Cumberland County Area UTV Side by Side shopping

Looking for advice on several levels; I'm getting ready to buy my first side by side UTV. I have a few acres of my own to ride around on, and the area is full of trails open to UTVs. Money IS an object, but I don't want one that is 2WD only or has a top end of 17mph, either. Prefer a bench seat, dump bed, decent ground clearance.

What brands do I look at and where (locally) do I look?

Any help would be much appreciated, looking at "new only" right now, because I am that "unlucky guy" that ALWAYS buys someone else's problems...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Polaris Ranger is pretty well the standard for what you outline.  The Ranger 570 will probably do anything you want.  I would test drive one and then compare some others to it.    The Honda Pioneer uses a different type of transmission, but I prefer the Polaris in this case even though it is a CVT.   For me, the suspension of the Ranger is just better.

I can't speak to all of the others, but drive them all.   I think they are all pretty decent, but there will be some little things you may like better on each.  As cost is a factor, just keep the engine size down to the smaller options.   They won't be as fast, but they will go just about anywhere the others will.  

I bought my Waverunner from Tommy's Motorsports.  It wasn't the one in Crossville, but they were good to deal with.  I would give them a try since they seem to carry most of them.

When you do drive them, go over some curbs, etc at a decent rate of speed to get a feel for the suspension.  Not super fast of course, but not just slowly crawling up it either.  Just driving them on the road isn't going to show much difference.

You might want to check out S&R Marine Plus in Cookeville as they also sell a number of different brands of UTV's. They have a showroom full of them. You need to ask for Wayne and tell him Doug with the Skeeter Bass Boat told you to stop in. He has a top of the line service department.

I've owned several brands of ATVs. I currently own a Polaris RZR and it will be the last Polaris I ever own.  It always needs something despite rigorous maintenance and easy use.  Everything on a Polaris is hard to get to.  I've talked to owners of just about everything and done mountains of research. A Honda Pioneer will be my next ride.  I'd stay far away from CFmoto and anything else Chinese as well.