Sen. Corker on the fence about AW ban?

Guest tnjimbob

Guest tnjimbob

I wrote to our esteemed senators regarding the potential reintroduction of the assault weapons ban. Here is his response (emphasis added):

"Thank you for taking the time to contact my office to share your concerns about legislation seeking to reinstate the Assault Weapons Ban, including H.R.1022 and H.R. 6257 in the U.S. House of Representatives. Your input is important to me, and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

The Assault Weapons Ban was enacted for a 10-year period ending in 2004. The law made certain semiautomatic weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices illegal. H.R. 6257 is the most recent effort to reinstate the ban for another 10-year period.

The effectiveness of the original ban in meeting its purpose of preventing crime and saving lives is uncertain at best. It often made arbitrary distinctions when selecting which firearms to ban and which would remain lawful to sell and possess. This is not a prescription for wise policy going forward, particularly when placing limits on an individual's constitutional rights. Should legislation reinstating the Assault Weapons Ban be reintroduced in the 111th Congress, I do not plan to support it.

As you may know, the U.S. Supreme Court recently reaffirmed our 2nd Amendment rights, striking down the District of Columbia's handgun ban. I fully support the Supreme Court's decision in that landmark case because I strongly believe in protecting our constitutional rights. The decision is exceptionally significant because for the first time in our nation's history, the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed that gun ownership is an individual right protected by the Constitution.

The right to own firearms for shooting, hunting, and self-protection is important to me as a Tennessean and as an American. I believe in safeguarding the rights of law-abiding American citizens. I will be a consistent voice for the second amendment, and I will fight attempts to weaken those rights that are granted in the Constitution."

What if I wrote the IRS stating "I don't plan to pay my taxes if I can find an alternate solution"? Will they come get me, audit me or put me on some special list? Not sure I want to vote for a senator who sounds noncommittal about something this important to gun owners... not that I own any. :D

What do you think about his response?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks word for word the same letter I got just a while ago with a attachment. Also I have not gotten anything from Alexander and do not have much faith in him. I thought the letter was good but I read it in a hurry and may have missed something. I'll read it again a little closer.

Corks vote will go to the highest bidder

True. And we all know where a cork goes in a barrel - it gets stuck in the bung hole. So as mustangdave said, whoever bids the highest, that's the bung he'll stick his head in.

Guest GhostHunter

I also emailed Corker and got the same exact reply word for word (except for the last name in the greeting I suppose). Typical form letter, I guess.

But, he did respond, so I guess that's a plus, which is a lot more than I can say for Lamar Alexander. I guess he's too high and mighty to respond to a lowly constituent. Has anybody gotten a response from him on the AW issue?

Guest GhostHunter
True. And we all know where a cork goes in a barrel - it gets stuck in the bung hole. So as mustangdave said, whoever bids the highest, that's the bung he'll stick his head in.

SAD, BUT TRUE!

That was quite graphic, and the mental image it conjured up was not a good one. It may take a couple shots of Jack Daniels to get rid of that one!

I received the same response from Corker yesterday (word for word). It also came with an attachment explaining his position on 2A. Says he is a hunter and avid shooter - or something like that. I let him know that I would not vote for him next time around if he votes for any kind of AWB.

Have not heard a thing from Alexandar.

... which is a lot more than I can say for Lamar Alexander. I guess he's too high and mighty to respond to a lowly constituent.

Lamar wanted to be president, that's all. All other positions he has held were just to have a job and keep in the best spotlight he can.

The University of TN has never recovered from his short and ruinous stay as the belated "well, okay, I'll be president of UT until I get a better offer" SOB he is. He was directly responsible for pissing the legislature off during tough budget time, so they whacked UT, and it has never had the same proportion of funding since.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Lamar wanted to be president, that's all. All other positions he has held were just to have a job and keep in the best spotlight he can.

The University of TN has never recovered from his short and ruinous stay as the belated "well, okay, I'll be president of UT until I get a better offer" SOB he is. He was directly responsible for pissing the legislature off during tough budget time, so they whacked UT, and it has never had the same proportion of funding since.

- OS

Hey! My diploma has Lamar's sig on it! The last year he ever signed. Am I no longer certified! :D

Hey! My diploma has Lamar's sig on it! The last year he ever signed. Am I no longer certified! :D

I used to follow the dip around with AV support on his mostly not even UT related stumping ventures.

You're probably lucky that the Board of Regents didn't rescind all diplomas under his tenure!

- OS

I used to follow the dip around with AV support on his mostly not even UT related stumping ventures.

You're probably lucky that the Board of Regents didn't rescind all diplomas under his tenure!

- OS

Did you wear that red plaid shirt too? I'm edchukated, don't need his paper anyhows.

Back on topic: Corker is a tool. He does not look out for the best interests of the people or State of TN. East Tennesseeans should know this, especially those around the Kingston or Chattanooga areas.

Edited by Garufa
SAD, BUT TRUE!

That was quite graphic, and the mental image it conjured up was not a good one. It may take a couple shots of Jack Daniels to get rid of that one!

Sorry about that. I'm just tired of getting stabbed in the back by these losers. I didn't want Corker, but that's what was left after the primary. And he turned out to be just like I figured he would.

Guest Dragonman

Say what you want but at least this isn't the left coast or the liberal east coast where the senatorial constituents say that all guns are evil. One reason I live in the south.

Guest frankcostanza
I let both Corker and Alexander know, after the first bailout vote last year, that I'd never vote for either of them again.

Same here. Theyre both idiots. If they're going to vote like democrats, there might as well be a democrat in their chair.

One thing we must always try to remember- they are POLITICIANS! there are some that are better than others, but the bottom line is they are what they are. I tend to vote Republican usually, solely because I kinda think that they are usually the lesser of two evils. Not good, mind you but slightly less evil, lol,.

Guest mustangdave
Says he is a hunter and avid shooter - or something like that.

If a politician is an AVID hunter...the only thing he's hunting is VOTES...if those jabronies go on a "hunt"...its probably preplanned and scheduled for media coverage...and CANNED or staged

Guest tnjimbob
If a politician is an AVID hunter...the only thing he's hunting is VOTES...if those jabronies go on a "hunt"...its probably preplanned and scheduled for media coverage...and CANNED or staged

Kinda like Jawn Kerry's staged hunting trip when he was running for President (to relate to the common folk, presumably) and photos circulated that showed he had no clue how to handle a gun. :stare:

The higher position elected officials obtain, the more out of touch with reality they become.