotgun. I gave him a single shot 410.  I told SIL Parker needed to get accustomed to shooting a single shot or a pump first. Told SIL he couldn't purchase ammo fast enough for his kid to burn in a semi auto. He thought about it and agreed. Sure is a lot of merit to single shot rifles and shotguns for the young. For sure, with ammo so expensive and hard to come by. I learned on the 410 when I was 8. Learned how to make shots count also. Dad made me purchase my own ammo. Mowed yards for money to hunt. 

• Like 1

Great thoughts here!

My first gun was a Savage Model 24; .22 LR over .410 gauge.  My Dad taught me that I first had to "master"  a single shot gun before moving on to anything else.  When I showed I could shoot proficiently with the .22, I moved up to Dad's Winchester Model 63 (which I still have today!).  He set the goal that I had to shoot a dove with my single barrel .410, and when I masterd that, I inherited my grandfather's L.C. Smith Field Grade double-barrel in 16 gauge!

• Like 1