Canning vegetables

It's usually pretty obvious when they're bad. More acidic stuff lasts longer than fruit jams. I've got pickled jalapeños from 2017 that are still just fine.  I've got some peach jam from 2019 thats also fine, but doesn't seem to last long once it's opened. 

• Like 1

peejman is spot on imho.

I currently have jalapenos and kosher dill pickles from 2019 on my shelves and they are still fine.

While I've eaten home canned foods that were greater than 5 years old (still had a solid seal) the texture seems to deteriorate over time. And sources such as Balls Blue Book and the USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning  indicate nutrient value (i.e.vitamin content) also diminish over time.

What is canned and the storage conditions play a role as well.

I try and use up my home canned items, be it meat, canned fresh vegetables, or pressure canned older previously dried beans within 5 years. But they are stored in my climate controlled and light controlled basement pantry.

One thing I do when I can, waterbath or pressure can, is to leave the jars on the counter overnight and then remove the rings and gently wash the jars with warm soap and water before dating and storing them. This is to remove any food particle matter at the sealed lid that might encourage bacterial growth and weaken the seal. That's the recommendation I've followed and it's served me well over the past 15+ years. YMMV

I have some figs and chow chow that my MIL canned and she left the rings on, as she learned to do and early spoilage hasn't been an issue...

ETA Drying or discoloration may occur on foods above the moisture level. As long as the seal is still solid this is primarily cosmetic... just looks bad, but it should still be OK to eat or cook with as it's sealed environment is sterile. Or just spoon it out and toss it 😉

Peppers and pickles canned 2019.jpg

Canned foods 2022.jpg

Chow Chow Winnie Sue 2016.jpg

Edited by Jamie Jackson
  • Like 1

Thanks all     All of my seals intact and look good from outside and have been in a climate controlled environment but date is 2008 thinking toss out to old taste and nutrients to old  Cows will enjoy they eat most everything lol 

Edited by Sleep profit

2008?

I thought I was bad about hanging on to stuff! LOL

I agree @Sleep profit. Compost pile or cows..I'd toss on my compost pile myself. 🙂

I've used the below resource linked for a long time as they update the info.

USDA and extensions are also useful.

FWIW I have recently used commercially canned vegetables that were just shy of 10 years old. These had the solid lid seal and not the pull top variety. Those vegetables tasted fine, but I used them in making French Market soup.

I have definitely eaten C-Rats that were Vietnam era issue in the late 70's to early 80's with no ill effect. C-Rats never tasted good anyway...

Here's a couple of links. Hope folks find them useful.

https://extension.usu.edu/preserve-the-harvest/research/storing-canned-goods

https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html#gsc.tab=0

https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving/dp/0778801314/ref=pd_lpo_sccl_3/146-2724270-6897436?pd_rd_w=C1Qw4&content-id=amzn1.sym.116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_p=116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_r=EABT29TGH6E0FC5SFXYE&pd_rd_wg=kHBPi&pd_rd_r=8f680c65-8bb4-4b59-933d-c373bf3f1d82&pd_rd_i=0778801314&psc=1

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

I know this is a little late since post was from last year, canning is a great way to preserve food. However, it’s not like freeze dried food that lasts years. You should rotate your stock to ensure freshness, generally the longest you should keep your canned food is around 18 months up to 24 months depending on the food.  There are a lot of great resources available to reference, for these questions.

• Like 1

I agree @918HCKR that all foods should be rotated. FIFO concept.

That said I do have home canned foods that have kept well for 4 years and, some, longer.

The foods, of course, lose nutritional value and texture. I remove my rings after 24 hours and gently wash the jars in warm soapy water. It's easier to check for a break in the seal without the rings causing a "false seal".

Don't take me wrong please. I think the 18-24 months is a solid recommendation, just not an absolute.

I'll be using some pickled jalapeños in a recipe today that I canned in 2019. The seal was great but the pepper texture is soft. Taste is still awesome 🙂

When I help folks get started in canning I always recommend strictly following trusted guidelines, such as Ball's Bluebook  and USDA too.

Since I'm gimped up (ankle surgery) I'll be very late getting my garden started this year, but look forward to grabbing some fresh veggies from the local farmer's market and canning them . 🙂 

Canning links below:

https://www.nifa.usda.gov/about-nifa/blogs/usdas-complete-guide-home-canning

https://nchfp.uga.edu/#gsc.tab=0

https://www.ballmasonjars.com/products/essentials-accessories/accessories/ball®-blue-book®-guide-to-preserving%2C-37th-edition/SAP_1440021411.html

• Like 1
On 3/27/2024 at 7:48 AM, 918HCKR said:

I know this is a little late since post was from last year, canning is a great way to preserve food. However, it’s not like freeze dried food that lasts years. You should rotate your stock to ensure freshness, generally the longest you should keep your canned food is around 18 months up to 24 months depending on the food.  There are a lot of great resources available to reference, for these questions.

Put the new ones in the back. I learned that working at a grocery store as a kid.