SCCY Bought it 2023 -- Failures

I had a Taurus 380 that was an issue (Taurus under warranty fixed it and was more reliable), That said,  I decided a 380 was worthless in terms of cost of AMMO compared to a 9MM and not that different in recoil.

Anyway, I traded it for SCYY 9mm (no safety model). So, this is my experience with the SCCY. 

Kind of like shooting it, but can't depend on it for relaibilty (Fail to Feed, and Fail to go into Battery).  I called SCCY and they sent me two new Magazines. Overall the gun has improved after a number of rounds thru it, but still some failures and not sure it is particular Mag related.  

It  fails frequently enough that I don't trust it as a Carry gun. I can sometimes run two MAG starting with one in Chamber and No Failures and other times run two Mags and get 1 or 2 Failures ( more Fail to go into Battery than Fail to Feed, but also Fail to Feed). Fail to Battery not too bad to correct, hit the slide an it goes int battery. Fail to feed takes longer to correct. 

It has enough failures that I don't trust it as a carry gun VS my Taurus Milienium bought in 2016.

I liked the feel of the SCCY as a smaller carry gun and with 10 Rd Mag (legal in most all states), thought be a good gun for some occasions. 

SCCY (warranty) originally said they would take it back (not sure who pays shipping). I said wait and let me try it awhile.

Finally checked to send it back, found out shipping would be $30 in and $30 out ($60 total). I  decided not worth it $$$ wise (kind of doubt they have a fix as originally seemed to blame it on MAGs).  I'll keep it for fun shooting fun shooting and maybe it will get better? 

an

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, chances R said:

I have 2 SCCYs.  One was  ammo picky with HP.  Called and they sent a shipping label, got it back in one week.  No problems since.  I would tell you to try calling them again.

They agreed to take it in: I can ship in (what $$$ and I'm not sure who will ship it), or they can send shipping label ($30). Plus another $30 to return it to me.  Don;t think it is worth the $$$. 

• Like 1

Here is their warranty:

THANK YOU!
Thank you for purchasing aSCY firearm. Thsi product carries alimited product waranty that stays with the firearm. nI the event your SCY firearm requires service please contact our factory service department directly.
Call Tol Free: 866-729-7599
Email: service@sccy.com
Our busines hours are 8:30am ot 5:00pm, Monday through Friday, EST.
CPX-4
LIMITED WARRANTY ON THE MODEL C P FIREARM
THE MODEL CPX FIREARM SI WARANTED OTEB FRE FROM DEFECTS)NI MATERAIL AND WORKMANSHPI FOR ALIFETIME FROM THE DATE OF PURCHASE.
ANY SUCH DEFECTS WILL BE REMEDIED BY SCCY INDUSTRIES, PENDING SCCY INDUSTRIES INSPECTION OF THE ENTIRE FIREARM. SERVICE DUE TO DEFECT(S) WITHIN THE TERMS OF THE WARRANTY WLIL BE FREE OF CHARGE. CONTACT THE FACTORY TA 866-729-7599 AND SPEAK WTIH THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT BEFORE SHIPING YOUR FRIEARM FOR SERVICE.
SCY INDUSTRIES WLIL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DEFECT(S) CAUSED YB CARELES HANDLNIG, UNAUTHORIZED ADJUSTMENT, MODIFICATIONS, IMPROPER AMMUNITION,
CORROSION, NEGLECT, ABUSE, NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR, OR ANY UNREASONABLE USE. NI THE EVENT THAT YOUR FIREARM REQUIRES SERVICE BEYOND THE WARANTY TERMS, SCY INDUSTRIES WLIL CONTACT YOU AND GVI E YOU AN ESTIMATE OF CHARGES BEFORE ANY WORK SI PERFORMED. ANY CHARGES MUST BE PAID-IN-FULL BEFORE THE FIREARM SI SHIPPED BACK OT YOU.
SCCY INDUSTRIES 1800 CONCEPT CT. DAYTONA BEACH, FL 32114
MADE IN US

Looks like they are not doing what they said….disappointing and good to know. To me that was an important selling point.  Too many other decent guns in that price range.  Glad they didn’t move to TN as planned several years ago.

I've read that they can be a "hit or miss" kind of thing online.

But I bought one from a guy at work several ago. He was one of those buy frequently-hardly ever shoot gun guys.

I paid very little for it.

I ran around 800 rounds of a combination handloads and factory range ammo through it. Then 100 rounds Federal 147 gr HST.

It had a couple of FTF within the 1st 200 rounds but never bobbled again after that. For such a light weight gun and with such a long deliberate trigger pull I found it a remarkable little gun. It's not something I would replace my Glocks or Smiths with, but I found my sample of one very shootable. And quite accurate out to the 15 yards in the  indoor range where I was shooting at the time (ORSA).

I had a total of 4 mags for it and they all functioned fine.

My son has it as a 2nd "house gun" at this point.

I hope you get yours worked out to your satisfaction.

• Like 3

I own two SCCY CPX-2 pistols (9mm / no safety) and both function reliably and are as accurate as most of my other 9mm guns. I'm sorry you got one that seems to work properly less than 100% of the time.

@PAULSHOOT

I would order a new recoil spring assembly (RSA). Failure to go into battery sounds like a weak RSA. It would be an inexpensive thing to try to see if it might sort out your gun. Maybe call SCCY, explain the shipping cost issue & ask if they'd send a new RSA for you to try in lieu of you sending the gun in. Worst they could say is "no".

Here's one aftermarket option for $39.95 that might help: https://www.mcarbo.com/sccy-cpx-1-/-cpx-2-extra-power-recoil-spring-stainless-steel-captured-guide-rod-assembly.aspx