Reasons why someone should get a hand gun carry permit

icruz

On 1/30/2024 at 7:52 AM, FUJIMO said:

I have purposely drove AROUND Illinois in past trips because of their $hitty laws

When we travel out west or haul horses out that way and have to cut through parts of Illinois, we always fuel up before we get in the state so we don't need to buy anything in there and pay taxes to those liberal idiots.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • 3 months later...

Reasons to get Tennessee's Enhanced Carry Permit.

01.  Some states will not recognize Constitutional Carry.  Those that don't require you to have a carry permit issued by your home state.

02.  With Constitutional Carry if you are forced to use that firearm, a good lawyer will crucify you in court if you can prove your qualified to carry.

03.  Training is very important to carry a firearm and practice is just as important.  Just getting 8 hours of classroom and an hour on the range is not enough.  You need to practice regularly.

I moved to Tennessee from Iowa and to Iowa from Illinois in 2008.  I spent 26 years in the military and for about 15 of those years I was a Range Coach and an RSO and helped train over 500 personel on handguns, M-16's and shotguns.   I was lucky enough to be in a Battalion that thought handgun training was important because MOST people in the US Military DO NOT GET ENOUGH TRAINING WITH HANDGUNS, unless they are Masters at Arms,  MP's Ect.

I took the NRA Instructor Class's in Basic Pistol, Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, PPITH and PPOTH and also Chief Range Safety Officer.  I taught both Illinois and Iowa CC class's.   Iowa's was an 8 hr class. Illinois Requires 16 Hrs to get a Concealed Only Permit and Illinois doesn't recognize any other states permits that I know of.  Moving out of Illinois was the smartest thing I ever did.

In my years involved in instructing I formed an opinion that too much training is never really too much.  

One of the reasons is reciprocity with other states.  13 states do not recognize the TN permit.  Another reason is the TN ECP does a decent job in the applicable laws and emphasis on safety.  One cannot carry a handgun in any Park in TN without a valid permit.  Training does not have an endpoint.

• Like 1

My lifetime EHCP should be in the mail any day now. Training class reminded me of others that I've taken in the past but there was plenty of new information, TN specific and universal, that was good to brush up on. Even if laws aren't changing, how they are interpreted and enforced does change regularly so getting a current understanding of that was valuable. Even though it's not a requirement, I would consider taking a similar class again in 5-8 years simply to get up-to-date. The classes are cheaper than lawyer time and you get some range time along with getting learnt real good. 

You can get the 8 year permit for $100, training was $80 so for the cost of a Hi-Point you too could save yourself some grief later if you plan to EDC. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, LangdoniousRex said:

My lifetime EHCP should be in the mail any day now. Training class reminded me of others that I've taken in the past but there was plenty of new information, TN specific and universal, that was good to brush up on. Even if laws aren't changing, how they are interpreted and enforced does change regularly so getting a current understanding of that was valuable. Even though it's not a requirement, I would consider taking a similar class again in 5-8 years simply to get up-to-date. The classes are cheaper than lawyer time and you get some range time along with getting learnt real good. 

You can get the 8 year permit for $100, training was $80 so for the cost of a Hi-Point you too could save yourself some grief later if you plan to EDC. 

How much was the lifetime permit?

13 hours ago, Nicko said:

How much was the lifetime permit?

If one already has a permit, it will cost $200 to convert to lifetime.  Renewal for 8 yrs is $50.  So......near time of renewal essentially for an additional $150 it could be converted to a lifetime.  Background check is done every 5 yrs automatically with the lifetime.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2023 at 8:44 PM, jeff43 said:

I think there should be MORE TRAINING to get a carry permit.There are too many idiots that have a TN .carry permit that DO NOT need one,don’t even know how to handle a handgun! Much less giving people the right to carry a handgun without a permit.That’s my rant. 

Permit holders have proven to be safer and commit less crime than some of our law enforcement people.

On 5/27/2024 at 7:09 PM, tnhawk said:

Permit holders have proven to be safer and commit less crime than some of our law enforcement people.

Collectively……a true statement.  No offense to the blue intended.  I also agree with more training and expanded carry with the ECP.

Edited by chances R
  • Like 1
On 11/27/2023 at 8:52 AM, Grayfox54 said:

With rights come responsibilities. You have the right to own a gun. You have a responsibility to learn how to properly use it and learn the laws about carrying it. Getting the permit proves that you are a responsible gun owner with at least some training.  This could prove helpful if you ever have to deal with LE or the court system.  

I would not consider the handgun carry permit class training. Far from it from what I saw at the class. It may prove that you can pull a trigger but training it was not.  I think two many people do think its training and that's all they need. I would have passed that "training" blind folded. We had a guy that before the class told me he shot a lot. He had a single action 45 that he had just bought. They stopped the class because he was not on paper from 5 yards out. He passed.  50 rounds from 3,5 and 7 yards is not training. 

6 minutes ago, 45guy said:

I would not consider the handgun carry permit class training. Far from it from what I saw at the class. It may prove that you can pull a trigger but training it was not.  I think two many people do think its training and that's all they need. I would have passed that "training" blind folded. We had a guy that before the class told me he shot a lot. He had a single action 45 that he had just bought. They stopped the class because he was not on paper from 5 yards out. He passed.  50 rounds from 3,5 and 7 yards is not training. 

Navigating the current legal landscape and understanding the responsibility of carrying a permit IS the training. The shooting test is as basic as basic can be. Not much different than getting a driver's license. The written test takes the most time and study. The driving test is a basic skills assessment. Once you have acquired said license, you have the freedom to improve your skills on your own time. Put miles down, put lead down range. Same, same.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LangdoniousRex said:

Navigating the current legal landscape and understanding the responsibility of carrying a permit IS the training. The shooting test is as basic as basic can be. Not much different than getting a driver's license. The written test takes the most time and study. The driving test is a basic skills assessment. Once you have acquired said license, you have the freedom to improve your skills on your own time. Put miles down, put lead down range. Same, same.

What!  Getting out on the road, driving through traffic, following the traffic laws? Nothing like 50 rds at 3,5 and 7 yards with no pressure, no laws to obey.  Not sure there was any basic skills assessment for the guy that did ours. Be on paper pass the test that was it.  There was nothing about grip, stance or trigger pull. My guy was not a legal expert. Matter of fact dealing with anything legal would have opened him up to a lawsuit. (my instructor told me i could shot the guy). Getting a DL was much more stressful and harder that the HG permit class.